This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca run a brush hog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ca run a brush hog?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:18am
Hi all, I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with running a rear mounted brush hog on a model CA? Mine is a 1953 model...
Sponsored Links

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:03am
What size bush ?
What are you mowing?
It will run it if used properly.
I pull a 6ft. NI with my B.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 30 Jun 2019 at 3:21pm
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:13am
I think it will run it.  Just depends on how tall weeds and grass you are mowing and how fast you expect to go.  and how wide the hog is

We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:53am
I will have to measure it
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:17pm
I cut with a pull type King Kutter 5ft wide cutter sometimes with my CA does a good job except in real heavy tall grass for just general mowing it does good.I like a pull type much better than a mounted one especially on smaller tractors.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
If the hand clutch has been bolted together make sure you have an over run clutch on the pto. Even if the hand clutch is working I would still use one just for the peace of mind. The CA should handle a medium duty 5 footer unless you get into heavy grass.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
Any pictures/ videos to show me?
OldAC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:50pm
Used to run a 4' pull type brush hog on a 44 B years ago for many many many hours of operation.

I would be hesitant to want to lift a 5' three point brush hog if your CA has a 3 point conversion.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:57pm
Too hard on the pump or make it too rear heavy?

What are the pull behind type look like/ operate?( Pto?)
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:35pm
My brother used to run a 4 ft. one on his B. It was a 3 point. Use an overrun clutch.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:41pm
Mycaa has a hand clutch lever so I'm not sure if I need an overrun clutch?
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm
To mow in the orchard and back swathes we have run an offset, 5 foot PTO driven tow behind type with our CA, no problems. 3pt type is likely going to be heavy enough to make your front end light if not lift off the ground, unless you have the front well weighted.

The ORC will prevent the inertia of the brush cutter, through the PTO, from pushing/driving the tractor when you push the clutch. Accidents have happened where things were run into, tractors went into ditches etc. when that occurred. Using the hand clutch will overcome that problem as long as you remember to pull the lever.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:41pm
Here are photos of a couple PTO driven trailer type rotary cutters/brush hogs. You can see some are set up with a remote cylinder on the mower to lift them some if needed while mowing. The ones with a turnbuckle or screw jack can't be changed without stopping mowing. Most can be changed to cylinders or screw jacks depending on what people want.

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Mycaa has a hand clutch lever so I'm not sure if I need an overrun clutch?

Tow behind has it's own wheels, a hydraulic cylinder on the bush hog can be used to raise or lower it. A mounted bush hog would probably be to heavy on a CA, too much weight on the back, up in the air. The hydraulics will handle it fine, but may make the tractor unstable. I had a bush hog on a 9N long time ago, go up a little grade with the deck lifted and the front wheels would come up. at the least, you would need some weight on the front.
Also, if you are unfamiliar with using a bush hog, be sure to use the hand clutch when stopping!! It will scare the bejeepers out of you if you don't, at the least!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:13pm
Ok, thanks all for the great info as always!

Now I'm on the search for a used one for a reasonable price near ne Ohio?
Anyone?
Thanks Matt
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:01pm
I grew up on a D10 with a 5'AC bushhog.
It would cut two rows of tobacco stalks off at the ground in 3rd gear but when you raised the lift you were never sure if the bushhog or the front end was going to come up. You learn to deal with it. CA has about the same power as the D10.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:05pm
I pull a 3 point 5' with my 5020.  Seems to handle it well.  I think the CA is a little more tractor than the 5020 so I don't see a problem.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:05pm
Hmmm, same power?
Not same weight distribution though right?
I thought those were much heavier tractors than a CA?( Heavier front end?)
I do have a wide front end that I plan on putting on and swapping out my narrow front which should add a little bit of weight to the front but I think with everything I've heard on here that the way to go is 2 find a trailer type that is a pull-behind with a hydraulic cylinder 2 adjust height of mowing slightly if I can find one in decent shape that somebody will part with.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:07pm
Okay any pictures of that 50 20 with the brush hog mountain to it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:23pm
I also have brand new working spin-out rims on my CA so I can adjust the rear wheels all the way out and make it more stable if I do end up buying the regular 3-point brush hog to run on this along with the wide front end that weighs more and I can also add weights to the front then, this 3 point brush hog that I have a chance to buy is from a friend that's a farmer end he doesn't use it much so I could probably try it all out and see how it works without even paying him unless I'm happy with it
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:45pm
I used a 6ft finish mower on my CA 3pt. You need to add an unreasonable amount of front wieght to steer. With out wieght on very flat ground it was ok on any incline it would pivot up hill even with almost full brake. The loader on the front would keep the front down but when the mower was down its of course hard to steer. I ran it with the top link removed and the three point down.then left the loader off. Power was not a problem control however was.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:58pm
Not all are created equal. The weight of the same size (diameter of cut) brush hog can vary quite a lot from a light duty one for mowing mainly grass, weeds, and light brush sprouts to a heavy duty one that will actually handle brush and small trees. If you can try a 3PT one first, before buying it, it will be best.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:21am
I have used a rotary five foot behind my 5020's for thirty years. Never hooked up the third link. I have never understood people hooking up the third link. I am cutting hay to feed with a 5020 now with a five foot with the hay as high as the hood. I am using low third. I have the left side of the old Ford cutter cut out to scatter the hay and only cutting half a cut. I opened up the field taking a full cut in low second. That is creeping.   I used it where the yard grass was about a foot high yesterday taking a full five foot cut in high third. It all depends on what you define as handling it. Most likely kill the hand clutch on a CA in much over a foot high grass.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:03am
I use a 5 foot Bush Hog ‘Squealer’ on my 5030. Handles it really well, although the front end is really light when the mower is lifted. And the 5030 has some really slow gears that helps in heavy going.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:10am
I have pulled a 5' and a 5' 3ph with my CA with no problem.  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:16am
DICK has the plan... done this many times.... Use a 3 point mower if that's available, and don't connect the top link... it acts as a trailer mower.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Most likely kill the hand clutch on a CA in much over a foot high grass.

I've also been thinking about getting a bush hog - could mow with D-14, WD45 or CA. Curious about Dick L's comment that mowing in tall grass would kill the CA hand clutch. Not disagreeing, just would like to understand. Thanks.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:15pm
Using it too often; not a wet clutch. ...I think...
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Okay any pictures of that 50 20 with the brush hog mountain to it?

No pics but I am planning on using it soon so I'll try to get some.  I really like the way it climbs over bushes.  Tractor runs up on the bush, then I raise the mower then the tractor will go a little further, raise and repeat.  It's great for clearing brush around a tree that is getting cut down.  Thats what I'll be using it for when I put it on.

You don't need to spin out your rears and for that matter you don't need a wide front.  You just have to be careful.  I know a guy that flipped a Ford N tractor, and they sit very low.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Most likely kill the hand clutch on a CA in much over a foot high grass.

I've also been thinking about getting a bush hog - could mow with D-14, WD45 or CA. Curious about Dick L's comment that mowing in tall grass would kill the CA hand clutch. Not disagreeing, just would like to understand. Thanks.

Dave

The CA first gear is to fast in tall thick grass as it is with a roto tiller. The 5020's low range's can get slow enough that a toddler can out run it on its hands and knees. That would mean it would need to slip the hand clutch to keep from killing the tractor engine and clutch facings will only take so much slipping until one side of the facing finds the rivets on the other sides facing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic