This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

drivers license requirements for 10k+ trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drivers license requirements for 10k+ trailer
    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
I've been trying to get a real answer to this question for a couple years now. I've asked police officers and dmv employees with no results, so I figured id ask here....

What license is required to pull a combination that is LESS THAN 26,000LBS W/ a trailer that is MORE THAN 10,000LBS?

obviously a class A, CDL or noncommercial license would cover this, but ,they both are intended for 26k and up. It is very common to have this combination, basically every one ton pickup pulling a large trailer. I have heard several "answers" but nothing backed up in writing. I don't know if laws vary state to state but I'm live in Pa.. Here the back of a regular class C license reads single or combo less than 26k w/ trailer less than 10k. I'm looking for any info I can get but ideally a answer that i can back up with documentation.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Hauling your own stuff or for hire?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:48pm
my own. i have been flying under the radar when i am hauling hay home from the fields and other farm tasks with our 12k gooseneck but we are considering a larger horse trailer w/ living quarters and id like to be legal to go farther from home. no plans on hauling for hire

Edited by Mrgoodwrench - 15 Jan 2021 at 7:50pm
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:15pm
At 10,001 the trailer becomes a commercial vehicle - as such you need a DOT inspection sticker on both trailer and tow vehicle 
 As trailer is then commercial the truck MAY become also - Now on license it seems you have crept into the CDL range and DOT Health Card is needed also .
10,000 pounds
Class B commercial driver's license is required to operate a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or tow a vehicle not heavier than 10,000 pounds.

Do I need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000 lbs? With regard to the familiar combination, a tow vehicle (whether truck, automobile, or tractor) towing a trailer, the driver needs a CDL if the tow-vehicle manufacturer's assigned GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. ... and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. In either case, the driver will need a Class A CDL.
Essentially, federal and state law both require a CDL if the vehicle or combination of vehicles: Has a GCWR over 26,000 pounds including a towed unit with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds; or. Has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds; or. Is designed to transport more than 15 people or hazardous materials.
Do I need a CDL to pull a 14000 lb trailer?
14000# GVWR trailer would need to be pulled by a truck exceeding 12000# GVWR to have a GCWR over 26000# requiring a CDL. ... Be aware that 1 ton dually 3500 Series trucks will put you over 26000# requiring a CDL as the trucks are normally over 12000# GVWR.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

At 10,001 the trailer becomes a commercial vehicle - as such you need a DOT inspection sticker on both trailer and tow vehicle 
 As trailer is then commercial the truck MAY become also - Now on license it seems you have crept into the CDL range and DOT Health Card is needed also .
10,000 pounds
Class B commercial driver's license is required to operate a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or tow a vehicle not heavier than 10,000 pounds.

Do I need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000 lbs? With regard to the familiar combination, a tow vehicle (whether truck, automobile, or tractor) towing a trailer, the driver needs a CDL if the tow-vehicle manufacturer's assigned GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. ... and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. In either case, the driver will need a Class A CDL.
Essentially, federal and state law both require a CDL if the vehicle or combination of vehicles: Has a GCWR over 26,000 pounds including a towed unit with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds; or. Has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds; or. Is designed to transport more than 15 people or hazardous materials.
Do I need a CDL to pull a 14000 lb trailer?
14000# GVWR trailer would need to be pulled by a truck exceeding 12000# GVWR to have a GCWR over 26000# requiring a CDL. ... Be aware that 1 ton dually 3500 Series trucks will put you over 26000# requiring a CDL as the trucks are normally over 12000# GVWR.
interesting. what is your source for that info? if that is accurate then the DOT is missing literally millions annually as most three horse trailers, fifth wheel campers and tandem gooseneck trailers are 11k and up. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
Coke, after reading you post again and google searching the 10k question, i still dont see any clear answer. if the combo is under 26k the trailer being over 10k doesnt seem to matter. https://www.felling.com/towing-cdl-requirements/ ; graphic on that link shows it must be both over 26k and a trailer over 10k. by math the 14k trailer would need to be over 26k combo. the next wrinkle is the "used in commerce" requirement. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:49pm
Go looking for a state cop.  THEY know the laws cause they enforce em.  I had a similar question and couldn't get ANY answers either.  You'd think the DMV would help, but they don't care, they just want to license you and take your money.  Pulled into a weigh station on the interstate and asked the 3 state police that were there.  After 4 seconds, they all started telling me what I had to do.  They were nice and asked if I had gone other places to find an answer and I told them, they were about the end of the list and NOBODY would help, but they sure did.  They still help dummies, besides serving and protecting.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:55am
re: i am hauling hay home from the fields
To add even MORE confusion, at least up here....

I can haul ANY 'farm' trailer behind anything on any road (cept 400 series highways) without ANY licenses. The 'trick' is to put a SMV sign on the trailer and go less than 40KM ( 24 MPH). That is BURIED in the Ontario HTA . OK it does say 'farm use' and I'm pretty sure hauling hay IS 'farm' use !! Don't even need trailer plate and if hauling with D-14 NO drivers license either.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 6:27am
That weigh combination is very common and I've heard in Iowa they go over them with a fine tooth comb- if it were me and hauling my own I'd just drive and don't look back- keep it all legal ie; lights, tires, etc and they probably won't mess with you as they usually look for commercial guys if you do get stopped tell them you've tried to get info and made your head spin it's a racket as it seems each one has different views I ran that way for years never a problem
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:21am
We do exactly the same— 3500 dodge dually with a flat bed, pa tagged truck @ 12k and combo under 26k, 3 horse 14k trailer tagged in Maine without a weight on the registration. I think the key is the living quarter as this makes it “recreational”. We have talked to pen-dot, our friends that are both state and local police. No one has a clear answer but, she was pulled over on 81 a while back and the only issue was the mirrors on the truck were not extended as designed(dumb on her part, I know!). I also move hay with a 24’ trailer and have had the same question when I am selling the hay off the farm. I moved finished cattle a while back and the scale showed almost 31k with truck and steel trailer. I feel like this is asking for trouble in many ways, but that was livestock.

Edited by allisbred - 16 Jan 2021 at 7:42am
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09am
If your not for hire I don't believe you need a CDL, what you do need is the proper weight registration on truck & trailer. I have an F-350 dually crew cab 4x4, I have 18,000 lb BL tags on it, hooked to our 5th wheel I am right at that weight, I am going to a 24K plate for two reasons, one ?run into the wrong guy with the DOT & they will make you drop the trailer. Second reason,god forbid I get in an accident and am over the weight I have the truck registered for and the lawyers will have a field day. I do know here in Missouri the DOT has a field day with landscapers,firewood guys,contractors who are definitely for hire,over 10,000 lbs running around with no DOT numbers and over the licensed weight of the truck. Hopefully this cleared this up for you. I would check with your state because some are different than others, for example, I believe Iowa & Wisconsin now require a CDL if any trailer you pull is over 3 foot long. Long & short is don't confuse registered truck weight & CDL requirements.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:22am
Ok, please 'humour' me....
say you're a farmer,use trailer for farm business(cattle/hay/??), how is THAT not 'commercial' ?  Afterall you're using it to make money for your business ?

Kinda a grey/gray area ??

Just curious

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
Absolutely a gray area. That is the problem I have. I don’t worry when I’m moving hay because it is 3 miles tops and we post a smv triangle and stay under 30 so no big deal. If you look at the link I posted earlier the “commercial” question is terrible. A horse show with a cash prize is commercial! My kids win $20 at most.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
I would never tell an officer if you just came back from a show and made a big win(still a loss, but another subject), bigger issue with hauling someone else’s horse in your trailer to and from the shows which happens in many cases. If pulled over— those are “your” horses not someone else’s. Next big concern would be is when traveling to congress or other large shows as that can provide issues going through other states.

Edited by allisbred - 16 Jan 2021 at 11:17am
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
Like I said,check with your state they are going to be different. Here in Missouri as long as its farm use as in your farm your good. But again if you have a 1500 Chevy with 6,000 lb tags on it & your trying to move a gooseneck load of large round nails your going to be illegal. A one ton dually with 24k tags on it and your good. Now, go into the hay hauling business for hire and it's a whole different animal.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:39am
Maybe this will clear it up. I can take my truck with my gooseneck, put both my tractors & equipment on it and haul it 80 miles to my place in Reynolds Missouri to work as long as I'm not over the 18k I have the truck licensed for I good. Now,suppose the local tractor dealer calls me and wants me to go deliver a new tractor for him I am illegal because I'm for hire then.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:11am
Look as the GVWR can change the class when a trailer is attached 
Not the GVW of the license plate but rating of the truck itself - then adding the trailer . 
 DOT inspection sticker is another one - if the trailer is required to have a inspection - then the tow vehicle is also. 
 Then there is the Health Card - your special DOT card that says your not going to die while driving - least not from a few things .
 Oh if you take your DOT - Class A or B test in a automatic transmission truck - you can't drive a stick shift with the license .

One that makes no sense at all - is you can drive a vehicle with RV plates without all those restrictions - be it a motor home or a tractor trailer with air brakes 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
I'm glad you brought up the rv part.  Pennsylvania added a "recreational trailer" and "recreational cargo trailer" plate designation. a living quarter horse trailer would actually qualify as either. that should help remove the "used for commerce" portion of the requirements. that trailer designation also carries with it a possible exemption from combo registration. I'm a little fuzzy on the language they used so I don't really understand the limits of that exemption . maybe someone can "decode" it for me
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:48pm
Order the DOT handbook, to be Exempted under Farm status the entire rig has to be Farm Registered and Licensed(Restricts Distance can haul), MO does not give a darn of Licensed Weight, they as other DOT look at Registered ID Sheet GVWR tags and ratings.  A MO Beyond Local(BL) license tag for a Individual releases from DOT Inspections HOWEVER once pass 26001GVW towing anything Class A CDL IS Required and all required inspections are forthcoming.

Newest Dodge Diesel 3500 8' bed, crew cab dually's come in with a Frightening GVWR, from 22xxx to 37xxx dependent of options, have to read the Cab installed ID Tag to see what are buying.

There is NO NON-Commercial Class A CDL available I am aware of.  Step across the mark to CDL and fall into DOT territory physical and all.

Title as RV in MO and get Car Plates for the Truck are NOT ALLOWED to pull any trailer EXCEPT the RV you have, NO LOAD PERMISSIONS AT ALL except in truck bed, same as a Auto Trunk.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Jan 2021 at 12:51pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
REGARDLESS the State Statutes, ALL CDL license holders fall under FMCSA Guidelines and rules

Should you be ticketed in a Car, On a Motorcycle REGARDLESS the machine, if have a CDL it is applied as conditional to your CDL, get a DUI, DWI or severe enough infraction for points and LOSE your rights to a CDL and being able to tow.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Jan 2021 at 12:56pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 1:16pm
Seem motor homes going right by weigh station on I 94 coming out of WI - couple pulling a trailer - with another boat on trailer behind - triple unit . 
 Same as friend drove by weigh station with his 1 ton Ford - had a set or torches strapped upright to headache rack - got pulled over and made to return to station . 
 Ticket for regulators attached to torches , ticket for no Hazardous placards on truck , ticket for no CDL as carrying Hazardous materials endorsement  , ticket for no health card , oh and double on the CDL as none and no endorsement.
  How do the rules : 
 A few days before he got stopped I went through that same weigh station with my 66 White Dump truck and was told to pull around for level 1 inspection - so 45 minutes later everything was OK and went inside to finish paperwork - Another inspector started asking how many tickets the inspector wrote on the truck ( NONE )  so he says go over it again , use State and Federal laws and find something - cant let a old truck like that go through without finding something to write a ticket for .
  When inspector handed me back the paperwork he also gave me a CVSA sticker - said put it on lower right side of windshield - it might keep A Holes like the other guy from going nuts if stopped for a roadside inspection .
 About a week later got stopped coming out of gravel pit - inspector said they were going to do a level 1 inspection - took out paperwork from week before and said I also had the CVSA sticker - took a quick look at papers - walked around truck and said take off were done .

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm
Coke,you found a good guy! There are a few around that haven't been to Pri#k school!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 2:00pm
Friend of mine retired sold his house bought a RV motor home just under the CDL requirement and went to Texas for the winter. What scares me is this guy is a Diabetic that passes out from time to time ! When they first got the RV they were at a camper park and he passes out,wife calls ambulance they take him to Hospital she can't drive Motor Home! Whenever I meet one on the road I shudder thinking it could be him I'm meeting and he is going to pass out!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 2:07pm
I have here somewhere the motor vehicle code, for state and Federal, plus, I emailed my state rep and asked her. The bottom line is, 10k trailer, u do not need a combination license, nor a medical card. there is no requirement for your drivers licenses, under 10k trailer. HOWEVER...if you make any money at all with that truck and trailer, you are considered commercial, and the rules change tremendously. Medical card, and combination licenses are then required. Here's the rub, if you have antique tractors, and haul them for show, and they are judged for prizes, according to a lot of cops and DOT, you are now making money, and are now commercial. I know two guys that happened to. I know they fought it, but never heard the outcome. Another local fellow was pulled over at the weight station on 80. He had a tractor on the trailer that he had sold and was delivering. Mind you, he was not a business, was not in the practice of buying and selling, etc. This was one that was no longer used, so he sold it. Cops said he made money on it and the fines were over $1500.
Unfortunately, the DOT/cops are not following the spirit of the law, and are applying their own interpretation! You may, or may not beat it in court.
If pulled over, the less you say, the better!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:13pm
Went through all this a few years ago ,got correct tags and driver License .Then ask the State trooper that helped me with this  witch is called a ( Interpreter of the law ) I am now legal ,he said well I am a Interpreter of the Law . NOT THE Enforcer witch is officer that pull's  u over and determines your faith by the situation .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:21pm
I will guess every state will have something different in how they want to treat the same situation. 

A DOT officer came to meeting of farmers and explained what was enforced here in Cal about 10 years ago, so who know what has changed since. A big one to many was that recreationally was different than "farm exemption". His example was using a gooseneck to haul one horse you where exempt from CDL if going to gather your cattle, going to a horse show your not.

Since most legislators are lawyers as well, write everything so there are at least 2 ways to look at the situation.  So look up your state laws (not that hard to do online ) read it for yourself. Then take questions to a DOT officer. Then decide how much of your life and accumulated wealth you want to put at risk. 

With restrictions on everything how the recreational vehicle business is the way it is makes no sense. But would not sell many motor homes if they had to pass a test before buying one and driving off with it.    
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:22pm
Told this before as well, buddy with RV license on his PU Truck, 17000gvwr(Towing) Dodge grabs a buddies trailer to haul lumber, cop sees has Auto plate on truck pulls him over, asks for registration, gets ticket for improper use of RV license, failure to license truck for cargo weight, etc etc etc, cost him over $500 in fines and $1200 for attorney that could not fight it.
Next up guy buys New Dodge 3500 last year, has over 28,000 GVWR, No CDL towing Tandem Dual Wheel Gooseneck rated at 14,000, gets stopped with backhoe hauling for buddy, NOT getting paid but also NO CDL against weight capacity and tries to slough it off on 24,000 license, gets taken to portable scales, weighs in at 25,7xx, gets additional tickets and truck towed to SHP yard, IMPOUNDED.

Do as SUPPOSED TO DO, Not as Want to do, and Not skirting law and will not be beaten until cannot afford to drive.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Geesh-  Ag commodities are not comercial- how could anyone think that ! Lol,, TomC ive seen a few of those firewood haulers and do it your selfers around that area and the sub burbs of St Louis - and most need to be off the road ! Very sad hauling methods     
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm
As other have said "YOU NEED TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION TO YOUR STATES DOT/MVA", Only they can give you the absolute answer to your question. They will tell you what you need to do. 
  That being said here in Maryland I can drive an 80,000 tractor trailer combination (or anything smaller) with a NON-CDL class A license that does not require a medical card, as long as I am not hauling for hire. I may haul my own farm commodities or equipment with a NON-CDL. Now the vehicle itself must have the federal DOT inspection stickers. I have this in an E-mail from Maryland's MVA. Any vehicle, be it a truck, trailer or combination that has a GVW of over 10,000 pounds is a COMMERICAL vehicle and must adhere to the federal DOT rules.  However those vehicle if used for a NON-commercial purpose does not need a commercial license, although it must be of the class needed for a given vehicle. 
   If you do any hauling for anyone else, or haul things related to making income, you instantly become commercial.

Edited by PaulB - 16 Jan 2021 at 3:50pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
Unless have updated VERY recently are only TWO states offering a NON CDL Class A license, and that is VERY Restrictive on what or how you are operating.  To me not worth the paper written on.  GA and MD.

IL has been reviewing to add a RV endorsement with a Special Test to eliminate some of the heart ache associated to RV users that should NOT be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic