This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Rate Charges(D14 Brakes)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Rate Charges(D14 Brakes)?
    Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 11:07am
I have a friend of a friend that wants me to replace the brakes on his D14. I was wondering if anybody has a flat rate shop manual so I have an idea what to charge. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 5:33pm
 My book thinks 5 hours, So on an older trtactor , I'd allow for 8, and warn your Bud it might be 10 hours.  Edit to add thats for both sides, and no allowance for drum r+r.

Edited by Gary in da UP - 13 Nov 2010 at 5:35pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm
Maybe add an hour or two to replace the axle seals...while it's apart ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 11:25pm
Yeah I will recommend to him to get oil seals for me to put in. He bought a manual for me to go by. I have done read over it before hand. 8 hrs total or 8 hrs for each side? Thanks.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 6:31am
I'd say  a lazy day (8-9 hours total) for the whole job providing you've got all the tools,parts,cranes,blocks,etc.

If you want , you can come up here and 'practice' on my '57 D-14.Then do the '59 to better your time !!.LOL....

When you leave you'll be an expert at it.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 6:50am
You need to check the diameter of the drums. When they get too big on the inside then the radius doesn't match the raduis of the brake shoes and then you only have a little spot contacting when you engage the brakes. A&I has the new drums and they aren't that expensive. If need be I can get you a price and drop ship to you if needed.JP 
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:57am
If he's a friend, the rate will vary depending on if he has cold beer in the fridge when you're done or not.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 8:11am
If you are servicing the drums add 2hr, 15 min, per side.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:26am
Thanks guys. He said he will treat me right on the price of the labor. I wasn't going to charge anything but he said he wasn't having that. I have the tools to do everything. This tractor has not had the brakes serviced in awhile. He said it hasn't had brakes for years.

So I'm sure it probably needs to have oil seals replaced and I will have to check the drums while it is apart. So for now I guess I have to kinda give an estimate on the price. I guess I might as well figure in the extra costs b/c I do know that he wants his tractor done right. We will have to discuss it together.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

If he's a friend, the rate will vary depending on if he has cold beer in the fridge when you're done or not.

Lol that is true but I don't drink. He is going to park the tractor in his shop with concrete floor, heat, and radio though, lol.
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by 79fordblake 79fordblake wrote:

Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

Lol that is true but I don't drink. He is going to park the tractor in his shop with concrete floor, heat, and radio though, lol.
Using his shop... that is great. He can clean up the mess. LOL
A buddy of mine helped me do mine. He said that there was enough room to actually double up on the axle seals. As cheap as they were, I wish we'd done that. It wasn't very long before the seals started bleeding through just enough to get on the new brake linings. It still stops, but you really have to put some pressure on the pedals.
Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic