This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 620 60" cut ability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:41am
Did you get you a set of Hi - Lift blades to try out?
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Sponsored Links

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:33am
No. I didn't know what or where to purchase.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:28am
Hi Brian.
This should get you to Stens site with 3 choices of blades for your size of cut. 
tel:800-457-7444
Give them a call to find out where your nearest dealer is. 

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=637179B36C57&SEARCH=Allis%20chalmers%20mower%20blades&GCONTENTID=DBC825CBB3E6&RND=852249787421897

Edited by Jim Hancock - 11 Jun 2015 at 10:34am
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 11:51am
I didn't know if you were referring to me actually so I will answer your question. The tractor had been sitting in my garage for 9 years and needed a starter. Last night I installed a new starter, battery, drained the fuel, checked the Jet, replaced fuel filter and primed it by blowing compressed air into the fuel fill neck till fuel came out of the jet access plug. The thing started right up  no smoke and so quiet compared to the monster single cylinder models Ive been looking at. I had forgot the quiet power that twin briggs had with its large muffler.

Bottom line is the deck I have is the deluxe version and already has high lift blades from MTD. They haven't changed the design So...if I find something that fits from a different manufacturer that looks different I'll try them. Other than that I will get it back together and use it to reset my base line for a while then decide what to do from there. 

I really don't like to replace a piece of equipment until it is either useless or in a state of disrepair past senseless overhaul.  With about 1400 hours on it it has had multiple tie rod ends, one front axle, king pin bushings, steering worm gear and rack(?) gear multiple batteries and one set of belts oil changes and spark plugs once. That is all. The deck has no rust and the blades are sharp from whenever I sharpened them last. I hit nothing at all doing my yard so its an easy job for my machine. I guess there is something to be said for keeping it in a garage on a concrete floor. That's why my deck is in such good shape as well as no rust anywhere in the machine. As sweet as this thing is it will likely reconfirm how slow it is compared to the folks I have been hiring.

I will re evaluate after using it for a few months, turns out I don't have the kind of cash to blow right now like I usually have, slow at the shop. My very good condition machine won't bring but maybe $200 so its not even worth selling.

Good luck all

Edited by Ken P - 11 Jun 2015 at 11:58am
If youre always in control you're not driving fast enough
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 3:37pm
Hi Ken. 
I was answering Brian as he probably didn't see further up where I posted Stens website to chase down the blades for his mower. I think that if he changes blades, it will make a lot of difference. 
From the looks of your deck, I'd say that you've got the clearance there to get the air flow.
What I did was to pull up the deflector on my Craftsman which allows it to really spread out the cut grass. 
I don't doubt that your blades are hi lift as per their specs and say so. 
The blades that I have on my Craftsman of about the same vintage as your mower, '96, I think, have the back edge turned up to about a 40-45* angle to aggressively throw out the cut grass. As a matter of fact, take the paint off of our mowers and they almost look like twins!
I'm not kidding that I really can cut my acreage when it's dry, about an acre an hour or less when it's shaggy and needing it. Obviously, a little linger when it's taller. This is with my Craftsman with an 18.5 hp Kohler and 46" cut deck. 
You may want to look Stens over and/or call them to find a dealer near you to compare blades. 
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:02pm
Thanks Jim.
Ken, today I cut a section with the 46" cut JD. Just 10 days ago I cut it with the 620 (60" cut). Grass was shorter and drier today with the JD, but I had the observation the 620 did it faster. Not like zero turn faster, but definitely faster.
Did someone "we" know buy that 620?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 10:32am
I always wanted a 620/720. The ones I found were more than I wanted to spend.
Found a JD 318 (52" cut I think it is for $150. Good shape bad engine. Redid the junk Onan that was in it and used it about 5 years. Got tired of fixing the pos engine, flywheel/starter issues and most everything else except the deck and hydro.

Was looking at zero turns and the prices I couldn't justify so....I was going to spend money on something so I got a 24hp Briggs repower for that JD 318. Took a hour and 30 minutes to get going and then bought a deck speedup pulley. That is a mowing monster now, no comparison from the way it was before.

But as fate would have it I came across a 1990 Ford 1320. 20 hp 3 cyl diesel, FWA, hydro drive in pieces for free. Came with a 6' belly mower and a 5' front hydro blade.
Finally figured out that cluster puck and got it going. Parts prices are insane on those Jap tractors. I have $700 in it now.
It is as close to a zero turn as you can get. Cuts golf course like, twice as fast and half the fuel. Not a single problem with it yet and I have put close to 60 hours on it just this spring. I would never believe it's a 20hp. goes through 18" tall grass and not even bog down. Granted I may have to run over the real tall stuff again but it goes through it like it was nothing.

The JD will just sit in the wings as a backup I guess. The WD doesn't get used much anymore for mowing, just driveway work (1/2 mile drive) or just finding something to use it for because I like it.
My 2 cents
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:18am
Brian, Someone came down from New York and bought the AC for the $1500 he was asking.
   After working on my MTD I found that from lack of lubrication (my fault) the throttle control at the governor was loose with a little slop not allowing for full throttle. I adjusted and lubricated the thing and picked up 300 RPM. Did my acre in under an hour easily. Not the best job but I need to find out what the optimum engine Wide open throttle is supposed to be. Its at 3200 now.
   Also found a way to calculate blade tip speed and am still shy of the 19000FPS allowed by law. Im going to find engine WOT speed then re calculate and possibly install a smaller driven pulley on the deck. 

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:58am
Ken, yeah stick with that Lowes-MTD, looks to be in great condition. Sounds like you have a lot of obstacles and such since you need to use a push mower. I set up the landscaping such that things are not in my way. Maybe you should consider that approach.
When I mow, it can involve 4 machines, yes I like to play on power equipment,
I got a John Deere x320 48" for the fine lawn around the house. It is quiet, mows good, just the right size, no power steering, but absolutely doesn't need it.
I use the JD318 46" for the dirty work- around the periphery of the fields and woods, mowing between the blue berries. Engine is good transmission is not so good.
Up front we have a road fronting field. For this I use "Pretty Boy", the Allis Chalmers 620. Because it is so good looking, I won't get close to any nasties- don't want to scratch it up.
In back there is a pasture. Normally I use the Allis 160 tractor with 72" woods finish mower. Lately I have been using the 620 because the 160
always seems to have an implement attached that is reason I need to use next. The decision to use the 620 comes with the knowledge that the Onan is a gas hog, going to cost a few bucks extra, especially compared to the 160.

So I saw one of the little 1320 Ford tractors on side of road, I drove past, but then had to turn around. Walking up towards it, big for sale sign $500! Read the fine print- mower only, not the tractor". Darn.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:21pm
set your top no load speed at 3400 rpm and replace the blades you wil pick up what you need
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:15pm
Hi Ken! 
Glad to hear that you got a couple of bugs taken care of to wind 'er up!
With kudos to HudCo, I've had an old timer small engine repairman tell me to set the top RPM to 3600 & no more, which is pretty much what my Kohler 18.5 hp runs. 
And with my hi lift blades on, it's sucks the dry leaves and anything else out of the low spots down to the dirt normally & if I lower the deck when they're wet. 
I also don't set it down for very long when I lower it if I have any smalls branches hiding underneath them neither. But it does clean out the deck of any stuck grass, too. 

Edited by Jim Hancock - 15 Jun 2015 at 1:21pm
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:12pm
Well the grass got tall enough. I took the stone guard off the mower deck. Still using the stock blades. Mowed this morning when the grass was wet with dew. I can say there was a major improvement in ejecting tall wet grass. The grass is now blown out with authority.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:42pm
Hi Brian!
Glad to hear it! 
I was wondering how it went and I thought of you yesterday when I mowed mine. 
I see you already did what I was about to suggest by taking off the rock deflector. 
Mine is hinged, so all I dis was make a stiff wire bracket to hold it open and it's there to flip down when I mow a ditch with houses around. 
I also balance my blades, too, and that really makes it nice with no vibration. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 6:41pm
Hey Brian, 
Just a thought,  double check your deck belt tensioner to make sure that it's able to keep the belt tight. 
I discovered that my Craftsman had a scissor style tensioner and had started to have a rust build up and would keep the deck belt tight as it was sticking.  
I took it all apart, cleaned and greased it good & stuck it back together. 
I don't get any slippage now!
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
I just thought you guys deserved a final update. I found a way to calculate blade tip speed. At the RPM I was running, 2600RPM blade speed was way too low. Partly due to me never lubricating the govenor linkage. Doing that brought it up to 3000RPM then adjusting the spring anchor and now at 3300RPM my blade tip speed is just around 19,000 FPM which is the legal limit. So now in 4th Gear (it has 7) and in high range it cuts grass fast as physically comfortable and does a great job of it. I can do the whole acre in 50 minutes without trimming. Good enough for me as this is a hudge improvement. Top speed on pavement in high gear is 8.5 MPH on gps!
  Thanks again all!!

Ken

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:13pm
Yessirree!!! 
That's acuttin' grass in a hurry!
Glad to hear of the huge improvement!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:03am
Yes, the mower operates much more efficiently in tall grass without the stone guard.I have used it 3 times since removing it and it is an obvious improvement. It does throw sticks (and stones I assume) way further. I do no use it around people or property, so I accept the increased hazard risk. I wouldn't use it around the house or cars now.
This thread got started in part about mowing time. So stone guard out
is all around improvement. For cutting in the rectangular field, the full size 160 tractor with 6ft finish mower still faster than the 620. 40hp and 72" beats 18hp and 60". The 160 has a relatively short wheelbase, it turns pretty well.

I wanted to check the 620's deck for level and got a BIG SURPRISE reading the manual. Manual can be downloaded from the Simplicity support site. Deck model number is 1690074. My expectation was that the front (center) blade tip would be lower than the rears (as HudCo stated). But the manual says the rears should be lower! Why, is this because this deck has rear rollers vs. the now usual suspended type decks? I guess I should follow the manual. Can someone comment on the leveling issue?

I gave up looking for high lift blades. As far as I can see, Stens
doesn't have them for this deck.

So Ken has his machine running better and so is mine, pretty good.

Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:00pm
Yes it is, better than I remember. I guess performance drop off was so slow I diddnt notice.  Ohh also I did bungee strap my stone guard up for the first time ever and wow yeah that really allows the grass to get blown out evenly and leaves no trails and clumps at the chute  like it used to.  Unbelievable what a few tune up tricks can do!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic