This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca run a brush hog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J._N.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:25am
a CA has a much higher PTO than most utility tractors do so be sure to grease your over runner often as there is more pressure on it than on a tractor like an 8N, I didn't grease my first one enough and it got really sloppy from wear. TJ
Sponsored Links

Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 3:31pm
Ok thanks for letting me know about this
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

The ONLY hand clutches that work are on the John Deere 730 tractors.---On them you PUSH to go NOT pull like ac.---The pull action forces the clutch lever in at a overly fast rate and you end up jumping the front end off the ground! --- There is no way to use the backwards things on the allis tractors. ---One of mine dont even have a handle, someone else got tired of it and locked it engaged, and removed the handle.
IF allis would have made them like Deere, (push to go), they would be fine.

Wooowwww....this should be fun!!!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:14pm
Think someone should have told Cat they were doing it wrong too and should have followed Deere's design of push to engage?
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:12pm
Two things, running a bush hog on a tractor without live PTO and no over run coupler is asking for trouble, $50 bucks to save your life is cheap insurance.  You cannot guarantee you can perform after a sudden woodchuck hole crossing, or bees nest upheaval, or whatever you encounter.  If you can predict every situation you will encounter and guarantee the outcome you should buy a lottery ticket, only takes one to win, and one mistake for a serious accident.

Second, hand clutches are a "run what they brung" deal, direction is a detail.  I operate equipment for a living, often changing between several pieces a day and some controls are different, you have to adapt or else you should go flip burgers, not everyone belongs in the seat. 

I own 2 CA's and am looking at a third, the one that brush hogs has an over run on it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:17am
Buying one today!
Thanks guys!
Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:18am
Over run clutch that is
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:09am
What Jgranat said. On both counts. Good decision, Hunt4. Clap

Maybe we should put together a list of the top 10 (or whatever) things we can do to stay safe around these machines......
WC, CA, D14, WD45
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Jgranat Jgranat wrote:

Second, hand clutches are a "run what they brung" deal, direction is a detail.  I operate equipment for a living, often changing between several pieces a day and some controls are different, you have to adapt or else you should go flip burgers, not everyone belongs in the seat. 

Clap Thumbs UpThumbs Up
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:08am
Not to hijack this thread, but a question I have regarding my WD45 and the PTO - but first, I do use the hand clutch when working the tractor; after spending years (decades lol!) on John Deere 70 and 730 it's a natural thing for me. BUT - my question, is there a reason for an over running clutch on a WD45? What I mean is, when I shut off the PTO and I'm running a bush hog, naturally the blades continue to spin, which of course translates to the implement's PTO shaft continuing to spin, ergo tractor PTO is still turning after disengaging PTO. Is there any harm that can be done to the PTO at that point? My thinking is NO, since it would be disengaged and the only parts still being affected by spin would end at the driven gear in the tractor's PTO gearbox. But, when you've had as many documented TBI's as me, sometimes the simplest, most straightforward trail is the most difficult to follow. That's the best way I can explain it. Sorry.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Not to hijack this thread, but a question I have regarding my WD45 and the PTO - but first, I do use the hand clutch when working the tractor; after spending years (decades lol!) on John Deere 70 and 730 it's a natural thing for me. BUT - my question, is there a reason for an over running clutch on a WD45? What I mean is, when I shut off the PTO and I'm running a bush hog, naturally the blades continue to spin, which of course translates to the implement's PTO shaft continuing to spin, ergo tractor PTO is still turning after disengaging PTO. Is there any harm that can be done to the PTO at that point? My thinking is NO, since it would be disengaged and the only parts still being affected by spin would end at the driven gear in the tractor's PTO gearbox. But, when you've had as many documented TBI's as me, sometimes the simplest, most straightforward trail is the most difficult to follow. That's the best way I can explain it. Sorry.

I never ran one, always used the had clutch.  It doesn't hurt to have one, in case somebody panics and shoves the foot clutch in, but it won't hurt anything to use it like you do with the hand clutch.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:38pm
Here's a picture of my CA with the brush hog connected finally today. I did run a couple tests on it and everything seem to be going okay other than at one point I raised the unit up and I could not lower it back down it's almost like the hydraulics got locked up and would not lower but I checked them before I even connected to it, what do you guys think that could cause this?

I don't know if I can change the settings like in the shop manual how it goes step-by-step how to set one of these pumps and maybe mine is just not set right? It seemed to work a few times just like it should and intermittently it gets stuck in the up position and with the handle how it should go down I can stand on the brush hog in bounce and it still won't go down, after I parked it in the barn it took about 15 minutes for it to gradually settle down onto the floor. The main problem with this is I need it to be sitting on the ground while I'm brush hogging to eliminate my front end from popping up because of the weight going up little hills and stuff I've popped a couple of wheelies and that's not good feeling when it happens with not being able to lower it onto the ground to control this...

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 13 Jul 2019 at 7:10am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:24am
Also wondering if I can use a solid square stock for a top link?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:19am
I just replaced all the hydraulic fluid so I doubt it's dirt...
It seems to be an intermittent problem as it will work for the first few lifts and drops minute once it goes up it will not go back down with handle actuated for down position and even me standing on the brush hog?
Any thoughts fellas what could cause it?
(I was looking through the shop manual and it tells you how to set up the pump operations by tightening and loosening the screws and I'm wondering if I need to do that now that I have something hooked up to it?)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:28pm
No ideas fellas?
UncleRuckus717 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRuckus717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:23pm
You might try taking the pump off and flushing it out with diesel or mineral spirits to clean it. The pump on my B kinda-sorta worked until I flushed 70 years worth of crap out of the pump. I had the same issue with the implement not lowering every time. What type of fluid are you using for the hydraulics? 
1949 Model B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:45pm
Well here's an update whether a CA can run a big brush hog?

The answer is absolutely it can!!!mine did a lot better without having the top link connected so thank you to Dick l for pointing that out to me

I'm so happy with my model CA how well it handled everything I still need to get the hydraulic pump to work so that it can be lowered once it's raised and I'll just go over the field again and recut it the opposite direction once I get that done but my 4-acre field definitely got a haircut today!!!(it's not perfect because the brush hog was in the up position the whole time which probably actually was a good thing because the field was so tall as you can see in the picture is a lot of the weeds and grasses were as tall as my exhaust)
Much appreciated to everyone who gave me information so that I could get this filled cut, thanks Matt
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:21pm
Do you have health/life insurance?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:28pm
Why?
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:16pm
Just guessing--Tim doesn't like the angle which the photo appears to show the brush hog operating at.  The photo could be deceiving but it appears that if that blade catches and throws anything--the operator is in a possible path of said object.  Was told brush hog should be flat to slightly elevated on the back.  In that stuff the CA will probably not have the hp it takes run it flat.  Just a guess?
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:56pm
A guard on the PTO shaft might be a good idea too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:02pm
I know it's supposed to be flat, I walked entire field many times in spring and fall when there's no weeds, and know there isn't anything that I can hit.
My hydraulics pump is stuck in up position, and lastly it would have stalled/ overworked motor if I mowed it in all the way down position ( now I need to adjust pump so hopefully I regain the ability to lower it down after it raises and I can mow it low)
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
Ok. I'll say it and you can tell me to butt out if you want to. You're risking injury or worse with the way you're operating that bush hog. Running it at that angle because the tractor can't handle it level (the way it's supposed to be) is asking for trouble. Way too many guys get bitten by the things that they "know" aren't there or "won't happen".  BTW, do you have an ORC on that bush hog - yet?
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:30pm
The original question has pushed this subject to the extremes.  Those last photos are definitely expecting too much out of a CA.  Granted you can get it through there with less than the best results and if that's what you've got, I guess you go for it.  More than likely if you do too much of it you're going to tear sometime up.  As mentioned, safety should come first and be aware of  the potential risk.  I mow stuff like that including Johnson grass 6 ft high and its makes a WD 45 snort big time cutting it down to 6 or 7 inches high. 2nd is really too fast wide open and 1st is too slow.  Good luck with getting your hydraulics working.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:23am
Yes orc used
And extreme caution
I must have a good one(CA) I bought a few years ago and slowly been fixing up(when I bought it I was told that the motor had just been overhauled in the last couple years)
I believe this to be true because it did not have hardly any problem cutting all this in 3 hours in first gear...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:35am
yeesh, I'm tired just LOOKING at the pictures, poor old CA !! It'd be easier on her to only take 1/2 widths of cut.Yes, it MAY take longer, might not though.
there's a 'sweet spot' of engine RPM, cutter speed and ground speed where everyone's happy, same as blowing snow, where you can actually get more done,in less time.
Also wait 2-3 days to let the 'grass' dry up real good before cutting 2nd ( and 3rd ?) time.
Have fun but be safe !!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:19am
Obviously not many have bush hogged that type of weed growth. I have ground up weeds that high with my C and Woods 59 under the belly. It is not like a bunch of grass that is not brittle like hollow weed stocks. Running high in the front cuts off the tops first with the front and cuts lower at the back which keeps it from bogging down some in the course weed stocks. It would be nice to be lower in the front but if it is not tossing stuff above the PTO I wouldn't worry about it. If it is tossing trash that high I would hang a piece of plywood to the fender rails to save my rear stop the seeds from reseeding the field. Then fix the hydraulics.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:46am
Yup, thanks dick
I was amazed how good this cut and how little the CA struggled cutting these goldenrod weeds (I was in a hurry to get them cut before they went to bloom and got full of bees and me stung all over trying to cut this field)
I had fun using the hand clutch and it worked flawlessly!
It was a 95 degree day but luckily a nice breeze and cloudy and before a bunch of thunderstorms came and got everything wet so it worked out perfectly...

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 20 Jul 2019 at 10:47am
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Yup, It was a 95 degree day but luckily a nice breeze and cloudy and before a bunch of thunderstorms came and got everything wet so it worked out perfectly...

What you can do with a little ingenuity and common sense. I could have used my B and got that job done with that mower without the sky falling on us! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
Yes, I understand it wasn't the best senario to use it up like that but I started out in the field where it was not as tall of grass/ weeds to test it out and make sure it wasn't going to throw anything up at me and once I got started it was a blast using/ putting a 1953 to work ( like they were built to do!!!)
It's not completely fixed up yet, it's getting a wide front end/ radiator empty/ clean out, trip loader bucket and then I can really get some use out of it 🤑and save some cash that I always spend every year to have someone come clean out the leftover hay from behind the barn from the cows in the winter!
(It's been a long slow process but I'm making progress and am extremely happy with my little CA so far that I bought for four hundred bucks in the condition that it's in right now which was a steal now that I've used it end seeing how strong the motor is and that everything is in working order...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic