This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Hydraulic Cylinder on Shredder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Hydraulic Cylinder on Shredder
    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:37pm
I have an Allis single action hydraulic cylinder on my Allis shredder.  A nice set up.  However, when I raise the shredder with the cylinder, it shoots hydraulic fluid out of what I suspect is a relief value.  Is this normal?  How can I get it to not do this as it sprays fluid all over the shredder.  Can I just remove the valve and put a plug in the hole?  I have the cylinder hooked up to a D17 IV, does this matter?  Below are some pictures of the cylinder and shredder.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:23pm
Looks to me that is a 2 way/push-pull cylinder be used as a one way, so that is a breather fitting where the second hose would go. The oil that is spraying out is coming from a leak within the cylinder.

Dusty 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:45pm
My thoughts exactly on the problem
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:57pm
So, I should put another hose on there and make it a two way cylinder?  What if I just put a plug in that hole?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:59pm
Actually, the spray is coming out of the "relief valve" not out of the cylinder, unless I'm not reading things correctly.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:04pm
You need a vent on a two way cylinder when using as one way.  The air in the other half of cylinder has to have some where to go.  You could put another hose on it and use as a two way but your cylinder will still have an internal leak.   The brush cutter is light weight so you could get along quite a while like that.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:12pm
Will the shredder settle if you let it sit with the shredder in the raised position?
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:21pm
That is a home made vent. Put a 2nd hose on it and run it as a 2 way cylinder. That is a later AC cylinder made to run on a series 3 or 4 D17. I don't think they made an older high pressure in 2 way design. It they did I've never seen 1 in 70 years of being around AC's.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:02pm
The shredder will settle if I shut the tractor off and let it set for a period of time.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:04pm
About the internal leak, does that mean that there is something inside the cylinder that allows the fluid to spray out of the relief value?  If I put another hose on the cylinder, will there still be a leak ?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
There will still be a leak, but it will be contained in the hydraulic system, and not leaking on your mower. 
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
More than likely, the seals on the piston are leaking, allowing oil to transfer from the bottom end of the cylinder, to the top end, where the shaft is located. Oil seeps past the seals, from the bottom end, cause that's were the pressure is. Once it gets into the top end, and the cylinder is lowered, now you have the piston pressing against the oil at the top end that has seeped by, and is now forced out the breather hole, as liquids can not be compressed, hence the spraying of oil. Personally if it was me, I would re-seal the cylinder, and then add the second hose.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:00pm
If you just plug it, it will stop working or bust something...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:55pm
How do you reseal the cylinder?  where can you get new seals?  Thanks, Dave
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:05pm
Undo the tie bolts to disassemble. The seals con probably be bout at any dealer or even TSC store. Just have to have the old seals to match.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:37pm
Are you referring to the hole the upper hose would go in as the "Relief valve"?  If that is the case you have leaky seals internally.  If there is another port you are referring to can you take a closer picture of it?  A normal cylinder only has two ports, a Gozin, and a Gozout!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:32am
In the first picture, where that screw in plug on the side is, is what I'm referring to as a "relief valve".  The plug has a small cotter key type wire in the middle of it where the fluid sprays out when I use the cylinder to lift the shredder.  I just assumed it was some sort of relief valve, but per the discussion here, that may not be the case.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:10am
The plug with the cotter pin is just another form of a vent. You're given explanation of the leak would support that style of vent. There are more sophisticated plugs with screens in them for a little cleaner operation but with the internal leakage that may soon plug and present the situation mentioned above. If you repair the cylinder I would personally choose to put the screen vent in at that time because the plug style you have now may have more of a tendency to inhale debris. 

Orangereborn
Dale Schafer

964 192nd Ave

New Richmond, WI 54017

715-247-3079

Cell 715-781-2055 Text

Orangereborn@hotmail.com

Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:19am
Thank you Dale.  That makes sense.  I plan to repair the cylinder, as I do like the single action one for this implement and like leaving my double action ones on other equipment rather than moving them around as I use the item.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:27am
There is no "relief valve" That is a vent, needed for one way operation.
 The ONLY way to fix it right, is to take the cylinder apart and put a new piston seal kit in it. Your oil is being pushed past the seal on the piston (#11 below) and once on the other side, HAS to have a place to go when you raise the cylinder.
 If you plug the hole, the cylinder will stop going up when the front side is full of oil.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f1/b0/43/f1b04302263797e42c57ec5b65117600.jpg

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 15 Oct 2019 at 11:28am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Dave (NE) Dave (NE) wrote:

Thank you Dale.  That makes sense.  I plan to repair the cylinder, as I do like the single action one for this implement and like leaving my double action ones on other equipment rather than moving them around as I use the item.
.... That would be my choice also...Additionally, the mower was designed that way because in 1959  that was basically the only AC option...
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

That is a home made vent. Put a 2nd hose on it and run it as a 2 way cylinder. That is a later AC cylinder made to run on a series 3 or 4 D17. I don't think they made an older high pressure in 2 way design. It they did I've never seen 1 in 70 years of being around AC's.

Here is the Allis Chalmers 2 way Hi-Pressure cylinder that I have available. It will be on the trailer at the swap meet this Saturday. 

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
Well, I have the cylinder apart.  The piston seal is not as wide as the slot in the piston.  There appeared to be some sort of paper or cork washer also in the slot next to the seal which is now deteriorated and in pieces so I can't tell exactly what it was.  Is this normal?  Do I just need to replace the seal with a new one and should it be as wide as the slot it goes in?  Thanks, Dave
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:59pm
If you have a hydraulic repair shop near by, take your old parts and the cylinder and go visit them. It is most likely they will be able to match things up and get you the right parts. You should replace all the sealing parts of the cylinder while you have it apart. They will likely have the screened vent also.

Depending on the seals used it is not uncommon for a backup ring of some type to be used in the groove with the seal. Leather was used for seals and backup rings at times. There are some newer sealing options a good shop may have and suggest to you.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
I agree with Jim, what you have is a seal and a backup ring (cork/leather). Different remote cylinders used that, and Ford used that system on their Jubilee tractor (for the 3pt  rockshaft). I don't know about a 2-way cylinder, but on a 1 way cylinder, the seal goes toward the "head" end of the piston, with the backup ring behind it. 

Edited by CrestonM - 20 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:38pm
Boy, don't know how you could stretch a leather or cork backup ring over the end and into the groove, but guess that was done.  I'm planning to take the cylinder in to a hydraulic shop next week and see what they say.  Thanks for all the info and help.  Always a new adventure for me when trying to fix things.  Dave
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
It's not too hard. Just soak it in oil first and lube the piston. Gently work it over, and it won't tear. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 8:39am
Warmed up oil on the gas grill might help. Some pistons are made in 2 pieces so you can slide new seals right on the smaller diameter. I doubt many of these 'farm cylinders were built like that though.
 You will want to replace the wiper and seal on the rod while you have it apart, and check for any rusty areas on the rod. Things need to be clean and smooth, to keep a seal in working condition.
 I have a cylinder much like that one on my JD planter I bought a couple years back. When I got it hooked up and ready to go, I just removed the coupler from the end of the top hose (return pressure) and raised the planter up. That emptied out the oil on the top side of the piston. Then I put the coupler back on and wired the hose up out of the way. It works fine using it one way, because of all the air in the hose and cylinder can compress, and it could potentially draw air in on the down stroke if needed.
 I would replace that plug with a cintered muffler to let it breath, and not contaminate the inside of the cylinder. Cost should be$6 or less for the muffler.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cintered+muffler

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 21 Oct 2019 at 8:41am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:28am
I did as suggested, took the cylinder to a hydraulic shop.  Took a bit to find one.  There were half a dozen seals along with the breather that were replaced.  Didn't realize there were that many, but with it apart had them all replaced.  Was an $80 cost to do all this, but now have the cylinder back together and on the shredder.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:53am
$80 is less than a new cylinder. All the sealing parts were replaced and a proper vent installed as is the correct way to do it. It should go a long time for you now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic