Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177566
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: drivers license requirements for 10k+ trailer
Posted By: Mrgoodwrench
Subject: drivers license requirements for 10k+ trailer
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
I've been trying to get a real answer to this question for a couple years now. I've asked police officers and dmv employees with no results, so I figured id ask here....

What license is required to pull a combination that is LESS THAN 26,000LBS W/ a trailer that is MORE THAN 10,000LBS?

obviously a class A, CDL or noncommercial license would cover this, but ,they both are intended for 26k and up. It is very common to have this combination, basically every one ton pickup pulling a large trailer. I have heard several "answers" but nothing backed up in writing. I don't know if laws vary state to state but I'm live in Pa.. Here the back of a regular class C license reads single or combo less than 26k w/ trailer less than 10k. I'm looking for any info I can get but ideally a answer that i can back up with documentation.

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Replies:
Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Hauling your own stuff or for hire?

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:48pm
my own. i have been flying under the radar when i am hauling hay home from the fields and other farm tasks with our 12k gooseneck but we are considering a larger horse trailer w/ living quarters and id like to be legal to go farther from home. no plans on hauling for hire

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:15pm
At 10,001 the trailer becomes a commercial vehicle - as such you need a DOT inspection sticker on both trailer and tow vehicle 
 As trailer is then commercial the truck MAY become also - Now on license it seems you have crept into the CDL range and DOT Health Card is needed also .
10,000 pounds
Class B commercial driver's license is required to operate a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or tow a vehicle not heavier than 10,000 pounds.

Do I need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000 lbs? With regard to the familiar combination, a tow vehicle (whether truck, automobile, or tractor) towing a trailer, the driver needs a CDL if the tow-vehicle manufacturer's assigned GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. ... and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. In either case, the driver will need a Class A CDL.
Essentially, federal and state law both require a CDL if the vehicle or combination of vehicles: Has a GCWR over 26,000 pounds including a towed unit with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds; or. Has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds; or. Is designed to transport more than 15 people or hazardous materials.
Do I need a CDL to pull a 14000 lb trailer?
14000# GVWR trailer would need to be pulled by a truck exceeding 12000# GVWR to have a GCWR over 26000# requiring a CDL. ... Be aware that 1 ton dually 3500 Series trucks will put you over 26000# requiring a CDL as the trucks are normally over 12000# GVWR.

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

At 10,001 the trailer becomes a commercial vehicle - as such you need a DOT inspection sticker on both trailer and tow vehicle 
 As trailer is then commercial the truck MAY become also - Now on license it seems you have crept into the CDL range and DOT Health Card is needed also .
10,000 pounds
Class B commercial driver's license is required to operate a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or tow a vehicle not heavier than 10,000 pounds.

Do I need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000 lbs? With regard to the familiar combination, a tow vehicle (whether truck, automobile, or tractor) towing a trailer, the driver needs a CDL if the tow-vehicle manufacturer's assigned GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. ... and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. In either case, the driver will need a Class A CDL.
Essentially, federal and state law both require a CDL if the vehicle or combination of vehicles: Has a GCWR over 26,000 pounds including a towed unit with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds; or. Has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds; or. Is designed to transport more than 15 people or hazardous materials.
Do I need a CDL to pull a 14000 lb trailer?
14000# GVWR trailer would need to be pulled by a truck exceeding 12000# GVWR to have a GCWR over 26000# requiring a CDL. ... Be aware that 1 ton dually 3500 Series trucks will put you over 26000# requiring a CDL as the trucks are normally over 12000# GVWR.
interesting. what is your source for that info? if that is accurate then the DOT is missing literally millions annually as most three horse trailers, fifth wheel campers and tandem gooseneck trailers are 11k and up. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
Coke, after reading you post again and google searching the 10k question, i still dont see any clear answer. if the combo is under 26k the trailer being over 10k doesnt seem to matter.  https://www.felling.com/towing-cdl-requirements/ " rel="nofollow - https://www.felling.com/towing-cdl-requirements/  ; graphic on that link shows it must be both over 26k and a trailer over 10k. by math the 14k trailer would need to be over 26k combo. the next wrinkle is the "used in commerce" requirement. 

-------------

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:49pm
Go looking for a state cop.  THEY know the laws cause they enforce em.  I had a similar question and couldn't get ANY answers either.  You'd think the DMV would help, but they don't care, they just want to license you and take your money.  Pulled into a weigh station on the interstate and asked the 3 state police that were there.  After 4 seconds, they all started telling me what I had to do.  They were nice and asked if I had gone other places to find an answer and I told them, they were about the end of the list and NOBODY would help, but they sure did.  They still help dummies, besides serving and protecting.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:55am
re: i am hauling hay home from the fields
To add even MORE confusion, at least up here....

I can haul ANY 'farm' trailer behind anything on any road (cept 400 series highways) without ANY licenses. The 'trick' is to put a SMV sign on the trailer and go less than 40KM ( 24 MPH). That is BURIED in the Ontario HTA . OK it does say 'farm use' and I'm pretty sure hauling hay IS 'farm' use !! Don't even need trailer plate and if hauling with D-14 NO drivers license either.

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:27am
That weigh combination is very common and I've heard in Iowa they go over them with a fine tooth comb- if it were me and hauling my own I'd just drive and don't look back- keep it all legal ie; lights, tires, etc and they probably won't mess with you as they usually look for commercial guys if you do get stopped tell them you've tried to get info and made your head spin it's a racket as it seems each one has different views I ran that way for years never a problem

Posted By: allisbred
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:21am
We do exactly the same— 3500 dodge dually with a flat bed, pa tagged truck @ 12k and combo under 26k, 3 horse 14k trailer tagged in Maine without a weight on the registration. I think the key is the living quarter as this makes it “recreational”. We have talked to pen-dot, our friends that are both state and local police. No one has a clear answer but, she was pulled over on 81 a while back and the only issue was the mirrors on the truck were not extended as designed(dumb on her part, I know!). I also move hay with a 24’ trailer and have had the same question when I am selling the hay off the farm. I moved finished cattle a while back and the scale showed almost 31k with truck and steel trailer. I feel like this is asking for trouble in many ways, but that was livestock.

Posted By: TomC
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09am
If your not for hire I don't believe you need a CDL, what you do need is the proper weight registration on truck & trailer. I have an F-350 dually crew cab 4x4, I have 18,000 lb BL tags on it, hooked to our 5th wheel I am right at that weight, I am going to a 24K plate for two reasons, one ?run into the wrong guy with the DOT & they will make you drop the trailer. Second reason,god forbid I get in an accident and am over the weight I have the truck registered for and the lawyers will have a field day. I do know here in Missouri the DOT has a field day with landscapers,firewood guys,contractors who are definitely for hire,over 10,000 lbs running around with no DOT numbers and over the licensed weight of the truck. Hopefully this cleared this up for you. I would check with your state because some are different than others, for example, I believe Iowa & Wisconsin now require a CDL if any trailer you pull is over 3 foot long. Long & short is don't confuse registered truck weight & CDL requirements.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:22am
Ok, please 'humour' me....
say you're a farmer,use trailer for farm business(cattle/hay/??), how is THAT not 'commercial' ?  Afterall you're using it to make money for your business ?

Kinda a grey/gray area ??

Just curious

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
Absolutely a gray area. That is the problem I have. I don’t worry when I’m moving hay because it is 3 miles tops and we post a smv triangle and stay under 30 so no big deal. If you look at the link I posted earlier the “commercial” question is terrible. A horse show with a cash prize is commercial! My kids win $20 at most.

-------------

Posted By: allisbred
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
I would never tell an officer if you just came back from a show and made a big win(still a loss, but another subject), bigger issue with hauling someone else’s horse in your trailer to and from the shows which happens in many cases. If pulled over— those are “your” horses not someone else’s. Next big concern would be is when traveling to congress or other large shows as that can provide issues going through other states.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
Like I said,check with your state they are going to be different. Here in Missouri as long as its farm use as in your farm your good. But again if you have a 1500 Chevy with 6,000 lb tags on it & your trying to move a gooseneck load of large round nails your going to be illegal. A one ton dually with 24k tags on it and your good. Now, go into the hay hauling business for hire and it's a whole different animal.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:39am
Maybe this will clear it up. I can take my truck with my gooseneck, put both my tractors & equipment on it and haul it 80 miles to my place in Reynolds Missouri to work as long as I'm not over the 18k I have the truck licensed for I good. Now,suppose the local tractor dealer calls me and wants me to go deliver a new tractor for him I am illegal because I'm for hire then.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:11am
Look as the GVWR can change the class when a trailer is attached 
Not the GVW of the license plate but rating of the truck itself - then adding the trailer . 
 DOT inspection sticker is another one - if the trailer is required to have a inspection - then the tow vehicle is also. 
 Then there is the Health Card - your special DOT card that says your not going to die while driving - least not from a few things .
 Oh if you take your DOT - Class A or B test in a automatic transmission truck - you can't drive a stick shift with the license .

One that makes no sense at all - is you can drive a vehicle with RV plates without all those restrictions - be it a motor home or a tractor trailer with air brakes 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
I'm glad you brought up the rv part.  Pennsylvania added a "recreational trailer" and "recreational cargo trailer" plate designation. a living quarter horse trailer would actually qualify as either. that should help remove the "used for commerce" portion of the requirements. that trailer designation also carries with it a possible exemption from combo registration. I'm a little fuzzy on the language they used so I don't really understand the limits of that exemption . maybe someone can "decode" it for me
https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV%20Driver%20and%20Vehicle%20Bulletins/Bulletin%2019-17%20Special%20Edition%20Act%20138.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV%20Driver%20and%20Vehicle%20Bulletins/Bulletin%2019-17%20Special%20Edition%20Act%20138.pdf

-------------

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:48pm
Order the DOT handbook, to be Exempted under Farm status the entire rig has to be Farm Registered and Licensed(Restricts Distance can haul), MO does not give a darn of Licensed Weight, they as other DOT look at Registered ID Sheet GVWR tags and ratings.  A MO Beyond Local(BL) license tag for a Individual releases from DOT Inspections HOWEVER once pass 26001GVW towing anything Class A CDL IS Required and all required inspections are forthcoming.

Newest Dodge Diesel 3500 8' bed, crew cab dually's come in with a Frightening GVWR, from 22xxx to 37xxx dependent of options, have to read the Cab installed ID Tag to see what are buying.

There is NO NON-Commercial Class A CDL available I am aware of.  Step across the mark to CDL and fall into DOT territory physical and all.

Title as RV in MO and get Car Plates for the Truck are NOT ALLOWED to pull any trailer EXCEPT the RV you have, NO LOAD PERMISSIONS AT ALL except in truck bed, same as a Auto Trunk.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
REGARDLESS the State Statutes, ALL CDL license holders fall under FMCSA Guidelines and rules

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/2005%20CDL%20Driver%20Manual%20-July%202014%20-%20FINAL.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/2005 CDL Driver Manual -July 2014 - FINAL.pdf

Should you be ticketed in a Car, On a Motorcycle REGARDLESS the machine, if have a CDL it is applied as conditional to your CDL, get a DUI, DWI or severe enough infraction for points and LOSE your rights to a CDL and being able to tow.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 1:16pm
Seem motor homes going right by weigh station on I 94 coming out of WI - couple pulling a trailer - with another boat on trailer behind - triple unit . 
 Same as friend drove by weigh station with his 1 ton Ford - had a set or torches strapped upright to headache rack - got pulled over and made to return to station . 
 Ticket for regulators attached to torches , ticket for no Hazardous placards on truck , ticket for no CDL as carrying Hazardous materials endorsement  , ticket for no health card , oh and double on the CDL as none and no endorsement.
  How do the rules : 
 A few days before he got stopped I went through that same weigh station with my 66 White Dump truck and was told to pull around for level 1 inspection - so 45 minutes later everything was OK and went inside to finish paperwork - Another inspector started asking how many tickets the inspector wrote on the truck ( NONE )  so he says go over it again , use State and Federal laws and find something - cant let a old truck like that go through without finding something to write a ticket for .
  When inspector handed me back the paperwork he also gave me a CVSA sticker - said put it on lower right side of windshield - it might keep A Holes like the other guy from going nuts if stopped for a roadside inspection .
 About a week later got stopped coming out of gravel pit - inspector said they were going to do a level 1 inspection - took out paperwork from week before and said I also had the CVSA sticker - took a quick look at papers - walked around truck and said take off were done .

-------------

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm
Coke,you found a good guy! There are a few around that haven't been to Pri#k school!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 2:00pm
Friend of mine retired sold his house bought a RV motor home just under the CDL requirement and went to Texas for the winter. What scares me is this guy is a Diabetic that passes out from time to time ! When they first got the RV they were at a camper park and he passes out,wife calls ambulance they take him to Hospital she can't drive Motor Home! Whenever I meet one on the road I shudder thinking it could be him I'm meeting and he is going to pass out!

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 2:07pm
I have here somewhere the motor vehicle code, for state and Federal, plus, I emailed my state rep and asked her. The bottom line is, 10k trailer, u do not need a combination license, nor a medical card. there is no requirement for your drivers licenses, under 10k trailer. HOWEVER...if you make any money at all with that truck and trailer, you are considered commercial, and the rules change tremendously. Medical card, and combination licenses are then required. Here's the rub, if you have antique tractors, and haul them for show, and they are judged for prizes, according to a lot of cops and DOT, you are now making money, and are now commercial. I know two guys that happened to. I know they fought it, but never heard the outcome. Another local fellow was pulled over at the weight station on 80. He had a tractor on the trailer that he had sold and was delivering. Mind you, he was not a business, was not in the practice of buying and selling, etc. This was one that was no longer used, so he sold it. Cops said he made money on it and the fines were over $1500.
Unfortunately, the DOT/cops are not following the spirit of the law, and are applying their own interpretation! You may, or may not beat it in court.
If pulled over, the less you say, the better!

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: Fred in Pa
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:13pm
Went through all this a few years ago ,got correct tags and driver License .Then ask the State trooper that helped me with this  witch is called a ( Interpreter of the law ) I am now legal ,he said well I am a Interpreter of the Law . NOT THE Enforcer witch is officer that pull's  u over and determines your faith by the situation .

-------------
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:21pm
I will guess every state will have something different in how they want to treat the same situation. 

A DOT officer came to meeting of farmers and explained what was enforced here in Cal about 10 years ago, so who know what has changed since. A big one to many was that recreationally was different than "farm exemption". His example was using a gooseneck to haul one horse you where exempt from CDL if going to gather your cattle, going to a horse show your not.

Since most legislators are lawyers as well, write everything so there are at least 2 ways to look at the situation.  So look up your state laws (not that hard to do online ) read it for yourself. Then take questions to a DOT officer. Then decide how much of your life and accumulated wealth you want to put at risk. 

With restrictions on everything how the recreational vehicle business is the way it is makes no sense. But would not sell many motor homes if they had to pass a test before buying one and driving off with it.    

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:22pm
Told this before as well, buddy with RV license on his PU Truck, 17000gvwr(Towing) Dodge grabs a buddies trailer to haul lumber, cop sees has Auto plate on truck pulls him over, asks for registration, gets ticket for improper use of RV license, failure to license truck for cargo weight, etc etc etc, cost him over $500 in fines and $1200 for attorney that could not fight it.
Next up guy buys New Dodge 3500 last year, has over 28,000 GVWR, No CDL towing Tandem Dual Wheel Gooseneck rated at 14,000, gets stopped with backhoe hauling for buddy, NOT getting paid but also NO CDL against weight capacity and tries to slough it off on 24,000 license, gets taken to portable scales, weighs in at 25,7xx, gets additional tickets and truck towed to SHP yard, IMPOUNDED.

Do as SUPPOSED TO DO, Not as Want to do, and Not skirting law and will not be beaten until cannot afford to drive.

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Geesh-  Ag commodities are not comercial- how could anyone think that ! Lol,, TomC ive seen a few of those firewood haulers and do it your selfers around that area and the sub burbs of St Louis - and most need to be off the road ! Very sad hauling methods     

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm
As other have said "YOU NEED TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION TO YOUR STATES DOT/MVA", Only they can give you the absolute answer to your question. They will tell you what you need to do. 
  That being said here in Maryland I can drive an 80,000 tractor trailer combination (or anything smaller) with a NON-CDL class A license that does not require a medical card, as long as I am not hauling for hire. I may haul my own farm commodities or equipment with a NON-CDL. Now the vehicle itself must have the federal DOT inspection stickers. I have this in an E-mail from Maryland's MVA. Any vehicle, be it a truck, trailer or combination that has a GVW of over 10,000 pounds is a COMMERICAL vehicle and must adhere to the federal DOT rules.  However those vehicle if used for a NON-commercial purpose does not need a commercial license, although it must be of the class needed for a given vehicle. 
   If you do any hauling for anyone else, or haul things related to making income, you instantly become commercial.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
Unless have updated VERY recently are only TWO states offering a NON CDL Class A license, and that is VERY Restrictive on what or how you are operating.  To me not worth the paper written on.  GA and MD.

IL has been reviewing to add a RV endorsement with a Special Test to eliminate some of the heart ache associated to RV users that should NOT be.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
Yes sir,it catches my attention pretty quick to see one of those guys out in the far left lane,bopping to the tunes with his cap on backwards, in a 1997 half ton,pulling a worn out bumper pull car trailer with passenger car tires on with a bobcat on the trailer strapped down with 2 orange 4 wheeler straps,, I get out of the way!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:04pm
Guy hauling grain for Farmers with his Semi got stopped by DOT.DOT asked whose grain,Driver replied mine. DOT said your free to go as you have farm plates. When driver gets to Elavator DOT is there waiting and gets copy of weight ticket in Farmers name who owned grain and gives driver ticket for no Commercial Plates and a few other things he found.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

As other have said "YOU NEED TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION TO YOUR STATES DOT/MVA", Only they can give you the absolute answer to your question. They will tell you what you need to do. 
  That being said here in Maryland I can drive an 80,000 tractor trailer combination (or anything smaller) with a NON-CDL class A license that does not require a medical card, as long as I am not hauling for hire. I may haul my own farm commodities or equipment with a NON-CDL. Now the vehicle itself must have the federal DOT inspection stickers. I have this in an E-mail from Maryland's MVA. Any vehicle, be it a truck, trailer or combination that has a GVW of over 10,000 pounds is a COMMERICAL vehicle and must adhere to the federal DOT rules.  However those vehicle if used for a NON-commercial purpose does not need a commercial license, although it must be of the class needed for a given vehicle. 
   If you do any hauling for anyone else, or haul things related to making income, you instantly become commercial.

Paul, it really doesn't matter what the states DOT says, the problem, at least in western Pa is every bohonk twp., borough, town, or municipality has a DOT guy now, and he has become a source of revenue.

-------------
Wait for the Lord;

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Unless have updated VERY recently are only TWO states offering a NON CDL Class A license, and that is VERY Restrictive on what or how you are operating.  To me not worth the paper written on.  GA and MD.

IL has been reviewing to add a RV endorsement with a Special Test to eliminate some of the heart ache associated to RV users that should NOT be.
Pa offers a non commercial class A and B.   From what I understand it would allow you to drive vehicles of those weight classes without some of the CDL restrictions( lower blood alcohol limit for one). I gave asked state police officers and got no clear answers. In every encounter I’ve had with a dot officer, even when I wasn’t driving, they had the “I don’t have to answer questions” attitude. It seems mostly cut and dry if your combo is over 26k but that still leaves a lot of 13k trucks pulling 11k trailers in question. I do need to try and get clarification about the combo registration exemption for recreational trailers in pa.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:53pm
Michigan Farm Bureau puts a Handbook explaining what qualifies Ag and Commercial. Check with your State Farm Bureau they may have a handbook. Michigan Farm Bureau worked with the State DOT and Federal to compile the Handbook. I will post a link to a PDF if you are interested?

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:58pm
michfb.com/mi/guidebook/

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:08pm
Just get a frame and a canvas that looks like a camper trailer and put them on before hitting the road.  Ain't no cop will stop you!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: ZachD89
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
In PA if you tow a trailer over 10,000 you need a class A. You can gross 26,000 on a straight truck or stay under that with a trailer but the trailer can not exceed 10,000 and your combo can not gross more than 26,000 with a class C. So bottom line is if you have a class C and tow a trailer more than 10,000 lbs you need a class A. Best thing to do is just get your class A and med card and your set.

-------------
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
OK so we are totally confused by the class of license , if you need a CDL , in you need a medical card - Oh and don't forget you need inspection stickers yearly on both the tow vehicle and the trailer . 
 NOW COMES the other part - the Fed DOT Number placement on you tow vehicle .
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ZachD89 ZachD89 wrote:

In PA if you tow a trailer over 10,000 you need a class A. You can gross 26,000 on a straight truck or stay under that with a trailer but the trailer can not exceed 10,000 and your combo can not gross more than 26,000 with a class C. So bottom line is if you have a class C and tow a trailer more than 10,000 lbs you need a class A. Best thing to do is just get your class A and med card and your set.
do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:49pm
You only need a DOT number if you are hauling FOR HIRE. If you are hauling your own stuff and are NOT making a Profit then no need for DOT number.

-------------
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.

Look at the back of your class C driver license

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

OK so we are totally confused by the class of license , if you need a CDL , in you need a medical card - Oh and don't forget you need inspection stickers yearly on both the tow vehicle and the trailer . 
 NOW COMES the other part - the Fed DOT Number placement on you tow vehicle .
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+needs+a+DOT+number&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Who+needs+a+DOT+number+&aqs=chrome..69i57.9107j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Vehicles over 10,000. That is every 350/3500 pickup on the road and a fair number of 2500’s.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:56pm

I hold a CDL B. Class c is single /combo less than 26k. Trailer weight not specified. https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

-------------

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:01pm
Years ago I got a class D chauffeurs license. It covers all the stuff you guys are talking about. If I'd go get the bus added to it, I could put the seats back in the bus and haul all you party goers to Hutch next summer.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm
In PA with a class B you can gross 26,000 or greater on a straight truck but again you can only tow a trailer 10,000 or less behind your truck. If you tow anything over 10,000 you need a class A.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Years ago I got a class D chauffeurs license. It covers all the stuff you guys are talking about. If I'd go get the bus added to it, I could put the seats back in the bus and haul all you party goers to Hutch next summer.

Let me know when the bus leaves in July. I will be ready lol

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm

I hold a CDL B. Class c is single /combo less than 26k. Trailer weight not specified. https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

If you open the link you just posted and scroll down it explains the class B with towing. Class B 26,000lbs and greater - towing 10,000lbs or less

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:29pm

If you open the link you just posted and scroll down it explains the class B with towing. Class B 26,000lbs and greater - towing 10,000lbs or less
You are correct but that’s not the question.   Class a or b is OVER 26k total. Class c is under 26k total

If the combo is under 26k but the trailer is over 10k what license is the minimum required license? Obviously a class a covers it but a B doesn’t really apply if the combo is under 26.

-------------

Posted By: Kenny L.
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:45pm
I agree with what ZachD89, if your trailer is registered for 10,000 you can get by with a class B cdl any registered above that need a class A cdl or if you haul anything for profit , what I don't understand why not just get a class A license, one more point if you stay inside the state the you live in you don't need a medical card I've been that way for about 15 years now.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:51pm

You are correct but that’s not the question.   Class a or b is OVER 26k total. Class c is under 26k total

If the combo is under 26k but the trailer is over 10k what license is the minimum required license? Obviously a class a covers it but a B doesn’t really apply if the combo is under 26.
You're answering your own question the trailer is registered for over 10,000 you need a class A .

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

You're answering your own question the trailer is registered for over 10,000 you need a class A .
Again please show me where that is documented legally. This is the problem I run into every time this topic is discussed, everyone “knows” what is required but can’t produce a source. I honestly believe that everyone with an answer has been told that by someone of some authority, the problem is that too many of the answers contradict each other. It seems simple enough that if a class A license is required for a 10,001lb trailer, that should be in writing somewhere. I don’t mean to be confrontational on the subject, it is just very frustrating to not be able to get the information on a regulation you are required to follow

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:02pm

Again please show me where that is documented legally. This is the problem I run into every time this topic is discussed, everyone “knows” what is required but can’t produce a source. I honestly believe that everyone with an answer has been told that by someone of some authority, the problem is that too many of the answers contradict each other. It seems simple enough that if a class A license is required for a 10,001lb trailer, that should be in writing somewhere. I don’t mean to be confrontational on the subject, it is just very frustrating to not be able to get the information on a regulation you are required to follow
   Look on the back of your license, veh w/26001GVWR or more TOWED unit LESS than 10001 GVWR. When you get pull over that is what the DOT office is going to go by what is on the back of the license.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:16pm

Look on the back of your license, veh w/26001GVWR or more TOWED unit LESS than 10001 GVWR. When you get pull over that is what the DOT office is going to go by what is on the back of the license.
once again that is not what I am questioning. Class A or B license are only applicable above 26k

What i am asking is What is the minimum license required, in writing, for a combination UNDER 26,000lbs with a trailer OVER 10,000lbs. This is a very common situation with a 2500 or 3500 truck and a large trailer. If a Class A is required to tow a 10k trailer then where is this stated?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 4:56am
Its in WRITING on the link YOU posted. READ

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:35am
Print or buy a FMCSA DOT license regs
Put “NOT For Hire Private Coach” on haul truck in DOT required height and location
As noted in the Regs a GVWR on the haul truck over 26,000 and/OR a towed trailer in excess of 10,001 requires a Class A being used commercially or for a Non Farm Tagged Truck NOT hauling Farm Commodities crossing state boundaries.
You haul a set of tractors to a show out of state and do not license according to the laws
Your own fault
If arguing just to avoid the expense or set up a argument to use with DOT brownshirts
Good Luck as they carry the rules book and do not argue well
I have and will keep a Class A CDL
I do haul out of state I do haul my Own stuff primarily, I do not risk my license or insurance by being argumentative or cheap.
I read the rules as written and as explained by several different DOT professionals that explained just that way
Get the proper license for what is intended do as the law requires and do not have to play games of chance

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:22am
Checked with my local Virginia State DOT office and they told me if not commercial, then no CDL. No matter the rig size.
Haul for money (Even prize money) then you need CDL

I see it coming sometime soon that you will need a CDL or license of some sort to pull big RV's and like vehicles.

States That Require A Commercial Driver’s License

• Arkansas: CDL required for vehicle over 26,000 lb
  • Connecticut: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Hawaii: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Kansas: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • New Mexico: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Washington, D.C.: CDL (Class B) required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; CDL (Class A) required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wisconsin: CDL required over 45 feet

States That Require A Non-Commercial Special Driver’s License

• California: Class B license required over 26,000 lb or over 40 feet; Class A license required for towing over 10,000 lbs
  • Maryland: Class B license required over 26,000 lb
  • Michigan: Recreational Double “R” Endorsement required to tow a fifth wheel plus a trailer (it’s unlikely that you’ll ever need this)
  • North Carolina: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Nevada: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb; “J” Endorsement required to tow a vehicle over 10,000 lb (if the combined weight is less than 26,000 lb)
  • New York: Recreational Vehicle or “R” endorsement required for vehicles over 26,000 lb
  • Pennsylvania: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; equired for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • South Carolina: Class E license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class F license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Texas: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; Class A license required for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb
  • Wyoming: Class B license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing under 10,000 lb; Class A license required for vehicle over 26,000 lb and towing over 10,000 lb

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:32am
According to AAA, lists are ONLY three States in total with Non-Commercial Class A or B license.  Good luck with that VA reference once Leave VA.  FMCSA takes Precedence.  

Get what you pay for.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:54am

Its in WRITING on the link YOU posted. READ
   I have read it. Multiple times.

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver's license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver's license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less, a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab or an autocycle.

That is cut and paste from the pa-dmv

Class A. Combo OVER 26,000 w/ trailer OVER 10,000
Class B.   Single or combo OVER 26,000 w/ trailer UNDER 10,000
Class C.   Lists no weights.
Nowhere is a combination UNDER 26,000 w/ trailer OVER 10,000 mentioned

Obviously a class A would cover this situation but why would anyone go through the hassle and expense of doing that if it’s not required? I can’t speak for other states but in Pa it took 6 months just to get a test scheduled when I got my CDL B. A very high number of truck/trailer combinations fit the situation I am asking about. I understand that wether or not it is “commercial use” or not can be somewhat subjective but the weight class should not be. When I’ve asked people who should know I’ve received the following answers...
Trailer over 10k needs a CDL ...
If it’s over 17k you need a medical card but that’s all...
Your good as long as it’s not commercial...
That combo can’t happen...
Blank stares....

None could provide a source for their answer including state police and dmv.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:54am

do you have a source for that info? Nowhere can I find anything saying a 10k (10,001) trailer requires a class a, unless the combo is over 26k.

-------------
Wait for the Lord;

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:55am
I've been told (and have it in writing from Md. MVA/DOT) that for my needs a non-commercial class A will serve my needs and will be recognized anywhere that FMCSA has jurisdiction.
  As for the matter of prize money from tractor pulling; If I claim it on my regular IRS tax forms any do not use travel/truck expense deductions to offset the prize money, I am NOT considered "commercial" This is also in the letter I have from Md. MVA/DOT.
   I would be best for anyone asking questions like this, to go directly to their home state's MVA/DOT education section and ask very specific questions. If you do this by E-mail you will have it in writing. Carry a copy this correspondence in you vehicle at all times and don't argue with the person wearing a badge. If you are doing what has been asked of you, things will go well. I've had a Federal DOT eyesight exemption for over 40 years and only have a problem with those that can't read or refuse to comprehend the entirety of the exemption. 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
That is great advise. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any email contact info for Pa Dmv/ dot that will allow questions.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
Same as Paul, I have a email stating what I wrote. Not to worried about VA.

My issue comes when I drive to Harrisburg to pull ( Go thru MD, WV, PA) what happens if I get stopped?

-------------
Charlie

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 3:08pm
They fall back to Federal Law and FMCSA rules, that is where that problem occurs, VA, MD and As I read it CA have NON Commercial Class A and B license, NOT CDLs, if Not honored by another state is what it is.  In state would make little difference.  In MO we have Farm Exemption, where can haul OWN commodities to a marketer even across State Line IF WITHIN A BOUNDARY District, say Mid Mo to Western IL Ports.  CANNOT make a Run to IN or the OH River Ports in KY under the Exemption.

Argue yourself into a Ticket, it becomes YOUR responsibility to have Proper and Correct License as well registration and Health card if required.  No home state DOT will back you inside another state, they cannot as have ZERO jurisdiction there.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 4:03pm

I've been trying to get a real answer to this question for a couple years now. I've asked police officers and dmv employees with no results, so I figured id ask here....

What license is required to pull a combination that is LESS THAN 26,000LBS W/ a trailer that is MORE THAN 10,000LBS?

obviously a class A, CDL or noncommercial license would cover this, but ,they both are intended for 26k and up. It is very common to have this combination, basically every one ton pickup pulling a large trailer. I have heard several "answers" but nothing backed up in writing. I don't know if laws vary state to state but I'm live in Pa.. Here the back of a regular class C license reads single or combo less than 26k w/ trailer less than 10k. I'm looking for any info I can get but ideally a answer that i can back up with documentation.

OK to SIMPLIFY

Trailer has a Tandem DUAL Wheel axles set, rated at 14,000GVWR, truck setting in front of it as my own F250SD with 14,000GVWR, you are NOW at a combined 28,000 GVWR and CDL Required.  I am allowed NO CDL with NO Air Brakes on a Single Wheel tandem Gooseneck rated at 9000GVWR and my truck at 14000GVWR, 23,000Combined GVWR

NOT Licensed Weight but ID Tagged RATED.  I step UP to a Tandem DUALLY and I step across a Narrow margin becoming CDL Required.  And YES it is that simple.

You haul anything FOR SALE, or Sold and belongs to someone else, YOU are hauling For Hire, CDL Required WITH a DOT number. You haul to shows with trophies not a problem, haul to a competition with Monetary Gain you are hauling for revenue and are CDL REQUIRED.

Currently GVWR is being adjusted on high end one ton duallies and the step ahead 4500/5500 series trucks, these from the factory are CDL Required as are rated that high.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 5:56pm

OK to SIMPLIFY

Trailer has a Tandem DUAL Wheel axles set, rated at 14,000GVWR, truck setting in front of it as my own F250SD with 14,000GVWR, you are NOW at a combined 28,000 GVWR and CDL Required.  I am allowed NO CDL with NO Air Brakes on a Single Wheel tandem Gooseneck rated at 9000GVWR and my truck at 14000GVWR, 23,000Combined GVWR

NOT Licensed Weight but ID Tagged RATED.  I step UP to a Tandem DUALLY and I step across a Narrow margin becoming CDL Required.  And YES it is that simple.

You haul anything FOR SALE, or Sold and belongs to someone else, YOU are hauling For Hire, CDL Required WITH a DOT number. You haul to shows with trophies not a problem, haul to a competition with Monetary Gain you are hauling for revenue and are CDL REQUIRED.

Currently GVWR is being adjusted on high end one ton duallies and the step ahead 4500/5500 series trucks, these from the factory are CDL Required as are rated that high.
Dmiller, the examples you gave are accurate, no argument here. the 28k combo is clearly a class A requirement and the 23k is everyday regular license. BUT neither addresses the question i have been asking....

what license is required for a combination LESS than 26,000lbs when the trailer is OVER 10,000LBS?

the specific example that is currently parked in my driveway is a  gmc  dually at 13000lbs and a 4 horse trailer at 11,000 for a total combined gvw of 24000. Assuming the truck and trailer are properly plated and registered and the combo is strictly used for recreation, what license is the driver required to have?

-------------

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:26pm
I have a 1 ton dually licensed for 24K, my trailer is rated for 14K.  I have a class E in MO which is a commercial to allow me to drive my employers vehicle, nothing to do with my own.  I have hauled tractors, crawlers and trucks from PA to CO and OK to MN.  The only time I was ever questioned was by a genuine "Barney," in Beatrice, NE on my way home with a new empty trailer.  Everything is always strapped or chained down as it should be and I continuously paint over rust spots on the trailer.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
So long as ONLY your animals in the trailer, only need a Drivers license, add a Buddies and you have to have CDL.  CANNOT under any circumstance haul anything but your Own goods, CANNOT be sold or selling as that becomes For Profit and Business Based.  

JW, the strings are tightening where a State DOT decides to stop you it had better have all the correct paperwork.  Franklin County and STL County have their own DOT now along with STATE DOT crews.  St Charles county is toying with the idea as is Jackson County MO.
I was stopped by a MoSHP and taken back to St Clair scales ONCE in five years as passed it by with a Farm Tractor, my own.  The truck is Registered to Me, not Farm and was cautioned as to Farm Machinery hauling on BL plate opens a lot of chance encounters.  Explained Three farms greater than radius limit to F tags(one at one time in IL), they accepted that did not have to weigh.  A Dually with Dually trailer they are cracking down on as NOT exempt by GVWR.

IL is anyone's guess and are cash strapped.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:36am

So long as ONLY your animals in the trailer, only need a Drivers license, add a Buddies and you have to have CDL.  CANNOT under any circumstance haul anything but your Own goods, CANNOT be sold or selling as that becomes For Profit and Business Based.  

]
this was my original Interpretation, but have since been told by many, including members in this thread, that, that is incorrect. Do you have a source for this?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:50am
re: ...selling as that becomes For Profit and Business Based. 

yeesh SOME farmers ACTUALLY MAKE money ???Wink
hard to believe considering all the input costs and such....

There 'should' be a unified law for  driving on the highways, something simple and easy and UNIVERSAL......

I remember friend hauling steel outta Ontario into Michigan and when he got cross the boarder had to move the trailer axles for different spacing. That was just crazy ! hmm.. you can CHANGE the axle spacing ????

life is too dang short for so many rules....

-------------

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:52am
Laws vary in each state. Here in Illinois they are always bustin guys playing dumb! ---- I have class A with air brake and hazmat  CDL and DOT cards so they never bother me. Its no problem getting legal so you never have to worry.
In your case I would get the commercial rating and not worry about it. --- A lot of bs, ya, BUT saves you some money in fines and keeps you off their "hit list" in the future.

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:51pm
This is straight from Virginia State Code. Your state should have something similar available to look up

"Commercial driver's license" means any driver's license issued to a person in accordance with the provisions of this article, or if the license is issued by another state, any license issued to a person in accordance with the federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act, which authorizes such person to drive a commercial motor vehicle of the class and type and with the restrictions indicated on the license.

"Commercial driver's license information system" or "CDLIS" means the commercial driver's license information system established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration pursuant to § 12007 of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986.

"Commercial learner's permit" means a permit issued to an individual in accordance with the provisions of this article or, if issued by another state, a permit issued in accordance with the standards contained in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, which, when carried with a valid driver's license issued by the same state or jurisdiction, authorizes the individual to operate a class of commercial motor vehicle when accompanied by a holder of a valid commercial driver's license for purposes of behind-the-wheel training. When issued to a commercial driver's license holder, a commercial learner's permit serves as authorization for accompanied behind-the-wheel training in a commercial motor vehicle for which the holder's current commercial driver's license is not valid.

"Commercial motor vehicle" means, except for those vehicles specifically excluded in this definition, every motor vehicle, vehicle or combination of vehicles used to transport passengers or property which either: (i) has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds; (ii) has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; (iii) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver; or (iv) is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section. Every such motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be considered a commercial motor vehicle whether or not it is used in a commercial or profit-making activity.

The following are excluded from the definition of commercial motor vehicle:

1. Any vehicle when used by an individual solely for his own personal purposes, such as personal recreational activities;

2. Any vehicle that (i) is controlled and operated by a farmer, whether or not it is owned by the farmer, and that is used exclusively for farm use, as provided in §§  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-649.3/" rel="nofollow - 46.2-649.3  and  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-698/" rel="nofollow - 46.2-698 ; (ii) is used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; (iii) is not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier; and (iv) is used within 150 miles of the farmer's farm;

3. Any vehicle operated for military purposes by (i) active duty military personnel; (ii) members of the military reserves; (iii) members of the national guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time national guard duty, personnel on part-time national guard training, and national guard military technicians (civilians who are required to wear military uniforms), but not U.S. Reserve technicians; and (iv) active duty U.S. Coast Guard personnel; or

4. Emergency equipment operated by a member of a firefighting, rescue, or emergency entity in the performance of his official duties.

-------------
Charlie

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 1:52pm
Key wording and Mileage limitation, falls under same disguise as MO F Tag license.  So as here, hauling ONLY Your own products, NOT transporting other goods or services to another person, NOT using the conveyance as a business into itself.  Can haul Livestock(PER IRS Horses Do NOT count, Recreational Animal) and Crops or machines bought or traded in or sold, CAVEAT, Within 150 miles.  Collectors tractors are considered Hobby, NOT Farm supplies.  Put a conventional license on the machine and be caught with Neighbors livestock being hauled to market or haul a load of lumber for contracting purposes and you are done.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm
re: Collectors tractors

great WHAT is a ' Collectors tractors' ??????
Who decides what Collectors tractors are ?????

I can just see some 'silly servant' deciding anything NOT 'green' isn't a real tractor so it must be a 'collector tractor !!!LOL

bottom line, too many different rules and laws for SIMPLE things.....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 4:39pm
Yes indeed, should be cut and dry with clear rules. 

-------------
Charlie

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 7:53pm

JW, the strings are tightening where a State DOT decides to stop you it had better have all the correct paperwork.  Franklin County and STL County have their own DOT now along with STATE DOT crews.  St Charles county is toying with the idea as is Jackson County MO.
I was stopped by a MoSHP and taken back to St Clair scales ONCE in five years as passed it by with a Farm Tractor, my own.  The truck is Registered to Me, not Farm and was cautioned as to Farm Machinery hauling on BL plate opens a lot of chance encounters.  Explained Three farms greater than radius limit to F tags(one at one time in IL), they accepted that did not have to weigh.  A Dually with Dually trailer they are cracking down on as NOT exempt by GVWR.

IL is anyone's guess and are cash strapped.

I forgot to add that all this stuff was my own, I don't haul for others, I don't do it every day, just my stuff to shows or plow day etc.  I had a tractor shipped from Duluth, MN by a U-ship a guy with no DOT, he lost a wheel bearing in IA and Hwy patrol came by, said the trooper asked him 10 different ways about ownership and reason for travel.  I worked for a company that had DOT licensed trucks that did installations all over the midwest, boss always said if you wanted to know if you were DOT compliant, just drive through Nebraska.  They will give you a piece of paper stating all it takes to be compliant that day.  We had box trucks and they viewed  them as quick easy money.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:54am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Collectors tractors

great WHAT is a ' Collectors tractors' ??????
Who decides what Collectors tractors are ?????

I can just see some 'silly servant' deciding anything NOT 'green' isn't a real tractor so it must be a 'collector tractor !!!LOL

bottom line, too many different rules and laws for SIMPLE things.....

If its clean over 40 years old new tires and waxed it is probably a collectors tractor
Filthy and implements aboard probably a daily user

Posted By: bradley6874
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:26pm
Driver License Class     You May Drive:     You May Tow:     Exceptions
A     Any single combination of vehicles     Any trailer     Motorcycles Endorsements may be required
B     Motor vehicles 26,001 or more pounds (GVW)     Trailers 10,000 pounds or less     Combination of Class F (tractor) and Class G (trailer) Motorcycles Endorsements may be required
C     Motor vehicles under 26,001 pounds (GVW)     Trailers 10,000 pounds or less     Motorcycles Endorsements required
Commercial Driver License Endorsements

Endorsement Code     Authorizes:
T     Double/Triple Trailer
TPXS     All CDL Endorsements
P     Passenger Transport
S     School Bus Authorized
N     Tank Vehicle
H     Hazardous Materials
X     N and H Combined

-------------
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:30pm
Just stop by your local scales and ask them if you can bring your rig in for a courtesy inspection drive in get checked learn what's wrong and fix what they tell you to

-------------
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by bradley6874 bradley6874 wrote:

Just stop by your local scales and ask them if you can bring your rig in for a courtesy inspection drive in get checked learn what's wrong and fix what they tell you to
and pay all the fines for not being properly licensed, registered,ect

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by bradley6874 bradley6874 wrote:

Driver License Class     You May Drive:     You May Tow:     Exceptions
A     Any single combination of vehicles     Any trailer     Motorcycles Endorsements may be required
B     Motor vehicles 26,001 or more pounds (GVW)     Trailers 10,000 pounds or less     Combination of Class F (tractor) and Class G (trailer) Motorcycles Endorsements may be required
C     Motor vehicles under 26,001 pounds (GVW)     Trailers 10,000 pounds or less     Motorcycles Endorsements required
Commercial Driver License Endorsements

Endorsement Code     Authorizes:
T     Double/Triple Trailer
TPXS     All CDL Endorsements
P     Passenger Transport
S     School Bus Authorized
N     Tank Vehicle
H     Hazardous Materials
X     N and H Combined
is this Maryland info?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:19pm
Yes it's maryland right off dmv website.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:25pm
If they know your coming for a courtesy check no tickets just a list of what needs to be fixed . I had to add some more conspicuity tape ,my not for hire wasn't bold enough, and needed fire extinguisher inside decals

-------------

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

Yes sir,it catches my attention pretty quick to see one of those guys out in the far left lane,bopping to the tunes with his cap on backwards, in a 1997 half ton,pulling a worn out bumper pull car trailer with passenger car tires on with a bobcat on the trailer strapped down with 2 orange 4 wheeler straps,, I get out of the way!
That’s funny.…I just recently saw that scenario (almost exactly) on I-49 heading to KC.  Guy flew by me easily at 80-85 mph, the axles on his trailer had to be bent the way the tires were all splayed out.  About 5 mins later, I passed him pulled over with TWO blow outs on same side of the trailer.  They think just because it’ll roll it’s good; but horribly dangerous.

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:31pm
I often borrow my nephews gooseneck that is licensed to a commercial business. Believe I’m at risk of being deemed ‘commercial” even though I’m hauling my own goods.  I never use their stuff that has their emblems/decals that would stand out.

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: TheEndDoors
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:18am
Contact any driving school or police department. They are obliged to help you answer this question. I have never driven a trailer, especially with such a load. I used a fake driver's license for a long time until one day, it was checked at a hotel through this ID Analyzer -- http://https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/prime-id-scanner.html" rel="nofollow - idanalyzer.com . It's good that they only fined me -- when they took me to a police station, I thought they would give me a real sentence... People should never try to deceive government agencies with a fake id. They will find out about it sooner or later anyway.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:34am
I continue to hear or read LICENSE TAG Weight from people, it is NOT and not ever been LICENSED Weight but the GVWR on the Door Jamb, eradicate that sticker and the DOT boys have a catalog with that weight by VIN Codes.  The FED DOT established the rules NOT the local state code legislation, either deal with the Fed regulations and rules or pay your money takes your chances.  MO DOT(IE Brown Shirts) have been collecting LARGE SUMS from boys doing Hot Shot work, NO Labels, NO DOT Numbers, trying to Fly under the Radar.  Hot Shot (Ton Trucks and gooseneck trailers) are being singled out these days if no markings as are suspect by that.  Got stopped twice by MO DOT(Not to be confused with MoDOT Hwy Dept) hauling to BILs farm and Back, all checked as expected and well within bounds as to FARM Transport so was out of their jurisdiction as to the DOT side, but did perform Inspection on trailer and truck, BREAKAWAY Batteries are a requirement for Electric Brake set ups and HAVE to engage pucks if they pull the safety trip.  Mine Passed last time

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 12:09pm
Watch also forthe catch GOT YA of a Health Card to go with your DOT numbers , your CDL and in case you have any truck over 3/4 ton and are hauling anything needing plac cards , so if you have a propane tank in the bed you can be required to have a Has mat endorsment and need all DOT required rules . 
 MN changed laws on moving a skid loader (which was exempt for landscapers) to now require a license upgrade for trailer, truck , and person . 
  Farm use falls into gray areas , but that kicker is the 10,001 weight , as when that weight is reached a lot changes . The other hidden part is at that weight a DOT inspection sticker is needed on trailer and also tow vehicle . So a 1/2 ton or 3/4 which meets the tow requirement with a 10,001 trailer needs a DOT inspection sticker 

-------------

Posted By: bikergreat1911
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:05pm
In PA. It's very tricky to understand because there is 2 different laws to under stand. 1. Is you drivers license, the 2nd is the bridge law weight.
If you have a class C license you can haul up to 26,000 total comb weight ( total truck and trailer). Now on to the bridge law weight, vehicle classification if you have a 14,000 gvwr trailer your truck to the be license for combination weight. In pa if u have a trailer under 10k you only need to have a truck class high enough for  Tongue weight and the weight of the ppl in it. Once you go over 10k you need combination of truck and trailer weight. Thats even if you have a 16k rv camper.
So yes if your truck is 10k and your trailer is 15k total of 25k you can drive it with a class C. But you also need to have a combination weight of 25k on your truck  Registration.

The nice thing is now in PA you dont need to have a weight sticker on ur truck any more. So if your going to a few shows a year
 I wouldn't worry if you were doing it a lot then i would suggest uping your truck weight class.... it's very confusing, that you could be legal to operate said truck & trl. But not have the truck weight classes right... i hope this helps.

-------------
Youtube channel= rgs adventure

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm
I used to haul horses across the U.S., had a ferd dually 4-dr long box diesel at first, horse  trailer was an 8 horse slant with tack room, and dressing room in place of the living quarters. we never had to stop at any scales. If we did get contacted by law enforcement (DOT) we told them (I really shouldn't tell ya'll this but I will), that we were either going to or coming from a trail ride (and name off some place that has trails) we were good to continue then. we were always overloaded for that truck, I could tell cuz it wouldn't hardly pull the loaded trailer. sometimes down to 2nd gear on the interstates in the mountains and about to down shift to grandma gear nearing the top. whew! the owner of that truck finally traded it off for a 2-ton ferd with a 429 gasser, 8 ft flatbed and an automatic tranny. that truck pulled the same trailer fine and got better mileage than the dually diesel. it was really short wheel based and you couldn't hardly stand to drive/ride in it. about shook you to death! so when pulling the living quartered horse trailers, make sure to have a good tow vehicle as those type trailers are heavy! and you gotta make a good show to johnny law cuz he'll be watching!

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 9:54pm
oh....and those folks don't have that 2 ton truck anymore either, the flatbed company that mounted the bed had to move the plastic fuel tank so the bed would fit, they put it along side the exhaust pipe on one side...going up Big Thompson Canyon in CO, the heat melted the gas tank and the truck went up in flames, burnt that truck to the ground! we were able to get the trailer unhooked and a passer-by pulled the truck away from the trailer. no horses lost! 

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:42am
Interesting thread. I have an unrestricted ACZ drivers license issued in Ontario. I am qualified to drive anything including doubles up to 140,000 lbs gross weight except double 53' trailers and have done so for more than 50 years. I had the same issue getting a straight answer about double towing with my RV trailer. Finally after two offices couldn't come up with an answer, they told me to call the scale. Simple answer. I can do anything the big trucks can do. My rig is a single wheel pickup, 40' fifth wheel camper, and a 12' utility trailer for the golf cart and parts. Total maximum vehicle rating add up to 31,000 lbs but I will weigh less than that. The weight on the RV axles is over 10,000 lbs. All axles and tires along with pin weight will be below maximum ratings. In Ontario gross combination weight is carried on the tow vehicle plate which in my case is 24,400 lbs. Have a farm plate which is unrestricted for personal use.  Total length is 75'. Have made the trip to Portland and then to Pontiac GOTO in 2018 with no issues and am planning to do the same to  Baraboo. Due to reciprocity, I am qualified to run a 140,000 lbs gross B train in Michigan. Should I expect any problems ? 

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net