This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:07pm
Now I've heard it all. .300 shorter valves and springs so stiff it takes an extra 5hp to operate the valve train. You got the part # for those valves?

Edited by Rod B - 10 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm
Sponsored Links

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Cyberspace is getting filled up with crap!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Now I've heard it all. .300 shorter valves and springs so stiff it takes an extra 5hp to operate the valve train. You got the part # for those valves?
yeap standard sbc  you want manley or ferra . the valves pretty well fix the factory rocker arm geometry issues . not to mention .300 less mass to make up a extra 10 hp for the 5 as you say lost .
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:51pm
Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by arcticcat arcticcat wrote:

Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here
becareful name calling will get you gone. so barney taylors valves spring recomendations are no good .

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 8:56pm
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

becareful name calling will get you gone. so barney taylors valves spring recomendations are no good .

No it won't, it hasn't yet. 

If anything deliberately making an off topic post (Smack Talk) in a specific section of a forum aimed at pulling to do nothing more than stir the pot should get you kicked off the forum. 

You're a waste of bandwidth. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

[QUOTE=arcticcat]Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here

If anything deliberately making an off topic post (Smack Talk) in a specific section of a forum aimed at pulling to do nothing more than stir the pot should get you kicked off the forum. 

[/QUOTEif i was you and had no mechanical input to the forum I wouldnt push it much.
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm

[QUOTE=arcticcat]Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here

[/QUOTEif i was you and had no mechanical input to the forum I wouldnt push it much.

Are you trying to play moderator now Spankey? 

Go cry a river somewhere else. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:13pm

Are you trying to play moderator now Spankey? 

Go cry a river somewhere else. 
nope just take him at his word
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:14pm
You're lack of experience and knowledge is really showing here. You say to use .300 shorter sbc valves.

Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025 long. Shorten them .300 and you can't install the spring. If Installed spring height to 1.8 you'd be cutting through the top of the head. You're Comp spring 944 is 1.570 diameter with a spring rate of 753 pounds per inch. At 1.8 installed height it's at 302 pounds on the seat, after .600 of lift it's at 754 pounds. But you've got even shorter valves. It don't fit.

The 920 spring will work out, barely.

Why use such large diameter springs anyway? They add weight to the spring and rob power.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

You're lack of experience and knowledge is really showing here. You say to use .300 shorter sbc valves.

Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025 long. Shorten them .300 and you can't install the spring. If Installed spring height to 1.8 you'd be cutting through the top of the head. You're Comp spring 944 is 1.570 diameter with a spring rate of 753 pounds per inch. At 1.8 installed height it's at 302 pounds on the seat, after .600 of lift it's at 754 pounds. But you've got even shorter valves. It don't fit.

The 920 spring will work out, barely.

Why use such large diameter springs anyway? They add weight to the spring and rob power.
you dont follow well if you read the heavier valve sprin topic you will find that i only use and only say to use the outer spring but i do see you read it to find the pressures that it has in my post using it as a double spring like sold. Your lack of  knowledge is showing the sbc valves are the length you posted and that is .300 shorter than the factory allis valves that are the same length as a bbc valve if i remember correctly offcoarse you wouldnt know that cause you havent ever been into a 226 engine to even know that the exhaust spring seats down into a macined recess thats not machined around the intake guides

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 9:26pm
AC Billy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

Iffin I were you, you got a WD, pull that. Have fun with it. rake hay with it.That is the pure essence of pulling , not building big cube engines, later, if you get addicted to pulling and win the lottery, then the skies the limit......

That's the route I want to go Gary...
and just have some fun with my WD.
Don't think there is any places that pull the hot
rod antique tractors around close me
anyway.
I think a person has to "glean" all information
given on the Internet. ... And or elsewhere. But
those who " show their work" and show
"the results" in the quest for more power , get the most
respect.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:27pm
Bbc valves are 5.422 long. That's more than .300 more than 4.910.

You really don't follow yourself well and have no basic math skills. Better go edit your posts as no where do uou say to remove the inner spring. Why buy a $350 set of springs anyway?

Edited by Rod B - 10 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
rod exhuast valve is ferra ferf1134p-1  the intakes are manley i still have 4 on shelve can get part number 2morrow when i am in the shop . spring weight is static not near as much power robing as a heavy valve . Intake valve is 96 grams that i use.

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:42pm
why buy the springs they are readily availlable in shop cause i use them on so many race engines we do. sbc valve .100 long if you run the part number ps they are 36.00 a piece that really doent say much for your knowledge i tell you it 300 shorter than factory and you cant figure out without me telling you its a sbc. 100 longer than stock

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 9:48pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
A few minutes ago they were .300 shorter sbc valves, then .300 shorter bbc valves, stovk valves and now .100 long sbc valves.

You really have no idea
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:50pm

Coming from the guy who thinks a combine engine is junk. I love mine, won me plenty of trophies...
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:51pm
No they were sbc valve 300 shorter than factory allis wich means they are a 100 longer than stock sbc. Man i didnt realise you needed me to draw you picture. Righty tighty lefty loosey.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm
5.161 is allis valve length. .300 shorter would be 4.861. Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025. That's not .300 unless useing pankey math. Buy yourself a better tape measure.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:45am
Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

Edited by mlpankey - 11 Mar 2013 at 5:46am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 6:17am

Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

Again the allis valve is 5.161 long. Bbc is 5.350 and 5.422. And useing used valve springs is a no-ny. Springs take a set and useing used ones in a different motion can cause failure. Skimping on critical parts by useing used valve springs and soft connecting rods is a sure way to end up following internet forums and not leading them. Your lack of knowledge is showing more and more.

Edited by Rod B - 11 Mar 2013 at 6:20am
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:12am
The pissing and moaning on this forum amazes me. If you have to try that hard to prove you know what you think you know but have no physical proof, you probably are blowing smoke.....we're all tired of it. Us pullers don't want to lose this forum because of a select few. Knock it off....play nice or find somewhere else for your pissing contest.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by michaelwis michaelwis wrote:

Antique class
What would be our best bet
on the track and off
Son is thinkin D17
What are your thoughts

I'm curious what this question has to do with valve springs and valve length?  Why there's 2 pages of crap about it and why I'm makeing so much money selling pulling parts that I can support a 3 charger alky LSS tractor on the $10 made here and the $40 lost there selling a few parts and doing a little shop work for a few here?  I must be selling more parts than I know about.....though I do have to file a W-2 form for all my winnings through NTPA and WTPA. 

Anyway if you're thinking of the antique class, better check the year because a lot of times a D-17 is going to be to new.  It's also heavy.  I don't know what weight classes you have in your area, but you may be better off with a WC, WD or a WD-45 as they are going to be older and lighter. 

I fixed up a decent WD-45 with a wide front for those reasons, I can get it under 4000 pounds easy, it's old enough for the classic classes at some events.  I built a little bit of an engine for it and still use it to run an auger, pull a few wagons around or it's got lots of ground clearance now with 38" tires on back should a guy want to pull a fertalizer spreader down the rows or pull a hay rake if one of the "real" tractors is unavailable. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm
I am sticking a Gleaner motor in my wd45. Its still a workhorse around the farm. I plan on hitting a few pulls with it. Don't expect to win. Just have a good time with some good people. 
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
True about the D17, has to be '59 or older for most classes. Also a lot of pulls won't allow you to below shipping weight.
I do enjoy pulling my D17 even if I don't win. I pull "stock" classes but most other tractors are not stock.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:01pm
I'm sorry that I had to wade through all this baloney to give you my oppinion on your original question. When faced with the same question, I decided to build a "styled" 1938 WC. Some places offer antique classes for tractors older than 1939. A-C built both "styled" & "ustyled" WCs in 1938. I like the later version with an electric starter. If the every day use has a high priority to you then build a WD, WD45 or early D17 made before 1959...but in my humble oppinion a WC of any type offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to antique/classic A-C pulling tractors. Good luck! Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:29pm
WC's have many pros and a few cons...cheap purchase price is great. With hundreds of thousands built but being not much more than a horse with tires (no hydraulics, has hand brakes, no live pto) they have little popularity with working hobby farmers so they're cheap. Another pro is as far as engines go you can swap in a d17 WD45 or Gleaner E engine for quick power or build off the solid platform of a 201. They can be made super light....3500# is easy but 3000# can happen. I pull 3500-4500 with my 45 WC and for bone stock other than a dry aircleaner setup, a new governor. spring because my old one stretched and open exhaust its fairly cometitive. Biggest downfall is gearing. They're geared high but an RC rear can fix that
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 4:55pm
i tried to give Michael my opinion but this thread blew up like i said i pull a wc that's all i use it for if i need a tractor to pull and work i would use a 17 or a WD45  that's my opinion 
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm
Just to be clear , the local association wants , stock tractors , dont know how srict they are Thumbs Up
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:16pm
Find out NOW before you get your you know what caught in the wringer! ( I vote WC)
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic