This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

drivers license requirements for 10k+ trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
Yes sir,it catches my attention pretty quick to see one of those guys out in the far left lane,bopping to the tunes with his cap on backwards, in a 1997 half ton,pulling a worn out bumper pull car trailer with passenger car tires on with a bobcat on the trailer strapped down with 2 orange 4 wheeler straps,, I get out of the way!
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:04pm
Guy hauling grain for Farmers with his Semi got stopped by DOT.DOT asked whose grain,Driver replied mine. DOT said your free to go as you have farm plates. When driver gets to Elavator DOT is there waiting and gets copy of weight ticket in Farmers name who owned grain and gives driver ticket for no Commercial Plates and a few other things he found.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

As other have said "YOU NEED TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION TO YOUR STATES DOT/MVA", Only they can give you the absolute answer to your question. They will tell you what you need to do. 
  That being said here in Maryland I can drive an 80,000 tractor trailer combination (or anything smaller) with a NON-CDL class A license that does not require a medical card, as long as I am not hauling for hire. I may haul my own farm commodities or equipment with a NON-CDL. Now the vehicle itself must have the federal DOT inspection stickers. I have this in an E-mail from Maryland's MVA. Any vehicle, be it a truck, trailer or combination that has a GVW of over 10,000 pounds is a COMMERICAL vehicle and must adhere to the federal DOT rules.  However those vehicle if used for a NON-commercial purpose does not need a commercial license, although it must be of the class needed for a given vehicle. 
   If you do any hauling for anyone else, or haul things related to making income, you instantly become commercial.

Paul, it really doesn't matter what the states DOT says, the problem, at least in western Pa is every bohonk twp., borough, town, or municipality has a DOT guy now, and he has become a source of revenue.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Unless have updated VERY recently are only TWO states offering a NON CDL Class A license, and that is VERY Restrictive on what or how you are operating.  To me not worth the paper written on.  GA and MD.

IL has been reviewing to add a RV endorsement with a Special Test to eliminate some of the heart ache associated to RV users that should NOT be.
Pa offers a non commercial class A and B.   From what I understand it would allow you to drive vehicles of those weight classes without some of the CDL restrictions( lower blood alcohol limit for one). I gave asked state police officers and got no clear answers. In every encounter I’ve had with a dot officer, even when I wasn’t driving, they had the “I don’t have to answer questions” attitude. It seems mostly cut and dry if your combo is over 26k but that still leaves a lot of 13k trucks pulling 11k trailers in question. I do need to try and get clarification about the combo registration exemption for recreational trailers in pa.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:53pm
Michigan Farm Bureau puts a Handbook explaining what qualifies Ag and Commercial. Check with your State Farm Bureau they may have a handbook. Michigan Farm Bureau worked with the State DOT and Federal to compile the Handbook. I will post a link to a PDF if you are interested?
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:58pm
michfb.com/mi/guidebook/
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:08pm
Just get a frame and a canvas that looks like a camper trailer and put them on before hitting the road.  Ain't no cop will stop you!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
In PA if you tow a trailer over 10,000 you need a class A. You can gross 26,000 on a straight truck or stay under that with a trailer but the trailer can not exceed 10,000 and your combo can not gross more than 26,000 with a class C. So bottom line is if you have a class C and tow a trailer more than 10,000 lbs you need a class A. Best thing to do is just get your class A and med card and your set.
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
OK so we are totally confused by the class of license , if you need a CDL , in you need a medical card - Oh and don't forget you need inspection stickers yearly on both the tow vehicle and the trailer . 
 NOW COMES the other part - the Fed DOT Number placement on you tow vehicle .
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ZachD89 ZachD89 wrote:

In PA if you tow a trailer over 10,000 you need a class A. You can gross 26,000 on a straight truck or stay under that with a trailer but the trailer can not exceed 10,000 and your combo can not gross more than 26,000 with a class C. So bottom line is if you have a class C and tow a trailer more than 10,000 lbs you need a class A. Best thing to do is just get your class A and med card and your set.
do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:49pm
You only need a DOT number if you are hauling FOR HIRE. If you are hauling your own stuff and are NOT making a Profit then no need for DOT number.
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.

Look at the back of your class C driver license
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

OK so we are totally confused by the class of license , if you need a CDL , in you need a medical card - Oh and don't forget you need inspection stickers yearly on both the tow vehicle and the trailer . 
 NOW COMES the other part - the Fed DOT Number placement on you tow vehicle .
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Vehicles over 10,000. That is every 350/3500 pickup on the road and a fair number of 2500’s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:56pm

I hold a CDL B. Class c is single /combo less than 26k. Trailer weight not specified. https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:01pm
Years ago I got a class D chauffeurs license. It covers all the stuff you guys are talking about. If I'd go get the bus added to it, I could put the seats back in the bus and haul all you party goers to Hutch next summer.
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm
In PA with a class B you can gross 26,000 or greater on a straight truck but again you can only tow a trailer 10,000 or less behind your truck. If you tow anything over 10,000 you need a class A.
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Years ago I got a class D chauffeurs license. It covers all the stuff you guys are talking about. If I'd go get the bus added to it, I could put the seats back in the bus and haul all you party goers to Hutch next summer.

Let me know when the bus leaves in July. I will be ready lol
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm

I hold a CDL B. Class c is single /combo less than 26k. Trailer weight not specified. https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

If you open the link you just posted and scroll down it explains the class B with towing. Class B 26,000lbs and greater - towing 10,000lbs or less
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:29pm

If you open the link you just posted and scroll down it explains the class B with towing. Class B 26,000lbs and greater - towing 10,000lbs or less
You are correct but that’s not the question.   Class a or b is OVER 26k total. Class c is under 26k total

If the combo is under 26k but the trailer is over 10k what license is the minimum required license? Obviously a class a covers it but a B doesn’t really apply if the combo is under 26.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:45pm
I agree with what ZachD89, if your trailer is registered for 10,000 you can get by with a class B cdl any registered above that need a class A cdl or if you haul anything for profit , what I don't understand why not just get a class A license, one more point if you stay inside the state the you live in you don't need a medical card I've been that way for about 15 years now.

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:51pm

You are correct but that’s not the question.   Class a or b is OVER 26k total. Class c is under 26k total

If the combo is under 26k but the trailer is over 10k what license is the minimum required license? Obviously a class a covers it but a B doesn’t really apply if the combo is under 26.
You're answering your own question the trailer is registered for over 10,000 you need a class A .

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

You're answering your own question the trailer is registered for over 10,000 you need a class A .
Again please show me where that is documented legally. This is the problem I run into every time this topic is discussed, everyone “knows” what is required but can’t produce a source. I honestly believe that everyone with an answer has been told that by someone of some authority, the problem is that too many of the answers contradict each other. It seems simple enough that if a class A license is required for a 10,001lb trailer, that should be in writing somewhere. I don’t mean to be confrontational on the subject, it is just very frustrating to not be able to get the information on a regulation you are required to follow
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:02pm

Again please show me where that is documented legally. This is the problem I run into every time this topic is discussed, everyone “knows” what is required but can’t produce a source. I honestly believe that everyone with an answer has been told that by someone of some authority, the problem is that too many of the answers contradict each other. It seems simple enough that if a class A license is required for a 10,001lb trailer, that should be in writing somewhere. I don’t mean to be confrontational on the subject, it is just very frustrating to not be able to get the information on a regulation you are required to follow
   Look on the back of your license, veh w/26001GVWR or more TOWED unit LESS than 10001 GVWR. When you get pull over that is what the DOT office is going to go by what is on the back of the license.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:16pm

Look on the back of your license, veh w/26001GVWR or more TOWED unit LESS than 10001 GVWR. When you get pull over that is what the DOT office is going to go by what is on the back of the license.
once again that is not what I am questioning. Class A or B license are only applicable above 26k

What i am asking is What is the minimum license required, in writing, for a combination UNDER 26,000lbs with a trailer OVER 10,000lbs. This is a very common situation with a 2500 or 3500 truck and a large trailer. If a Class A is required to tow a 10k trailer then where is this stated?
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 4:56am
Its in WRITING on the link YOU posted. READ
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:35am
Print or buy a FMCSA DOT license regs
Put “NOT For Hire Private Coach” on haul truck in DOT required height and location
As noted in the Regs a GVWR on the haul truck over 26,000 and/OR a towed trailer in excess of 10,001 requires a Class A being used commercially or for a Non Farm Tagged Truck NOT hauling Farm Commodities crossing state boundaries.
You haul a set of tractors to a show out of state and do not license according to the laws
Your own fault
If arguing just to avoid the expense or set up a argument to use with DOT brownshirts
Good Luck as they carry the rules book and do not argue well
I have and will keep a Class A CDL
I do haul out of state I do haul my Own stuff primarily, I do not risk my license or insurance by being argumentative or cheap.
I read the rules as written and as explained by several different DOT professionals that explained just that way
Get the proper license for what is intended do as the law requires and do not have to play games of chance
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:22am
Checked with my local Virginia State DOT office and they told me if not commercial, then no CDL. No matter the rig size.
Haul for money (Even prize money) then you need CDL

I see it coming sometime soon that you will need a CDL or license of some sort to pull big RV's and like vehicles.

States That Require A Commercial Driver’s License

• Arkansas: CDL required for vehicle over 26,000 lb
  • Connecticut: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Hawaii: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Kansas: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • New Mexico: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Washington, D.C.: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wisconsin: CDL required over 45 feet

States That Require A Non-Commercial Special Driver’s License

• California: Class B license required over 26,000 lb or over 40 feet; Class A license required for towing over 10,000 lbs
  • Maryland: Class B license required over 26,000 lb
  • Michigan: Recreational Double “R” Endorsement required to tow a fifth wheel plus a trailer (it’s unlikely that you’ll ever need this)
  • North Carolina: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Nevada: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb; “J” Endorsement required to tow a vehicle over 10,000 lb (if the combined weight is less than 26,000 lb)
  • New York: Recreational Vehicle or “R” endorsement required for vehicles over 26,000 lb
  • Pennsylvania: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; equired for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • South Carolina: Class E license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class F license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Texas: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wyoming: Class B license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing under 10,000 lb; Class A license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing over 10,000 lb

Edited by Charlie175 - 17 Jan 2021 at 7:24am
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:32am
According to AAA, lists are ONLY three States in total with Non-Commercial Class A or B license.  Good luck with that VA reference once Leave VA.  FMCSA takes Precedence.  

Get what you pay for.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:54am

Its in WRITING on the link YOU posted. READ
   I have read it. Multiple times.

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver's license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver's license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less, a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab or an autocycle.

That is cut and paste from the pa-dmv

Class A. Combo OVER 26,000 w/ trailer OVER 10,000
Class B.   Single or combo OVER 26,000 w/ trailer UNDER 10,000
Class C.   Lists no weights.
Nowhere is a combination UNDER 26,000 w/ trailer OVER 10,000 mentioned

Obviously a class A would cover this situation but why would anyone go through the hassle and expense of doing that if it’s not required? I can’t speak for other states but in Pa it took 6 months just to get a test scheduled when I got my CDL B. A very high number of truck/trailer combinations fit the situation I am asking about. I understand that wether or not it is “commercial use” or not can be somewhat subjective but the weight class should not be. When I’ve asked people who should know I’ve received the following answers...
Trailer over 10k needs a CDL ...
If it’s over 17k you need a medical card but that’s all...
Your good as long as it’s not commercial...
That combo can’t happen...
Blank stares....

None could provide a source for their answer including state police and dmv.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:54am

do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k (10,001) trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic