This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concrete poles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
Yep, the price for lumber today after hurricanes is too high. Using concrete poles instead of wood 6x6ms is more complex than lumber poles. I don't know much about building a shed with concrete poles. You might need to use the concrete contractors' company at least for planning your building. When I met this kind of problem building a new shed for my car, I went to professionals in my area fremontconcretepros.com, this company solved my problem, after the hurricane I needed only to do a small repair on the roof.

Edited by Donaker - 22 Sep 2021 at 2:37pm
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by m16ty m16ty wrote:

Current pricing for treated 6x6x16 is $100 each. A 6x6x16 concrete post contains 4 cubic feet. I can mix my own concrete for less than $50 per yd. So that means I can make a 6x6x16 concrete post for less than $10 in concrete plus rebar. I’ve got a pile of rebar I got off a job they were going to throw away. That is what got me to thinking about it.

OK just picked this one.  
First off 6x6 concrete will flex with side loading, thus that factor of 10 rule, as they flex they stress fracture and allow moisture in, degrade the resilience of the concrete and allows moisture to the steel re-rod, it corrodes and stresses the concrete further by expansion of said rust.  Failure in a few years at best.  That is the reason Concrete Columns in any exposed construction tend to be LARGE Diameter.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 6:41pm
Why not get used telephone poles? Heck, buy new ones?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:47pm
hear if you buy the sand rock and portland cement it is stil over 100$ dollars a yard and that isnot the cost of hauling the product that waas what it cost us five years ago we hand mixed 15 yards ready mix hear is 185 delivered we was going to have a pad poured behind our shop this year steel is still the cheapest for a equipment shed
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:36am
IF determined to go Wood, expand on some considerations.  Wood post generally do not rot off Below Grade, they rot At grade where the Biologic critters live, treating only preserves the post against insects, not fungus or bacteria which essentially is what creates the rot.  Wrapping the Wood post with tar glued plastic and are post wraps available to do same thing, well above grade line will reduce the problem just not eliminate it.  Are several new materials to fill the holes instead of conventional stone millings or screenings(IE Concrete Foam), can even set Piers some 30-48" into soil with a Post anchor on top set to Height where the post themselves will not be wetted or available to munching microbes.

As Wood product pricing continues to lower, wood again can compete against steel supports done similarly to last response.

Edited by DMiller - 21 Sep 2021 at 4:37am
MichaelSavan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelSavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:57am
I don't think it's a great idea if you've never built or studied concrete foundations for buildings. It's an extremely precise job that requires a lot of planning and calculation. The surface has to be very level, which is quite difficult to arrange. It is best if you use some tools for this, which you may not have. Also, the materials, including tools, may not be cheaper than wood. So I honestly don't see the point in such an endeavor. However, if you want a concrete floor, I suggest hiring professionals from jmballaratconcreters.com.au to get it done perfectly. Or try to do it another way

Edited by MichaelSavan - 17 Nov 2022 at 5:19am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 4:36pm
Another option, Scrap or Seconds Pipe Sales.  We have one in Owensville MO.  6x6 or 4x6 Square Steel pipe or even tube(Thinner wall) set a mounting bolt square in a concrete pier, drill pads and weld to one end of pipe, set pipes, can add plates with drilled holes for Girts and still build pole barn style., "L" Saddle at the top for truss nailer plate.  Set them 6 or 8'OC at the ends diagonal brace reverse from each end and will be solid, secure, square.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 11:35pm
" It is pretty hard to do it alone."

Spammer necroposting.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:00pm
just checked with local concrete company for price of concrete for our new home....quoted $150. a yard
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:05am
and it weighs 150# per cubic foot....
so costs  4 cents per pound

hay, I woke up to WHITE this morning !!!! grrr.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic