This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca run a brush hog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:54pm
I use a woods c-80 3-point hitch model on a wd and it kills it dead as soon as you hit 4 foot horse weeds. Thin or short stuff is o.k., half swath or less in giant stuff works, just extreemly slow but gets the job done ---- Hand clutch works, but I never use it because hand clutches are not user friendly.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:03pm
Thanks, Dick - just what I needed to know.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:39pm

Dave
[/QUOTE]

The CA first gear is to fast in tall thick grass.[/QUOTE]

If the tractor can't handle the thick grass, I cut it higher and cut it twice(lower the second time) or take 1/2 of a cut. 
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:46pm
How in the world are hand clutches not user friendly? They are perfect for easing your way into heavy work while allowing the PTO to remain at optimal speed. Right up there with shirt pockets and sliced bread in the importance of things.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:48pm
I cut down a good sized field for my neighbor with my 5020.  The weeds were hood tall.  Ran right along cutting it down, but I did need to stop 3 or 4 times to flush out the radiator of all the debris.  Even the cover screen couldn't keep it out!  I really liked that field, 4 to 5 acres and not one rock!!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:50pm
How does a 5020 compare in hp to my 53' CA?( I'm not familiar with it?)
I'm going to give this a try once I empty and refill my hydro/ rear oil since it's milky looking- previous owner left tractor sit out with no lid on oil fill neck area...
Think I'll try dick l's trick
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 4:54am
[QUOTE=Hunt4Allis]How does a 5020 compare in hp to my 53' CA?( I'm not familiar with it?)/QUOTE]

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:34am
What I knw about grass/weed cutting
1) be sure blades are SHARP
2) cut in late afternoon,when they're DRY
3) cut 'high' 1st day, cut 'low' 3 days later
4) I'm allergic to grass ( as well as trees,dust,pollen and kitycats( cep Cloudy))

I can easily cut 4' high rye( sure is pretty now..) with my rider

Edited by jaybmiller - 02 Jul 2019 at 5:36am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:40am
I have an over run clutch I bought when I had Grand sons using it with a rotary cutter. One of them got pushed into a fence. I never use one myself. Growing up before they for sale I learned to jab the clutch and pop the gear shift at the same time on combines and corn pickers. I jab the clutch and pop the power take off lever on the rotary cutter the same way. When you hit the foot clutch it removes the pressure off the gears if you pop the lever at the same time. If you think a rotary cutter pushes a tractor try a combine. Ours did have a toothed slip clutch that sounded like something was flying apart rather than push the tractor. That brought out a yell of what the H E double tooth pick are you doing.

Edited by Dick L - 02 Jul 2019 at 5:41am
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

I jab the clutch and pop the power take off lever on the rotary cutter the same way. When you hit the foot clutch it removes the pressure off the gears if you pop the lever at the same time.  

I do this most of the time on my B with the 6ft. mower when I want to stop. If I don't have to stop in a hurry I will retard the throttle to release the pressure on the gears to take the pto out of gear.
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:49am
My Dad used a 5 ft. MF pull behind mower on his CA for decades. It was a heavy duty mower with a "stump jumper" blade mount that really could cut brush. The big disadvantage was maneuvering in that you couldn't make sharp turns and backing the mower with it's short drawbar was difficult. Eventually the tractor PTO shaft sheared off due to the stress of cutting when turning (was repairable).
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 11:32am
The ONLY hand clutches that work are on the John Deere 730 tractors.---On them you PUSH to go NOT pull like ac.---The pull action forces the clutch lever in at a overly fast rate and you end up jumping the front end off the ground! --- There is no way to use the backwards things on the allis tractors. ---One of mine dont even have a handle, someone else got tired of it and locked it engaged, and removed the handle.
IF allis would have made them like Deere, (push to go), they would be fine.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:23am
Ok thanks guys
Sounds like it will work depending on the operator 😉
T.J._N.J. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J._N.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:04am
I run a light duty Howse 5 footer on a C with a work saver 3 point, it carries it fine and is a pretty good match. The tractor will pick it up but it gets light in the front end, the CA with its rear set axle and bigger hydraulics should be just fine even with the hand clutch get an over running coupler it will protect your pto & you. I am in the middle of fixing up an old Woods tow behind 5 footer, but they are a lot more expensive around here than a 3 point unless you find a project like I did. TJ  
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:07am
One thing about not using the third link is you can cut higher from the ground in tall weeds or grass. Then go back and cut lower a week or so later after the taller tops has dried and will grind up easier.
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:20am
I just finished a few acres cutting with a 5' tow behind King Kutter in very hilly ground. I mostly use 2nd gear with the throttle about 3/4th open. The vegetation was thick, wet and about 4' tall.  I am totally confident in the CA's ability to finish mow and have never had a problem using the hand clutch and find first gear more than slow enough if the going gets tough.  

1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:33am
The only thing I have against brush/bush hogs or any mower behind the tractor is the fact that wherever the tractor tires crush down the weeds, especially milkweed and wild parsnips (or giant hogweed as well), the mower can't cut them and they pop back up. Even subsequent mowing won't do much to cut them once that happens. A sickle bar, or even an offset flail mower generally do better. Any suggestions for remedying that? In the woods and other such areas I can only use my tow behind, obviously, but then again those type weeds aren't generally to be found there.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Cernunnos Cernunnos wrote:

I just finished a few acres cutting with a 5' tow behind King Kutter in very hilly ground. I mostly use 2nd gear with the throttle about 3/4th open. The vegetation was thick, wet and about 4' tall.  I am totally confident in the CA's ability to finish mow and have never had a problem using the hand clutch and find first gear more than slow enough if the going gets tough.  

Thanks for the optimism oh, it's hard to find sometimes when you ask a question sometimes it seems like everyone wants to give you the negatives instead of possibly letting you know that it's able to do it.
I do notice that you have a wide front end on yours which add some weight and you have weights at the front which mine does not (I do have a wide front end I'm going to put on the front of it and also a front loader so it should be balanced better and not lift the front off the ground
T.J._N.J. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J._N.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:43am
Hey Dick, I always heard around my area to hook up the top link because supposedly if you caught a stump or something else solid that the implement would lever up in the rear and pin you to the steering wheel. I could see it maybe happening with a small 3 point disc more than a mower, but you would probably have to be flying for it to happen. I'm pretty sure the hitch would break or the tractor would stall first but I usually put mine on very loosely since that seed of doubt was planted in the back of my mind. TJ
T.J._N.J. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J._N.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
I personally think the tractor is in more danger of rearing up than the implement but I don't typically move fast enough to lose much sleep over it, or even rolling it over on a slope would be far more likely if you were being careless. TJ
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:30am
Okay we do have a couple small slightly sloping hills here in Northeast Ohio but nothing steep. Is it generally better to mow with this type of brush hog with ACA going downhill or uphill then? I would think it would be better going downhill to keep the front end from lifting up especially if I use it as a trailer type brush hog and do not connect the top link?
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Ok thanks guys

Operator is always the keyWink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:42am
Correct me if I'm wrong here guy's butt with the minimal amount of brush hog work I need to do when I go to stop or make it turn can't I just throttle down to eliminate the inertia in the brush hog blades so it does not push me around?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:55am

Correct me if I'm wrong here guy's butt with the minimal amount of brush hog work I need to do when I go to stop or make it turn can't I just throttle down to eliminate the inertia in the brush hog blades so it does not push me around?

Most times that might work OK but if you need to stop RIGHT NOW as in a stump in the way or a fence then having an over riding unit on the PTO is just the thing.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:57am
New overrunning clutches on Amazon for < $100. Cheap insurance against wrecking a tractor or worse.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Ok thanks guys

Operator is always the keyWink

X3

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:33am
Okay I see them now they are just a direct in line mechanical type clutch correct? My next question is what size spline hookup is a model CA pto?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 9:11am
Ca has the standard 1 3/8 6 spline shaft. If you add an over-running clutch, make sure the PTO shaft of you implement will collapse far enough. Remember you are adding to the length by adding the clutch, and pull type implements are set up to the standard of 14 inches from the end of the tractor shaft, to the center of the drawbar hole.
 If you drive thru a dip, and the implement is facing downhill while the tractor faces up hill, you can break something if the shaft wont collapse far enough.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:26am
Wow! Awesome information, thanks much!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Ca has the standard 1 3/8 6 spline shaft. If you add an over-running clutch, make sure the PTO shaft of you implement will collapse far enough. Remember you are adding to the length by adding the clutch, and pull type implements are set up to the standard of 14 inches from the end of the tractor shaft, to the center of the drawbar hole.
 If you drive thru a dip, and the implement is facing downhill while the tractor faces up hill, you can break something if the shaft wont collapse far enough.

My King Kutter Hog has a very wide range for the PTO shaft to work in,don't know if they all are like that or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic