This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevy 292

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy 292
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:41pm
So if someone were to put a Chevy 292 with split manifold etc. in a 45 or D17 what kind of horse could they have?  Would any of the clubs let you pull with that?
Sponsored Links

L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 9:34am
I am down in TN. We have a couple of clubs that pull outlaw class. I have a WD with a 292 on it.  The rules are simple.  Any gear , any rpm. It seems that clubs all over are inching up in their mph and rpm. I have really enjoyed the outlaw classes. I am too old and too slow to drive anymore but I still love to hear it go down the track.  If you ever take a ride on one , I am sure you will like it.

L Hud
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 10:12am

Hello Larry how you doing? Claus youre starting out with 170 horse engine if you use a 292 . The hp can go up to 600hp its hard to keep the crank in one at that hp from what i have been told  by people who worked for the late jim headrick. I know the cfm capabilities of the 292 head I just cant seam to get anyone to give me the flow data from a 301 to compare. Larrys is the only one I have been around that the rpms didnt fall off quick when the box came up.

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:12am
I saw a 292 installed in a D17D series 1; looked pretty easy and worked well for the guy who couldn't afford to overhaul the original engine.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:23am
I always thought that a 292 inline would work quite well in a WC, or WD chassis. That engine was offered in a lot of GM Mason dumps and commercial vehicles of the 60's-70's. They make a lot of torque in the cellar. I would think it would make a great pullin' engine. A buddy of mine has one in his old dump truck. I think that would look and work well in Hercule's my ole' WC.  L Hud, I assume you made an adapter plate to couple the 292 to the driveline? What parts were needed to make everything work? Still been thinkin' bout that yet for over a year now....
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:36am
Cant you get an adapter plate off of a combine?
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 4:07pm
Steve. Yes it takes a couple of adapters. One for the bellhousing and one for the flywheel. The one for the flywheel has two purposes. One to adapt the flywheel to the crank hup and make it so you can use the stock starter. The flywheel has to be repunched to match the  crank.  A friend of mine made the adapters and flywheel. Mine has a custom one piece flywheel.  As for the horsepower, the 292 makes hp on the rpm's. That is not below 3000. Of course this is all relative to cam ,head, carbration. I don't know how many horses mine has, from what I read about other people saying how much theirs have and whats been done to them, I would guess between 275 and 300  at its given rpm range.
mpanky. if you want to talk head flow, go over to inliners and hang out a while. Those boys have flowed everything that is in line.
Mine tractor is for sale. I posted it here last year. My son posted some pics of it. Should be able to do a search and find the old postl.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 4:13pm

This may be a dumb question, if your running in an outlaw class with no rpm, no gear limit etc., why not use a small block instead?  Does the 292 offer any advantage over a V8?

L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 4:17pm
The v8 are another class. Some clubs call the v8 class hot rod. Small and Big block. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:05pm
larry I have flow numbers from scott marshall (cncdude inliners )as well as self and meux on the 292 .I cant get any flow numbers from anyone  on the allis 301 head . The 301 allis engine can be punched to over 400 cubic inches if it has the cfm to support 600 hp in my mind the extra torque of the extra cubes and steel crank would be beneficial. LARRY did  you pulled against last year  the 301 powered d17 in crossville.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:16pm
 Local trucking company was into old tractors on the side and had IH mostly , one they put a IH truck engine into 450 cu.in black diamond engine that has truck arated HP of 190 or so at 1800 RPM I believe. Don't think they pulled with it but just as a show item.
 I know the White Super Mustang I have is 200 HP at 2200 RPM . 450 ft lb  torque and just looks like a Chev 6 on steroids.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:39pm
Hi Larry, I have a WD-45 with a 262 in it out of a Gleaner Combine works really well..I also have a 292 out of Massey 410 combine we had on the farm for a # of years. I went with the 262 because it seemed like an easier install. I would really like to get more information from you on the adapter plates for the 292 conversion and see some photos of your tractor. I couldn't find any old pic on the post.
Jim
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:22pm
Mlpankey. I did not run across the D 17. Russell came to our fair with his Red Diamond IH. he is from Crossville. He has some ride. My little AC came close but no cigar.LOL
Z, I have a WD 45D with a 230 gas in it. It was that way when I bought it. I got it off of a farm in KY. Had been done for years. I use it to feed with here in the winter. It will burn more gas than anything on the place.  The reason we went with the 292 was we were chevy people. LoL. The cost is the main reason. We could get off the shelf parts and they were cheaper.  We did research on the 262 and 301 as to cost. It was going to take a arm and a leg. Also was the issue of weight. We wanted to stay in the light classes.  The 292 weighs less than the stock 226. We liked the 4000 class. Keeps the Oliver boys honest. LoL You can have a good running and competitive tractor for the fraction of the cost as to some of the other motors.  I will have my son post some pics. I am not that sharp computer wise.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:39pm
Are you guys gonna have that pull at the county fair again.
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:50pm
Here are some pictures of Pop's WD w/292 chevy. 

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:59pm
Very cool!  You were even able to use the WD starter?
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:35pm
Yes we are going to have the pull again. The antique pull is on Thur. night of the fair. We keep the number of classes low. We only run 4000 thru 6500 antique class at 4mph. The other classes are 4000 thru 6000 Outlaw.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:26pm
Larry, can I get a little more detailed info from you on the adapter plate for the bellhousing and motor and the flywheel starter etc..
Thanks,
Jim
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:42pm
Z, The adapter plate is much like the one used when you put the 262 in your WD. If you look at the pic. posted and then look at your tractor  you should see the similarity. A friend of mine made the adapters and used my 45D as a visual pattern.  I don't know if he has any now or not. A boy over near Hoptown came and bought a set from him last year and put one together.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 6:27pm

Larry which fly wheel and clutch did you use the WD's or the 292's. I have a fellow not far from me who installed a 292 in a WC and he kept the 292 and truck tranny together and everything pretty much matched right up. He has a set of 1/2 tracks on it and uses it to pull logs out of the bush. The torque is unreal and its unbelievable on fuel.

Jim
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 4:08pm
Z, We used the WD flywheel. You have to repunch it to match the chevy pattern. The other adapter goes between the flywheel and the crank hub. It fits the flywheel on one end and the hub on the other. Its thickness is what makes it possible to use the WD starter. I don't remember how thick it has to be. 
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:25pm
H, is it possible to get your friends name & # to contact him regarding the adapter plates and the flywheel. Wondering if he might be interested in making that up for me or giving me the details. H, I would love to have my engine and adapter pieces ready to replace the 262 it's just to expensive to work on or modify for power.

Thanks, JZ
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 9:25pm
Hud,
Love that installation! The tri-power is pretty slick too! I'd be interested also in a set of those adapter plates if your buddy still makes em'. Ole' Herc' my WC would look pretty cool with one of those dudes in it!
Steve@B&B
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 11:03am
I will check and see if he has any more. Or if he is going to make any. I will get his email and send it ,so you can talk heads up.
Thanks for the kind words Steve. I love the 3 deuces. You should her roar. I love to hear it go. For the AC people, in the first pic. , What is missing?
TYLER View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TYLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 12:34pm
Larry, This Tyler Hancock. I was wondering if you still had your RC for sale? Also I need to Holler at you about  your engine. If you don't mind e-mail your phone number again please.  tylerhancock@aol.com      Thanks, tyler
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 1:34pm

Very nice work Hud!  I'll bet that 292 sounds good going down the track.  I noticed the hand clutch is gone.  Was that to remove weight, or because the hand clutch would not hold up?  What work was necessary to bolt the bellhousing directly up to the transmission?

I am in the process of gathering parts for a G262 conversion myself.

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 4:53pm
Hey Tyler, Yes the RC is still for sale. I saw some pics of your tractor. It  looked good. I sent you an email.
Brian you have a good eye and truly an AC man. Every piece of that tractor is AC. Even every bolt (except the grade 8 holding the wt. rack.) Take a guess as to how it was done?
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 5:39pm
Appearance wise, it looks like the bellhousing would bolt right up to the transmission, but I didn't think the transmission input shaft would be long enough to reach the clutch.  Did you extend/couple the shaft?  Thanks.
A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
L Hud View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:16am
You are right the bellhousing is bolted direct to the trans. It is all AC, I did not make anything. Think a moment and you will figure it out . What uses a long input shaft?
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 7:42pm
not sure... i would love more info to...Fall is coming and im looking to build a new puller. let me know what i need to do so i can make a list. it would be greatly apreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic