This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil/Lubricant ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil/Lubricant ??
    Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
There was a post last night on NAT from a member that farms and also has a legitimate "REPAIR" business. He warned of his bulk oil supplier of a 27% upcharge in "engine/tranny/final drive fluids Ouch Is this true for those of you "in-the-know" ??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:21pm
well, gasoline is up 30%.... and propane is close to that.... makes sense !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:29pm
No, the "gasoline" cost is "supposedly" NOT involved, I can not speak of the Propane Embarrassed 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:40pm
The $$ of "regular" is still the same for "MULTIPLE" stations "here" for the past 2 weeks, $3.19- $3.39 (within 6 miles  Geek).
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:40pm
5 gallon bucket of hyd fluid went up by $10 , Hi-Tran for IH or universal fluid also went up about the same - a so called special price sale is the same price as what it was at regular price just a few months back . 
 Seems trans fluid doubled also . 
News Story the storage area in Oklahoma where pipelines store is low and oil shortage looming - 
 Odd little over a year back the US was producing more oil and exporting but now - we are short oil and might have to import . 
  Ah yes and that Keystone Pipeline was not needed about 11 months back and Sleepy Joe axed it . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:48pm
Coke, any idea of what the $$ of petroleum products "might be" today if "YOURS TRULY" was still "making an appearance" at the WH  while tanning on his golf course ('s) ??
YOU brought up politics BTW WinkWink ClapClap

Edited by FREEDGUY - 29 Oct 2021 at 8:50pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm
YOU asked the stupid question... Price of CRUDE is up... price of gas is up... price or propane and Nat gas is up... WHY would you expect a cut rate deal on oil ???  Didnt happen "last week"... this is an on going problem for the past 6 months.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:44am
Freed, why do you ask questions when most folks know the answer ahead of time the answer is "political."  Confused
Never mind about kicking back some mindless drivel, I will not go there.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:48am
BOTH Grandfathers worked refineries, I likely got explained a lot more than most will EVER Understand of Petroleum over the years I was around them.

Crude oil variants are widely spread, from Ultra Sweet darn near to fuel grade right out of the bore to asphaltic Heavy Bunker(Named as was a Ships Fuel same time as Coal) Oil.  ALL can deliver a percentage of Fuels, Heavy oils Less and Lighter oils more but are Secondary to almost By Product level to Oils and Greases along with Paraffins(Wax).  New processes allow More Light aromatics as Naptha(Gasoline base) to be released but the primary function of Refineries is to produce Lubricant grade materials.

Take a gallon tub of base Petroleum produced Bearing Grease, relatively cheap at four to five dollars a tub.  From a 42 gallon Oil Field Barrel comes around 10-20 gallons of base Grease, a level of Base petroleum Oils(Gear lubes to motor oil bases) at around six to ten gallons and the remainder is split to aromatics(Fuel Oil and Naptha) with the final component part as Asphaltic Bunker with the non recoverable gasses burned off in flares on those sites.  Recovery of Light Aromatics and the entrained gasses leave around 35-40 GALLONS of base stocks where the aromatics are already paid for.  At avg $4.50 per gallon tub and get close to 20 tubs that alone $90, then base oils with additives at close to 5 Gallons around $4/gallon, gear lubricant weights and then all the aromatics as well they burn some 2-10% of the base Crude to develop the refining process so little expense there, a $80 Oil Field Barrel has paid for itself usually twice with half of one payoff used to repair/improve and or build the refineries the rest is CLEAR and Clean Profit to shareholders.

Residual materials as plastic base, nylon base, other small fractions components are PURE Profit and STILL get paraffins as well.

Easy comparison, fill a jar with small rocks til filled, then add a amount of sand to those rocks til fills again, then add liquid again til filled, put a lid on and apply pressurized gas, it will become absorbed/entrained in the liquid.  Petroleum is a similarly entrained compound of materials at different boiling points or ability to blend into other semi liquid components.

Edited by DMiller - 30 Oct 2021 at 10:51am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:07pm
Since we never give you the answer you want Freedguy you tell me why you think the price of dino jucice is up. 

From a post a week back or so you been down to get your name on the list to get a electric powered truck?

You have stated a dislike of unions and unions are the biggest promoter of Dems so why do you like them?

As a person I think Trump is a jerk. But he is the first president since Regan that has not crawled out of the muck and mire of the Washington swamp. Nobody that spends time in congress and seems to be able to not get bought by somebody other than the people in the home district. With my time watching the R's are no better than the D's. The current path this country is on will lead to a Chicness dictator controlling this country.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

BOTH Grandfathers worked refineries, I likely got explained a lot more than most will EVER Understand of Petroleum over the years I was around them.

Crude oil variants are widely spread, from Ultra Sweet darn near to fuel grade right out of the bore to asphaltic Heavy Bunker(Named as was a Ships Fuel same time as Coal) Oil.  ALL can deliver a percentage of Fuels, Heavy oils Less and Lighter oils more but are Secondary to almost By Product level to Oils and Greases along with Paraffins(Wax).  New processes allow More Light aromatics as Naptha(Gasoline base) to be released but the primary function of Refineries is to produce Lubricant grade materials.

Take a gallon tub of base Petroleum produced Bearing Grease, relatively cheap at four to five dollars a tub.  From a 42 gallon Oil Field Barrel comes around 10-20 gallons of base Grease, a level of Base petroleum Oils(Gear lubes to motor oil bases) at around six to ten gallons and the remainder is split to aromatics(Fuel Oil and Naptha) with the final component part as Asphaltic Bunker with the non recoverable gasses burned off in flares on those sites.  Recovery of Light Aromatics and the entrained gasses leave around 35-40 GALLONS of base stocks where the aromatics are already paid for.  At avg $4.50 per gallon tub and get close to 20 tubs that alone $90, then base oils with additives at close to 5 Gallons around $4/gallon, gear lubricant weights and then all the aromatics as well they burn some 2-10% of the base Crude to develop the refining process so little expense there, a $80 Oil Field Barrel has paid for itself usually twice with half of one payoff used to repair/improve and or build the refineries the rest is CLEAR and Clean Profit to shareholders.

Residual materials as plastic base, nylon base, other small fractions components are PURE Profit and STILL get paraffins as well.

Easy comparison, fill a jar with small rocks til filled, then add a amount of sand to those rocks til fills again, then add liquid again til filled, put a lid on and apply pressurized gas, it will become absorbed/entrained in the liquid.  Petroleum is a similarly entrained compound of materials at different boiling points or ability to blend into other semi liquid components.

THANKS DAVE   

As good a explanation as I have seen about how many things can come from crude. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Are Welcome

What is wildest, is Grandfather noted after consuming 5% of the crude to distill the remainder of Sweet Crude there were OVER forty five gallons of materials in storage tanks from 42 gallons oil field barrel crude.  He ran a part of the refining process BY HAND before the system became somewhat electrically controlled.  Men operating hand valves watching pressures and temperatures split out the distillates in the early days.  He had issues getting used to MIMIC Boards with electrically operated valves in the 1950s, hard to teach a eighth grade education to accept and trust remote readings.

He retired in 1962, at 54 where barely drew any value in that retirement.  The refinery had adopted a Semi Automatic control component he could not comprehend.

Edited by DMiller - 30 Oct 2021 at 2:42pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 4:48pm
I can understand your grandfathers comprehension and trust issues. I run into that with this device I am typing on.

All crude here is on the thick side. I have heard Kern River sour crude as a description of what is pumped in the Bakersfield area. The San Ardo field just to the north uses steam injection to make it pump better.  From what I hear fracking is not used in California with all the heavy crude. There is a now abandoned pipeline from San Ardo to Esttero Bay from 60 to 80 miles had two heating stations to help it keep flowing and pumps to give it more push.  They where fully automated about 1970.

There is always bits of tar on the local beaches from faults on the sea floor. By 2000 the oil companies gave up loading tankers here, because all the natural oil was blamed on them. They now load rail cars in the field and refine in the LA area. Or may even export as crude to Asia.  I know middle eastern crude is better/cheaper to import than clean up local crude to make gasoline out of with all the regulations in The Land of Fruits and Nuts.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 4:56pm
Central IL is full of Bunker Crude, was recovered until the mid fifties when Offshore and Arab crude was found better, BILLIONS of barrels of the stuff still there.

Californians seem to forget LaBrea is STILL there and been discharging goo for forever.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YOU asked the stupid question... Price of CRUDE is up... price of gas is up... price or propane and Nat gas is up... WHY would you expect a cut rate deal on oil ???  Didnt happen "last week"... this is an on going problem for the past 6 months.
I asked NO STUPID  QUESSTION  60,000 poster !!!! 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:39pm
Sadly , I never read past the BLABBERING from a guy from Illinois, BUT, IMO, it's the OIL TYCOONS that can FINNALLY see the "writing-on-the-wall" as far as the ELECTRIC MOTIVE  source of propulsion and are HAMMERING their wares for as much $$$$ as they can Thumbs UpApproveOuch !!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:46pm
The crude from Arabia is a sour crude. The crude from Iran, is much sought after lighter crude, quicker turnaround to make automotive fuels.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
Freedguy, electricity is produced from natural gas, and petroleum. And sometimes coal.
The ‘oil tycoons’ as you call them, also the ones that drill the natural gas wells.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Freedguy, electricity is produced from natural gas, and petroleum. And sometimes coal.
The ‘oil tycoons’ as you call them, also the ones that drill the natural gas wells.
Lars, I appreciate your replys, but WHY is $$ of engine oil going up as far as crankcase/tranny/differential fluid ? I never mentioned "electrical" generation Confused. Hopefully in the near future , hydrogen power plants can take the place of "petroleum" based energy Embarrassed !!
Why did you emit nuclear from your sources of electricity ?? How about hydro generation (water dams) ClapClap

Edited by FREEDGUY - 30 Oct 2021 at 6:12pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:12pm
And own the primary Uranium
Mining sites.

Takes no less than 200 Barrels of refined petroleum to produce wind turbines, then takes additional 200-300 Gallons of Petroleum lubricants to keep them running for five years. Good luck ending Oil dependence.

As for the steels and copper in these monsters add more coal to produce that steel and energy in vast quantities from ALL sources to extract and refine the copper. Each pedestal retaining that column for that wind turbine of at least 2mW electric is around 200 cubic yards of concrete, was mined refined cement that is Kiln formed using Coal or Petroleum as NG does not have adequate BTU value.
Stone, sand, clay additives all used petroleum or coal to produce.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:19pm

Mining sites.

Takes no less than 200 Barrels of refined petroleum to produce wind turbines, then takes additional 200-300 Gallons of Petroleum lubricants to keep them running for five years. Good luck ending Oil dependence.

As for the steels and copper in these monsters add more coal to produce that steel and energy in vast quantities from ALL sources to extract and refine the copper. Each pedestal retaining that column for that wind turbine of at least 2mW electric is around 200 cubic yards of concrete, was mined refined cement that is Kiln formed using Coal or Petroleum as NG does not have adequate BTU value.
Stone, sand, clay additives all used petroleum or coal to produce.

Have you SEEN the parking lots of ANY major shopping center in YOUR neighborhood ?? 
There's COUNTLESS quarts of leaking "petroleum" products that would make your 200-300 gallons/5 years look EMBARRASSING ClapClap 
I'm sorry, your 2-3/5 IS embarrassing Sleepy

Edited by FREEDGUY - 30 Oct 2021 at 6:21pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:46pm
Freedguy, the reason I omitted nuclear, and hydro, is those are not growing segments of electricity production, they actually are shrinking. When was the last time a reactor was built? The greenie weenies want all the dams in this country removed.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:16pm
Again, I respect your sincere replies Lars. I'm not a "huge" fan of nuclear  myself, and I was unaware of the dam closures across the nation Confused . IMO, coal is almost as detrimental to the environment as nuclear power though Embarrassed
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Mining sites.

Have you SEEN the parking lots of ANY major shopping center in YOUR neighborhood ?? 
There's COUNTLESS quarts of leaking "petroleum" products that would make your 200-300 gallons/5 years look EMBARRASSING ClapClap 
I'm sorry, your 2-3/5 IS embarrassing Sleepy

That parking lot is more than likely asphalt paved. That asphalt, will pollute the ground under it for more than those leaking old beaters that are parked on it. Over time blacktop will degrade, regardless of the amount of traffic. After a few years, the amount of rain, that seeps down thru the pavement increases every year, and every rain drop that seeps down thru pulls with it a little bit of petroleum down into the soil.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:09pm
I see your point about asphalt, my point was true crankcase oil pooling on top of the parking lot Embarrassed .
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm
RE:  IMO, coal is almost as detrimental to the environment as nuclear power though

Right now nuclear looks like the best rout for environmental and economic stability.
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:51pm
That oil spots may be from a brew oval truck that somebody did not get the drane plug tight enough after changing oil.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I see your point about asphalt, my point was true crankcase oil pooling on top of the parking lot Embarrassed .

What is your point? If you don’t want to see oil spots on a parking space, just make sure your vehicle doesn’t ever have a drip, and don’t be looking at empty parking spaces. That’s all you can do. Don’t get all bent out of shape on things you have absolutely no control over.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 30 Oct 2021 at 9:02pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:46pm
 Don’t get all bent out of shape on things you have absolutely no control over.

Lars.. old 4000 post FreeGas LOVES being BENT OVER !!  Wink
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:08pm
Sure glad NO PETROLEUM will ever be needed for Electric Propelled vehicles - they are going to roll on bearings that need no lubrication through tires than need no base material , and the best part is they will travel on roads then use not petroleum to supply the materials , road bed grading , or surface material produced with no carbon based materials .  Asphalt will be eliminated, mining will be eliminated, and all electric vehicles will be able to go on long trips in any weather while the driver has no worry about battery going dead, heat inside the vehicle will be comfortable along with no traffic jams that will be caused by many vehicles being stalled after setting in the cold for a hour stalled in heavy traffic .
  There is no POLITICS INVOLVED - Jut the facts . 
But solar and wind will be the savior as every home , office, and vehicle uses them and the power grid has the capacity to handle it all . 
  Look at Texas for a good example of what happened when weather creates a new unexpected problem for heat and power.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic