This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Series III electrical issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Series III electrical issue
    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:02pm
HI Everyone,

I have a D17 series III gas that my father in law bought new back in early 60's ('63 maybe?).  Still Positive ground with the original generator.

Anyway, the battery tray was rotted right off from years of overflowing battery acid.  Also, some of it got on the starter solenoid located underneath.  So I took the tray off and had a new one fabricated.  When I re-installed, I also installed a new solenoid:
"(Description: Solenoid and manifold heater switch, 12-volt. Supersedes 233296. For tractor models D10, D12, D14, D15, D17.  Solenoid Switch Part Number 70237136)"  as I concluded being dowsed in battery acid numerous times probably wasn't a recipe for success.

That is when the problems started.

When I tried to hook up the negative wire to the battery, it starts welding with the post.  I don't mean a little spark...I mean arc welding.  At no time does the starter try to engage, so I don't think there's a short in the push button.

I've been through the wiring twice thinking I either hooked something up backwards, didn't have a good ground for the solenoid or there was a pinched wire somewhere.  Negative on all three.  So then I started replacing parts, just in case there was additional corrosion that I couldn't see causing a ground issue.  I've replaced:

• The regulator (there was corrosion behind on the copper traces)
  • The key switch (it was out in the weather and there was considerable difficulty turning the key, thought perhaps corrosion inside)

I also tried:
  • Removing the starter cable in case there was a short in there....no change when trying to connect the battery cable.
  • Jumping the solenoid body to the ground on the battery, in case the ground wasn't happening because of corrosion or paint - nothing improved.

So I'm out of ideas where to look.  It is a fairly simple system, but I'll be darned if I can locate the problem.  Could the solenoid be bad right from the manufacturer?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm
Put the old solenoid back on and see what happens. Your new one may be defective. Also look closely at the cable terminals at the solenoid. Look for a short there. I assume you have the solenoid wired correctly and the starter isn't trying to engage when you attach the battery cable.

BTW, for safety sake, attach the positive (ground) cable last.

Edited by DougS - 11 Aug 2018 at 3:31pm
TonyT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:49pm
Unfortunately, I can't put the old one back on.   The small post broke off when I was removing it, so there's no going back.  Only way to check for a bad one is to replace it.

You are correct, there is absolutely no attempt by the starter to move.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:38pm
If you have an ohm meter, disconnect the cables and check the resistance from the solenoid studs to the solenoid case.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:53pm
When I replaced the generator on my series II D-17, I found that the instructions in the operator's manual said that the "F" terminal on the generator was the post next to the engine and the 'A" terminal was the one farthest from the engine.
Turns out the terminals are located exactly opposite of that.
If I recall correctly, the terminals are identified with the letters A and F stamped into the generator housing.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:46am
The after market solenoid was hitting the tin work. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:33am
I'm wit' Don on that one. If you're getting a flash at the Battery terminal like that, you definitely have a dead short on board somewhere. Make sure your major connections are not grounding out on the sheetmetal where you are overlooking it.  You'll find the problem.

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
stroketech View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroketech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 3:01pm
I ran into this exact problem after I broke a stud off of the original solenoid on my Series IV. Went to the friendly local Allis dealer and got a new one. It did exactly as you just said. Got a second one and it was the same. The new ones from Allis do not work in this application. I wish I had the part # from the Napa solenoid I put on it but it worked great and the guy at Napa knew exactly what I was talking about. It has to do with how the solenoid grounds itself.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 4:45pm
The other thing I notice is that the solenoid he describes is for a diesel as it is a combination starter switch and "manifold heater" switch.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 14 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
TonyT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:58am
Thanks everyone....some followup comments

BrianG:  The solenoid I ended up getting was listed as a replacement for the gas series III, not a diesel although I wouldn't be surprised if it was listed wrong.  Also, I did verify the generator leads were correct.

Don/Steve:  I agree, it seems like that (grounding somewhere on the tin), but it's not.

Strokertech:  I think you're on to something.  I do think that I probably have the wrong solenoid (which is also kind of what BrianG said.....).  I will contact NAPA and hopefully find someone that is knowledgeable enough to get me the right one.  By chance, could you upload a picture of the one you have so I have half a chance to troubleshoot before I lay out more $$$ for another wrong one? 

Thanks all!

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroketech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:43am

I finally figured it out after staring at the Allis wiring diagram and how the solenoid grounds. I'm going to try to get the part number and a pic of the one that works like a champ.

Edited by stroketech - 14 Aug 2018 at 1:37pm
TonyT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:47am
Well, I tried NAPA, they say the only solenoid available is the one that sits on the starter, not the remote one.  Not sure what difference it would make, the part they offered up was ST113.  I called the AC dealer and he ordered one in.....I'm hoping they actually have the right one.

TonyT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:48am
That would be great Stroketech, I sure would appreciate it.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroketech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:36pm
I deal with our AC dealer several days a week through my job and they didn't even realize it until I got the two from them. I just told the Napa guy I needed an old style starter relay that was case grounded and he found one from some old Ford truck.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroketech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:22pm
I can't see a part number on it but it was Napa brand and is different from a solenoid that would be considered a "normal automotive" starter solenoid.

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:33pm
Well Tony, as soon as read "remote" solenoid, my first thought went to a mid 80's Ford. 
Wife had an 86 Ford Grand Marquis with a remote solenoid. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 4:22pm
Sure looks like your typical mid-60s and 70s Ford solenoid.
One of the small terminals probably reads (I) for ignition and the other (S) for starter.
I parted out a dozen 60s Falcon/Comets and a half dozen 60s to 70s Fairlane/Torinos and I still have a few of those solenoids around somewhere.
I used at least 4 in converting WDs and WD-45s to 12 volt negative ground.
Maybe they would work with a positive ground system as well?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 5:06pm
Switching D17 over from pos ground to neg never needed to change any solenoids...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic