This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bird Feeder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Feeder
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:23pm
I got a couple big feeders in the front yard. Normally have 20 sparrows / swallows , a couple blue jays and a couple cardinals every morning and late afternoon..

For the past week i have a dozen cardinals in addition to the above.. Dont know why there are so many and why now ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:36pm
I have about 8 feeders between back and front yards , go through 20 pounds or more feed now a week . From black oil sunflower seeds to mixed seed , have couple wire feeders with cracked corn and squirrels seems to hit them . 
 Also 5 feeders with suit blocks and get woodpeckers and Blue jays on them regular. Have some small black and gray birds that only ground feed so scatter some seed for them but they clean up under feeders when other birds seem to get selective on what the throw out. 
 Now in the field out front I had 3 or 4 bald eagles coming regularly and setting in field or a large maple tree in front yard . Walked out there and found a deer carcass half eaten - must have got hit by car and made it into field to die . 
 Had to watch the dog as it's about the right size for a snack for the eagles so keep tabs on it when it's out. Have not seen many hawks of late but just after corn was taken off the field they were circling regularly and getting small varmints and rabbits   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm
Have one feeder out on front.....and for past few days, about 20 to 30 birds at all times. Chickadees, titmouse (mice?), various sparrows, junko's, jays, woodpeckers and about a dozen cardinals. All taking turns at the feeder, with a big puddle on ground below. Plain old BOSS. Doves like the cheap mixed stuff, but I don't have any.

Have to hang the feeder up inside a dense bushy tree.....in this case a crab apple.....else the Sharp Shined hawks or Cooper's hawks will make a run at em.

This morning, about a dozen robin's showed up. Boy is their timing off.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:12pm
Robins!? Well your south of us so maybe can see it. Better let em know to hang out there a while. Way too cold and snow for them to be thinkin bout coming this way
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:22pm
Have two big feeders, reload every four to five days, two smaller feeders the little birds like, refill every couple weeks and two suet cake dispensers, every Three days all gone!!

Cardinals, Sparrows, what we call Snowbirds, Jays and a few odd assorted other songbirds.  Have two Pileated Wood Peckers, they do a Mexican Standoff at one suet feeder daily, have three or four different Downy woodpeckers and a couple Hairy(Downy size with a Red Spot on back of head) woodpeckers.  Happy little monsters.

Has been a Bald Eagle on occasion when the carcass is not frozen solid on the Coyote I dropped last year.  Been cold enough has not decayed all too fast.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm
Big increase in cardinal and blur jay visits lately just east of Springfield IL here.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:58pm
thats what i am seeing also Dave.....cardinals and blue jays increase..

I buy a 50 pound bag of cracked corn.. lasts about a month.. $8. takes you all the way !
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:41am

Well,,,in this high desert country,,we don't get any of the beautiful colored birds,,maybe a robin or two every so often. We get a lot of Humming birds so I keep two feeders out but they be back maybe another month,,,,Wink
 Funniest thing,,,bout 7-8 years ago we started seeing  some "wild" parakeets,,they'd be either all green or all yellow would come around and then not see em for a month then here they are,,,!! I put some seed out but they just come and go,,haven't seen em yet this year,,,,,,Wink
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:32pm
We got through about 100 lbs of sunflowers and 50 lbls of mixed bird feed a month, I filled them everyday. we have counted 30 cardnials and a big bunch of sparrows and a mixture of other birds.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:16pm
DANG Tom.... you got a real Business there !! Wink
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:08pm
We've got a pair of Bald Eagles that keep landing in the field by the house and picking up loose grass from my Fall mowing. They're clearly nest building to my South/ Southwest and near the lake that borders us. Going to try and track down the nest. Eagles nest are huge and would love to get up close and underneath.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:53pm
Have an acreage next to a federal water control project. 1000 acre lake and a lot of trees'
When I started feeding birds, I had 36 male cardinals not counting females. but the squirrels , black birds and grackles  and coons ate a lot. Then I found out that Cardinals liked safflower seeds and squirrels, blackbirds, and grackles did not like that seed. and I can get it at the local elevator in a 50 lb bag for $ 28 - $33 which is about 1/3 of what sunflower seeds cost.  There are a lot more houses here now , and more people feeding them. We have 2-3 bluebirds 12 cardinals, nuthatches , orioles ( eat grape jelly) Flickers, several kinds of woodpeckers, several kinds of other small birds. Kids love to feed them. When there is snow in the forecast , we can get a dozen more male cardinals.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:24pm
We have a half dozen feral cats.  I wonder if it may be cheaper buying bird food and letting the cats fend for themselves.  Wife said she saw one of the cats sitting on top of a bluebird house the other day.  That'll make me happy when them darned sparrows try to move in come spring time!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:11am

Have lots of different kinds of woodpeckers at suit feeders yesterday for first time had a   Pileated woodpecker was about the size of a crow.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 3:10pm
  We had a pileated a couple years ago but it hasn't been back sure was fun to watch it fly in to eat suet. They must have run out of shelled peanuts the local elevator said they can't get anymore. We always bought them for the Bluejays
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
Trying out some dried meal worms in our feeder today . Bluebirds seem to like them .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:31pm

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:36pm

Hey Steve,,,that right there is an almost perfectly choreographed setting for a Norman Rockwell postcard picture,,,,,,maybe if you'da been a tad closer,,,,,,ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Joe, its 7 degrees outside... IM 75 ft away with a zoom lense, STANDING IN THE HOUSE where its warm !  Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 4:15am

Aw,,I was just teasing you, Steve,,,,,WinkWink That still is a great timing picture with the two cardinals and the four others staged around them. I have no idea what the four are,,,they look like the Quail around here with the tufted heads,,,,??
  "A cold wintry day,waiting on the morning fog to clear, and the groceries to be delivered"
   ClapClap
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 4:43am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Aw,,I was just teasing you, Steve,,,,,WinkWink That still is a great timing picture with the two cardinals and the four others staged around them. I have no idea what the four are,,,they look like the Quail around here with the tufted heads,,,,??
  "A cold wintry day,waiting on the morning fog to clear, and the groceries to be delivered"
   ClapClap

The other four are female Cardinals.Beer
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 6:41am
About 10 years ago Grandson trapped a coon and a possum and put them out in the field after skinning them. Day later He said "Look at that huge hawk eating that coon" I told him it was an immature bald eagle, he didn't believe me till a mature one showed up minutes later. He drug every dead thing he could find, including chickens, here so we could watch the eagles. Fast forward  10 years and now I wish they would live somewhere else. A deer got hit on a farm next door and there were 5 of them on the carcass at once. They have aquired a taste for chickens and guineas and have about cleaned out mine and 2 other neighbors. The only ones left stay in the barnyard or next to the house . Too many of them and red tails now,  even the barn cats are dwindling, don't get me wrong I still enjoy seeing them just not being over run with them...Harvey 
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:35am
Steve, what are you feeding that brings those cardinals in like your pic shows?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:49am
all ever use is cracked corn... I get a 50 pound bag at Menards for $8.  been doing this for 10 years.. Use to be barn swallows and sparrows.. Last 5 years we have picked up 4-5 blue jays, a few wood peckers, and 3-4 cardinals........ This year about a dozen cardinals showed up starting with the snow last week. I have had to double the amount i put out to feed... was 2# per day, now about 4#.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Steve, what are you feeding that brings those cardinals in like your pic shows?
Black oil sunflower seed is what the birds like the best here. They eat it first, had my own cracked corn and they would not eat the corn. 20$ for a fifty lb. bag.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 11 Feb 2021 at 9:12am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 9:30am
I get the bird seed by the 50lb gag (econo).  Has lots of cracked corn.

I found suet blocks on sale a while back and the wood peckers are going nuts over it.  I get three kinds of wood peckers in, but piliated are not around here.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

We have a half dozen feral cats.  I wonder if it may be cheaper buying bird food and letting the cats fend for themselves.  Wife said she saw one of the cats sitting on top of a bluebird house the other day.  That'll make me happy when them darned sparrows try to move in come spring time!

Are you serious Mr, lusty ???????  Since feral cats arent native to the US they do huge amounts of damage to song birds and other wild life.

They dont last long in my neighbor hood, for that matter most of the county.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
Im not much of a bird expert, and my camera leaves a lot to be desired.. I can figure out cardinals, blue jays and wood peckers.... 75% of the birds are what i have been calling "sparrows and barn swallows".... probably not quite correct.. You can see a couple in the photo below that looks similar to swallows.. split tail and a blueish top and white belly.. to the sides are what i call sparrows ( spotted brown)

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
this little guy prefers to push his luck and eat cat food.

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Those little dark guys with the white belly are "Junco's".  Lots of them around here at the bird feeder.  Sometimes called "Snowbirds" here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic