This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK
    Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:35am
Antique class
What would be our best bet
on the track and off
Son is thinkin D17
What are your thoughts
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Sponsored Links

patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:39pm
I pull a wc with a E gleaner engine  lots of parts around my neck of the woods the 17 would be better off the track 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:43pm
well most of the guys on here do molines cause all they have to do is transplant a 800 cubic inch engine in them and move the cam gear to the 200 hp mark thats on it. next would be the 450 international cause you can transplant the red diamond in it . allis chalmers requires engine building thats why i like them
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:46pm
good job mitch,half the fun in pulling is building your tractor!
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm
and another post spammed by panky. Get him out of here.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Glockhead SWMI Glockhead SWMI wrote:

and another post spammed by panky. Get him out of here.
i just search your posts by name went through four pages the spammer is you . You speak nothing about pulling anything but a bucket of molases from a tree. he seams to be really knowledgeable in molases
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Patrickmull why do you have a combine motor in a wc.    Junk
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:02pm
You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm
You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday wc allis is the o.ly way to go
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by arcticcat arcticcat wrote:

You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday
you need to get some fresh air youve been in the paint room to long if you think the d17 blocks junk

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Should  have been clear  , has to be an AC  tractor
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:11pm
it is a D17 engine it has a better crank 4.5 in. stock stroke a better head  and better oil system just better engine to start out with  i added stroke- bore -cam and a few other things then went pulling 

Edited by patrickmull - 10 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by patrickmull patrickmull wrote:

it is a D17 engine it has a better crank 4.5 in. stock stroke a better head  and better oil system just better engine to start out with  i added stroke- bore -cam and a few other things then went pulling 
yes i knew the combine block and d17 blocks were the same with the exception of the fuel pump . It is alot better block than the 201 block
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:27pm
I was answering arcticat's post not your's
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:47pm
i think that if you put a combine motor in a allis wc you are defeating the purpose of tractor pulling  my opinion you are just looking for CHEAP horsepower because you cant afford to build a good motor for pulling and also alot of the clubs will not let you pull if you have a combine motor weather it is an allis john deere moline oliver or whatever kind of a tractor it is also a combine motor has higher rpms and alot of the clubs only allow you to have only 10% over stock    good luck to you when you start pulling 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:52pm
I am  not sure , but i thought the Antique pullers in SW Wis were pretty srict on making sure things were stock , and why cheat , our old AC dealer back in the late  60,s put a 3000 pound weight under the rear end of a D17 , AND DID REAL well if i recall , i was 12 or so , i dont even know what class a D17 WOULD PULL in w o any weight
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:54pm
I have been pulling an WC since 1990 with this setup with no problem i pull local most in USAP and some NATPA i didn't just start last night !! we pull a speed limit that fixes your rpm problem 

Edited by patrickmull - 10 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:13pm
Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when surching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 4:36pm
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:21pm
Can anyone banned panky he does not no what he is doing let alone giving advise banned this moron
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:23pm
and the band plays on
arcticcat View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
Yep
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:29pm
I dont know MR Pankey   but i do find the back and forth entertaining
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when searching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore
Talking to Brandon Karpel yesterday he said quote these guys have no idea at the work or expense that goes into keeping a big engine up. He is right. Go for it be the first to beat me to 500 inches in a 226 block thats my goal and I am getting close. anyone up for it

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 4:53pm
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:57pm

Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when searching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore
Talking to Brandon Karpel yesterday he said quote these guys have no idea at the work or expense that goes into keeping a big engine up. He is right. Go for it be the first to beat me to 500 inches in a 226 block thats my goal and I am getting close. anyone up for it

Quoting and talking to himself again, he's lost it... Similar to his pulling endeavors. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

Quoting and talking to himself again, he's lost it... Similar to his pulling endeavors. 
as long as you take the time to read it I know I am still teaching and carrying on the tradition the above men started in the allis antique pullling community
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm
Sounds like a lot of work to be 50 feet behind in the classic 4mph class and 100 feet behind in the outlaw class.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Sounds like a lot of work to be 50 feet behind in the classic 4mph class and 100 feet behind in the outlaw class.
it is thats why you set in the bleachers
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:07pm

Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

it is thats why you set in the bleachers

...And it's where you SHOULD be sitting. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:12pm
micheal if you notice . Rod, Illinoisnazi ,atriccat have nothing for you and your question . Like I posted and give credit to the guys whom I listen to and those three along with marty and butch arent the ones . Marty doesnt even post part numbers why he wants to support his pulling and farming from selling the same stuff he has read to use to you from my posts .

Edited by mlpankey - 10 Mar 2013 at 5:13pm
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:56pm
 Iffin I were you, you got a WD, pull that. Have fun with it. rake hay with it.That is the pure essence of pulling , not building big cube engines, later, if you get addicted to pulling and win the lottery, then the skies the limit......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic