Print Page | Close Window

AC 620 60" cut ability

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Garden Tractors
Forum Description: A great place to discuss the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Models
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106832
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 5:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AC 620 60" cut ability
Posted By: Ken P
Subject: AC 620 60" cut ability
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:36pm
Good Day All

I have one acre of all grass, it takes over 3 hours to cut. one hour to trim and outline with push mower and two hours to mow with my MTD 18HP 46" cut mower bought new in 1992. I can only cut grass when it is bone dry which is only after 11:00 so it effectively ruins up a whole day. I see guys using newer equipment like zero turn stuff cutting in the RAIN and cutting grass mulching so fine as to not need to pick it up with a sweeper. Also they do it at a much higher speed than mine could ever do and do a decent job. 
    A friend of mine has a 1973 ish Allison Chalmers 620 19.5 HP with a 60" deck. I am considering buying it if the speed makes it worth it and especially if i don't have to have perfectly dry grass to get a decent job.. In all everyone's opinion does this AC 620 stack up anywhere near a newer decked machine in mow speed and quality? or should I stick with my ol reliable but slow MTD and bank on a newer more modern model.

He wants $1500 with just a mower deck.  Cool looking machine by the way like its got stamina and strength.

Thanks in advance everyone 

Replies:
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:41pm
here is a pick of it...

Posted By: BrianC
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:31pm
Can the 620/720 60" cut taller grass quickly like you see them new high powered zero turns? I say no. Just last week I was cutting juicy green grass (with my 620) about front tire high. The deck can't eject the clippings. I do have the "rock" guard installed. I creep thru that tall grass, and can hear the clippings making a flapper like all wadded up noise, then they finally get spit out , looks like a cow puked. Sort of pathetic actually. The deck also isn't good at sucking up leaves and chopping them. Leaves in a hole or wetted down are untouched. On shorter grass, yeah you can go 60" wide at a good clip. I think your 2 hour time would go down vs. the machine you are using. However, I have a JD 318 with a 46" deck and essentially the same 2 cyl Onan motor as the 620/720/Powermax. It can chop through tall grass and suck up leaves. My 620 can't do like that, even if I take a narrower cut.
On the other hand, the cut looks really good, all them rollers prevent scalping. When I got done cutting, I thought, wow, the place looks like Augusta golf course. Not looking in the direction of the miserable-cutting tall grass.
Disclaimer, I bought this 620 used about 2.5 years ago, it seems to be a typical working example, but maybe something is wrong. I have no experience with them when new back in the day. I was considering taking off the rock guard.

IF the machine had a 540 rpm PTO I would set-up my little 620 garden tractor as a tractor, not a large lawn mower. Use a 3pt finish mower, 12" plow, 4ft disk, drawbar 6ft rotary hoe and drag harrow. No mid mower deck swap.

Something tractor-like and sort of in the same league- Simplicity Conquest XL, John Deere x700 series, or their prior 585,485 , maybe 425.
You can get 4wd, water cooling and 540 rpm PTO and mini-cat 1 hitch. Nice are the lawn mower like foot pedals for the hydrostat. Kubota BX's are option also. These machines I just listed cost a mint new, could be $14K. But didn't the 1975 620 cost about $7500 when new?
Good luck finding any of the above alternatives for $1500.

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:46pm
Also, if you do go for a zero turn, make sure the model you select can actually do what you have seen (tall grass in the rain, mulched to invisibility). I bet many being sold can't do that.

Posted By: macvette
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:27pm
$1500.00- I think that if the  tractor works properly, I would grab it.  Paid much more than that for mine - a 1974. I have mowed grass that is not dry, but not as high as the front wheels, tho - just normal height to be mowed.  Works well for me.  Usually mow in 2nd gear, and over half way on the hydro lever.  We don't have real good grass around here, but it seems I mow at a faster speed than my neighbor does with a comparable size unit, (much newer,but smaller mower deck), plus the AC leaves a very smooth cut.  I do not have a rock guard on my deck.  My other mower (year 2000) also has a 20 hp. engine, but a 48" cut.  Makes a lot of difference cutting 12" inches more each pass with the AC.

It seems that quite a few commercial landscaper/mowers in our area use the zero turns - have seen them cutting in light rain, and doing a decent job - again, just on grass that needed cutting, not wheel high grass.  Seems like they are very fast, and of course quick turning.

Posted By: John Price
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:34pm
Nice looking machine.  If it starts, runs, steers, moves properly and everything functions properly, $1500 is a good buy.  Good luck finding a solid 620-720 with a good functioning deck for any money.  And as stated above, $1500 will not buy anything newer that can do what a good, functioning 620 will.  I have a nice 720, paid twice what you're looking at but did get a rear Woods mower and a tiller.  The Woods discharges out both sides so it handles taller grass quite well.  I made quite the trip to get it.......but if you want it, you gotta do what you gotta do.  Glad I did, love mine.  Good luck.

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:41pm
A 620 does a good job cutting grass, but don't expect to be finished with your lawn in half the time.  While they were made to do a good job, they were not made to do a good job QUICKLY!  Also the turning radius on them are probably worse than your current mower.
Much as I love my 620, for your purposes a newer zero turn would probably work best.

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:49pm
I know what you mean, John.  Went on an 1800 mile round trip - down to TN one day, and back home to WI. early next morning.  I figure that the tractor cost me $600.00 more than what I paid for the tractor because of the cost of gas for my F-250 V10 gas eater!

But, I really like the unit-big and tough.  There have been problems, but the members on this web site are very willing to help solve the problems.

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:50pm
I cut several acres with mine. Engine is tired and deck is too. Still cuts faster than any tractor style around these parts.
Any side discharge deck has to toss the extreme closed in blade to the center blade and then to the outside discharge side. lots of grass clippings going out one small opening. A rear discharge deck will eliminate that choking, but it won't look as clean cut. Love mine, just wish they had new engines. Tracy

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:19pm
John Price, which model Woods rear mower, is that the 48" single spindle
rough cut? Is PTO driveline (PTO clutch and internal gearing, bearings, shafts) holding up OK?

Posted By: Jim Hancock
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:26am
Ken, 
As with the others, that's a great deal!
Knowing that there is a hi-lift blade made, I would look to get a set so that they can throw the grass out and not ball it around underneath the deck. 
I went from a mulching blade & medium lift blade to a hi lift on my Craftsman and it made a world of difference and I scoot right along, too! 
Also the obvious, keeping the blades sharp and balanced helps a lot with the sickling through it.

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 6:43am
The 620/720 Tractors are pretty cool, and $1500. to me is a great price, but I'm wit' Myron on the zero turn. Those machines are incredible the way they cut grass and maneuver. The landscapers around this neck of the woods rock n' roll on those things. You get two of those things rollin' around here on a 4 acre lawn, and those things will kick that lawns a$$ in no time flat! Next thing ya know, they're loadin' them things into the trailer and away they go to the next house! I'm gonna git' one of those buggers some day. My old finish mower though makes my property look like a golf coarse after I git' done mowin' it. Takes me a good 3.5-4 hrs to do my 3 acre lawn, but it looks sweet when done. Ken's right to. Gotta' keep them blades sharp for a nice cut! My plans are to git' one of them dare Orange Husquvarna jobbies one day to mow wit'. Neighbor down the road has a commercial one and loves it. Does his lawn in half the time I do mine, and he's got more lawn to cut. I might even get Jo Jo to mow the lawn. She sees how fast these Landscapers around here fly! LOL!

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:25am
quality of cut is all about the blades and the correct blade tip feet per second    just because the blades have been sharpened dosnt mean that they arnt wore out also the deck levaled with the front of the deck being 1/4" to1/2" lower than the back.        canot find my litttle rpm chart for blade tip speed .             longer blade less rpm shorter blade more rpm

Posted By: John Price
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:20am
My Woods mower is a RM59.  Wonder what that could mean!  It is the same width as the tractor and high flotation tires.  It has three spindles and is 2000 RPM PTO driven to a pulley and a hefty belt that must be a mile long looped back and forth and twisted a couple times.  The pulley sizes reduce the RPM speed to something subsonic.  So far no problems with anything and it cuts like crazy.   I hope I do not need to ever figure out how to put the belt on it and I ought to look for a belt routing decal or take several cell phone pictures now!  I do need to sharpen the blades for the season.  

Zeros are way capable, but can they push and blow snow? Plow and till and blade? Mount a loader or a backhoe? Compete in a tractor pull or simply be as cool as a AC large frame?  Don't think so.  JP

Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:44am
My deck is set up correctly including difference in height from front to rear and my blades are always sharp but I have never tried a "High Lift" blade so as to cut all the grass nicer at a slightly higher speed. If I could do that I would just keep my reliable MTD...actually it is a LOWES. I'm sure you guys know the story of this particular model MTD.

-------------
If youre always in control you're not driving fast enough

Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:50am
Thanks JP That's why I want a bigger faster tractor so I can do things like move trailers around and possibly blow snow or even till my garden. 

-------------

Posted By: Bird76Mojo
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:08pm
If you decide not to buy the 620, how about passing the deal along to the rest of us? I'd be interested depending on where it's located.

GB :)

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:09pm
Now yer' talkin' peaches n' apples. If you want to do all that other stuff that JP mentioned, then you better nab that 620! You only talked about mowing yer lawn in the original post. Make sure that 620 is in YOUR driveway this weekend! LOL!!

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:21pm
Im going to look at it tomorrow morning if all goes well. if ultimately I don't buy it then yes I will tell everyone here about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:22pm
What part number from which supplier are the high lift blades?
A $70 experiment would be worthwhile for me.

Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:28pm
Well, I guess I was already thinking about what else the new owner could do besides mow-'cause I see a 3 point back blade in the background!  Looks like a cat. 0 to me!  Guess I should stop dreaming about attachments I would like, and let Ken make his own decision!

LOL!

Posted By: ACmowerguy
Date Posted: 30 May 2015 at 10:46am
Its taking you too long to mow your lawn with the MTD. I could mow about an acre in about an hour with my Simplicity Landlord with 50" deck or JD345 with 54" deck. I don't mow when its wet. It makes a big difference cutting dry grass. If you mow wet grass and don't clean the deck out all the time you can expect the deck to rust through.

-------------
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments

Date Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:26pm
Well, Ken = all of us are anxiously awaiting your conclusion and decision!

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:02am
I decided to try a modern set of blades for my Lowes/MTD. Mine does have the more desireable deck that doesent scalp with all of its wheels and is true floating but for $70 its worth a try.
   The AC runs well, turns, changes direction and cuts grass as well as I guess it should but deck control does not go up properly, the guy seems to think the bleed or down valve may be hanging open. He says the same hydro pump drives the trans and the deck piston under the seat so obviously the pump is ok. Also if it were mine I'd disassemble the thing completely, sandblast each piece and re assemble the thing so it would look sa good as my MTD. As of now I don't need another project.
       Possibly for a few more bucks and a little luck I can get something that I wont have the never ending desire to completely disassemble and clean up. All my junk is older as I keep stuff forever but it is all clean under a small layer of dirt like my MTD.
   If he still has it after I try a newer design blade on my existing machine and still am not happy I may check it out again if he still has it. He is a friend of mine so I don't think its right to ask him to hold it for me as I may not buy it so I am going to add this link to the craigs list listing he has it under. It is in Adamstown which is in  Frederick County Maryland. 
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/5010131187.html

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:12am
Good luck to all of you I enjoyed my short but sweet membership to your forum. I can see this would be a welcoming place to get all kinds of useful information. I will stay a member but won't be active at all as I don't own a AC or even what would most consider an interesting yet useful  classic machine. I think the AC would fit this desire well. When I was 13 my neighbor had an AC 16 Horse single cylinder with 4 tiny headlamps and that thing was a beast. Thats why I consider AC my first choice in heavy duty homeowner garden capable tractors. Maybe in the future, who knows!!

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:01pm
Welcome aboard Ken.
You're close enough to be a member of this group! 
You had an exposure to an AC and now you want one!

Ken & Brian C:
I get my hi lift blades from Stens.

Posted By: chainweaver
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:16pm
Imho, you should jump on the 620. I have one, and a jd gt235, and just inherited a cub cadet enforcer zero turn. The cub doesn't have any suspension and in my rough yard rides like crap and dont like hills! 30 minutes on it & i bail. I prefer the allis.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:59am
Stens site: www.stens.com 

I talked to them yesterday about becoming a distributor/dealer. 
Phone number is on the site and I'd call them to find out where the nearest dealer is to you. HTH.

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:07pm
ad was pulled yesterday

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 6:56pm
I am waiting for the grass to get tall again. I will remove the rock guard, cut the grass, and report here. Last I said was the deck was choking on tall grass, wadded it up and then puked it out.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:41am
Did you get you a set of Hi - Lift blades to try out?

-------------
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:33am
No. I didn't know what or where to purchase.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:28am
Hi Brian.
This should get you to Stens site with 3 choices of blades for your size of cut. 
tel:800-457-7444
Give them a call to find out where your nearest dealer is. 

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=637179B36C57&SEARCH=Allis%20chalmers%20mower%20blades&GCONTENTID=DBC825CBB3E6&RND=852249787421897" rel="nofollow - http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=637179B36C57&SEARCH=Allis%20chalmers%20mower%20blades&GCONTENTID=DBC825CBB3E6&RND=852249787421897

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 11:51am
I didn't know if you were referring to me actually so I will answer your question. The tractor had been sitting in my garage for 9 years and needed a starter. Last night I installed a new starter, battery, drained the fuel, checked the Jet, replaced fuel filter and primed it by blowing compressed air into the fuel fill neck till fuel came out of the jet access plug. The thing started right up  no smoke and so quiet compared to the monster single cylinder models Ive been looking at. I had forgot the quiet power that twin briggs had with its large muffler.

Bottom line is the deck I have is the deluxe version and already has high lift blades from MTD. They haven't changed the design So...if I find something that fits from a different manufacturer that looks different I'll try them. Other than that I will get it back together and use it to reset my base line for a while then decide what to do from there. 

I really don't like to replace a piece of equipment until it is either useless or in a state of disrepair past senseless overhaul.  With about 1400 hours on it it has had multiple tie rod ends, one front axle, king pin bushings, steering worm gear and rack(?) gear multiple batteries and one set of belts oil changes and spark plugs once. That is all. The deck has no rust and the blades are sharp from whenever I sharpened them last. I hit nothing at all doing my yard so its an easy job for my machine. I guess there is something to be said for keeping it in a garage on a concrete floor. That's why my deck is in such good shape as well as no rust anywhere in the machine. As sweet as this thing is it will likely reconfirm how slow it is compared to the folks I have been hiring.

I will re evaluate after using it for a few months, turns out I don't have the kind of cash to blow right now like I usually have, slow at the shop. My very good condition machine won't bring but maybe $200 so its not even worth selling.

Good luck all

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 3:37pm
Hi Ken. 
I was answering Brian as he probably didn't see further up where I posted Stens website to chase down the blades for his mower. I think that if he changes blades, it will make a lot of difference. 
From the looks of your deck, I'd say that you've got the clearance there to get the air flow.
What I did was to pull up the deflector on my Craftsman which allows it to really spread out the cut grass. 
I don't doubt that your blades are hi lift as per their specs and say so. 
The blades that I have on my Craftsman of about the same vintage as your mower, '96, I think, have the back edge turned up to about a 40-45* angle to aggressively throw out the cut grass. As a matter of fact, take the paint off of our mowers and they almost look like twins!
I'm not kidding that I really can cut my acreage when it's dry, about an acre an hour or less when it's shaggy and needing it. Obviously, a little linger when it's taller. This is with my Craftsman with an 18.5 hp Kohler and 46" cut deck. 
You may want to look Stens over and/or call them to find a dealer near you to compare blades. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:02pm
Thanks Jim.
Ken, today I cut a section with the 46" cut JD. Just 10 days ago I cut it with the 620 (60" cut). Grass was shorter and drier today with the JD, but I had the observation the 620 did it faster. Not like zero turn faster, but definitely faster.
Did someone "we" know buy that 620?

Posted By: fixer1958
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 10:32am
I always wanted a 620/720. The ones I found were more than I wanted to spend.
Found a JD 318 (52" cut I think it is for $150. Good shape bad engine. Redid the junk Onan that was in it and used it about 5 years. Got tired of fixing the pos engine, flywheel/starter issues and most everything else except the deck and hydro.

Was looking at zero turns and the prices I couldn't justify so....I was going to spend money on something so I got a 24hp Briggs repower for that JD 318. Took a hour and 30 minutes to get going and then bought a deck speedup pulley. That is a mowing monster now, no comparison from the way it was before.

But as fate would have it I came across a 1990 Ford 1320. 20 hp 3 cyl diesel, FWA, hydro drive in pieces for free. Came with a 6' belly mower and a 5' front hydro blade.
Finally figured out that cluster puck and got it going. Parts prices are insane on those Jap tractors. I have $700 in it now.
It is as close to a zero turn as you can get. Cuts golf course like, twice as fast and half the fuel. Not a single problem with it yet and I have put close to 60 hours on it just this spring. I would never believe it's a 20hp. goes through 18" tall grass and not even bog down. Granted I may have to run over the real tall stuff again but it goes through it like it was nothing.

The JD will just sit in the wings as a backup I guess. The WD doesn't get used much anymore for mowing, just driveway work (1/2 mile drive) or just finding something to use it for because I like it.
My 2 cents

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:18am
Brian, Someone came down from New York and bought the AC for the $1500 he was asking.
   After working on my MTD I found that from lack of lubrication (my fault) the throttle control at the governor was loose with a little slop not allowing for full throttle. I adjusted and lubricated the thing and picked up 300 RPM. Did my acre in under an hour easily. Not the best job but I need to find out what the optimum engine Wide open throttle is supposed to be. Its at 3200 now.
   Also found a way to calculate blade tip speed and am still shy of the 19000FPS allowed by law. Im going to find engine WOT speed then re calculate and possibly install a smaller driven pulley on the deck. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:58am
Ken, yeah stick with that Lowes-MTD, looks to be in great condition. Sounds like you have a lot of obstacles and such since you need to use a push mower. I set up the landscaping such that things are not in my way. Maybe you should consider that approach.
When I mow, it can involve 4 machines, yes I like to play on power equipment,
I got a John Deere x320 48" for the fine lawn around the house. It is quiet, mows good, just the right size, no power steering, but absolutely doesn't need it.
I use the JD318 46" for the dirty work- around the periphery of the fields and woods, mowing between the blue berries. Engine is good transmission is not so good.
Up front we have a road fronting field. For this I use "Pretty Boy", the Allis Chalmers 620. Because it is so good looking, I won't get close to any nasties- don't want to scratch it up.
In back there is a pasture. Normally I use the Allis 160 tractor with 72" woods finish mower. Lately I have been using the 620 because the 160
always seems to have an implement attached that is reason I need to use next. The decision to use the 620 comes with the knowledge that the Onan is a gas hog, going to cost a few bucks extra, especially compared to the 160.

So I saw one of the little 1320 Ford tractors on side of road, I drove past, but then had to turn around. Walking up towards it, big for sale sign $500! Read the fine print- mower only, not the tractor". Darn.

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:21pm
set your top no load speed at 3400 rpm and replace the blades you wil pick up what you need

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:15pm
Hi Ken! 
Glad to hear that you got a couple of bugs taken care of to wind 'er up!
With kudos to HudCo, I've had an old timer small engine repairman tell me to set the top RPM to 3600 & no more, which is pretty much what my Kohler 18.5 hp runs. 
And with my hi lift blades on, it's sucks the dry leaves and anything else out of the low spots down to the dirt normally & if I lower the deck when they're wet. 
I also don't set it down for very long when I lower it if I have any smalls branches hiding underneath them neither. But it does clean out the deck of any stuck grass, too. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:12pm
Well the grass got tall enough. I took the stone guard off the mower deck. Still using the stock blades. Mowed this morning when the grass was wet with dew. I can say there was a major improvement in ejecting tall wet grass. The grass is now blown out with authority.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:42pm
Hi Brian!
Glad to hear it! 
I was wondering how it went and I thought of you yesterday when I mowed mine. 
I see you already did what I was about to suggest by taking off the rock deflector. 
Mine is hinged, so all I dis was make a stiff wire bracket to hold it open and it's there to flip down when I mow a ditch with houses around. 
I also balance my blades, too, and that really makes it nice with no vibration. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 6:41pm
Hey Brian, 
Just a thought,  double check your deck belt tensioner to make sure that it's able to keep the belt tight. 
I discovered that my Craftsman had a scissor style tensioner and had started to have a rust build up and would keep the deck belt tight as it was sticking.  
I took it all apart, cleaned and greased it good & stuck it back together. 
I don't get any slippage now!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
I just thought you guys deserved a final update. I found a way to calculate blade tip speed. At the RPM I was running, 2600RPM blade speed was way too low. Partly due to me never lubricating the govenor linkage. Doing that brought it up to 3000RPM then adjusting the spring anchor and now at 3300RPM my blade tip speed is just around 19,000 FPM which is the legal limit. So now in 4th Gear (it has 7) and in high range it cuts grass fast as physically comfortable and does a great job of it. I can do the whole acre in 50 minutes without trimming. Good enough for me as this is a hudge improvement. Top speed on pavement in high gear is 8.5 MPH on gps!
  Thanks again all!!

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:13pm
Yessirree!!! 
That's acuttin' grass in a hurry!
Glad to hear of the huge improvement!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:03am
Yes, the mower operates much more efficiently in tall grass without the stone guard.I have used it 3 times since removing it and it is an obvious improvement. It does throw sticks (and stones I assume) way further. I do no use it around people or property, so I accept the increased hazard risk. I wouldn't use it around the house or cars now.
This thread got started in part about mowing time. So stone guard out
is all around improvement. For cutting in the rectangular field, the full size 160 tractor with 6ft finish mower still faster than the 620. 40hp and 72" beats 18hp and 60". The 160 has a relatively short wheelbase, it turns pretty well.

I wanted to check the 620's deck for level and got a BIG SURPRISE reading the manual. Manual can be downloaded from the Simplicity support site. Deck model number is 1690074. My expectation was that the front (center) blade tip would be lower than the rears (as HudCo stated). But the manual says the rears should be lower! Why, is this because this deck has rear rollers vs. the now usual suspended type decks? I guess I should follow the manual. Can someone comment on the leveling issue?

I gave up looking for high lift blades. As far as I can see, Stens
doesn't have them for this deck.

So Ken has his machine running better and so is mine, pretty good.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:00pm
Yes it is, better than I remember. I guess performance drop off was so slow I diddnt notice.  Ohh also I did bungee strap my stone guard up for the first time ever and wow yeah that really allows the grass to get blown out evenly and leaves no trails and clumps at the chute  like it used to.  Unbelievable what a few tune up tricks can do!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net