This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 620 60" cut ability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 620 60" cut ability
    Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:36pm
Good Day All

I have one acre of all grass, it takes over 3 hours to cut. one hour to trim and outline with push mower and two hours to mow with my MTD 18HP 46" cut mower bought new in 1992. I can only cut grass when it is bone dry which is only after 11:00 so it effectively ruins up a whole day. I see guys using newer equipment like zero turn stuff cutting in the RAIN and cutting grass mulching so fine as to not need to pick it up with a sweeper. Also they do it at a much higher speed than mine could ever do and do a decent job. 
    A friend of mine has a 1973 ish Allison Chalmers 620 19.5 HP with a 60" deck. I am considering buying it if the speed makes it worth it and especially if i don't have to have perfectly dry grass to get a decent job.. In all everyone's opinion does this AC 620 stack up anywhere near a newer decked machine in mow speed and quality? or should I stick with my ol reliable but slow MTD and bank on a newer more modern model.

He wants $1500 with just a mower deck.  Cool looking machine by the way like its got stamina and strength.

Thanks in advance everyone 

Sponsored Links

Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:41pm
here is a pick of it...
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:31pm
Can the 620/720 60" cut taller grass quickly like you see them new high powered zero turns? I say no. Just last week I was cutting juicy green grass (with my 620) about front tire high. The deck can't eject the clippings. I do have the "rock" guard installed. I creep thru that tall grass, and can hear the clippings making a flapper like all wadded up noise, then they finally get spit out , looks like a cow puked. Sort of pathetic actually. The deck also isn't good at sucking up leaves and chopping them. Leaves in a hole or wetted down are untouched. On shorter grass, yeah you can go 60" wide at a good clip. I think your 2 hour time would go down vs. the machine you are using. However, I have a JD 318 with a 46" deck and essentially the same 2 cyl Onan motor as the 620/720/Powermax. It can chop through tall grass and suck up leaves. My 620 can't do like that, even if I take a narrower cut.
On the other hand, the cut looks really good, all them rollers prevent scalping. When I got done cutting, I thought, wow, the place looks like Augusta golf course. Not looking in the direction of the miserable-cutting tall grass.
Disclaimer, I bought this 620 used about 2.5 years ago, it seems to be a typical working example, but maybe something is wrong. I have no experience with them when new back in the day. I was considering taking off the rock guard.

IF the machine had a 540 rpm PTO I would set-up my little 620 garden tractor as a tractor, not a large lawn mower. Use a 3pt finish mower, 12" plow, 4ft disk, drawbar 6ft rotary hoe and drag harrow. No mid mower deck swap.

Something tractor-like and sort of in the same league- Simplicity Conquest XL, John Deere x700 series, or their prior 585,485 , maybe 425.
You can get 4wd, water cooling and 540 rpm PTO and mini-cat 1 hitch. Nice are the lawn mower like foot pedals for the hydrostat. Kubota BX's are option also. These machines I just listed cost a mint new, could be $14K. But didn't the 1975 620 cost about $7500 when new?
Good luck finding any of the above alternatives for $1500.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:46pm
Also, if you do go for a zero turn, make sure the model you select can actually do what you have seen (tall grass in the rain, mulched to invisibility). I bet many being sold can't do that.
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:27pm
$1500.00- I think that if the  tractor works properly, I would grab it.  Paid much more than that for mine - a 1974. I have mowed grass that is not dry, but not as high as the front wheels, tho - just normal height to be mowed.  Works well for me.  Usually mow in 2nd gear, and over half way on the hydro lever.  We don't have real good grass around here, but it seems I mow at a faster speed than my neighbor does with a comparable size unit, (much newer,but smaller mower deck), plus the AC leaves a very smooth cut.  I do not have a rock guard on my deck.  My other mower (year 2000) also has a 20 hp. engine, but a 48" cut.  Makes a lot of difference cutting 12" inches more each pass with the AC.

It seems that quite a few commercial landscaper/mowers in our area use the zero turns - have seen them cutting in light rain, and doing a decent job - again, just on grass that needed cutting, not wheel high grass.  Seems like they are very fast, and of course quick turning.

Edited by macvette - 28 May 2015 at 10:38pm
John Price View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:34pm
Nice looking machine.  If it starts, runs, steers, moves properly and everything functions properly, $1500 is a good buy.  Good luck finding a solid 620-720 with a good functioning deck for any money.  And as stated above, $1500 will not buy anything newer that can do what a good, functioning 620 will.  I have a nice 720, paid twice what you're looking at but did get a rear Woods mower and a tiller.  The Woods discharges out both sides so it handles taller grass quite well.  I made quite the trip to get it.......but if you want it, you gotta do what you gotta do.  Glad I did, love mine.  Good luck.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:41pm
A 620 does a good job cutting grass, but don't expect to be finished with your lawn in half the time.  While they were made to do a good job, they were not made to do a good job QUICKLY!  Also the turning radius on them are probably worse than your current mower.
Much as I love my 620, for your purposes a newer zero turn would probably work best.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:49pm
I know what you mean, John.  Went on an 1800 mile round trip - down to TN one day, and back home to WI. early next morning.  I figure that the tractor cost me $600.00 more than what I paid for the tractor because of the cost of gas for my F-250 V10 gas eater!

But, I really like the unit-big and tough.  There have been problems, but the members on this web site are very willing to help solve the problems.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:50pm
I cut several acres with mine. Engine is tired and deck is too. Still cuts faster than any tractor style around these parts.
Any side discharge deck has to toss the extreme closed in blade to the center blade and then to the outside discharge side. lots of grass clippings going out one small opening. A rear discharge deck will eliminate that choking, but it won't look as clean cut. Love mine, just wish they had new engines. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:19pm
John Price, which model Woods rear mower, is that the 48" single spindle
rough cut? Is PTO driveline (PTO clutch and internal gearing, bearings, shafts) holding up OK?

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:26am
Ken, 
As with the others, that's a great deal!
Knowing that there is a hi-lift blade made, I would look to get a set so that they can throw the grass out and not ball it around underneath the deck. 
I went from a mulching blade & medium lift blade to a hi lift on my Craftsman and it made a world of difference and I scoot right along, too! 
Also the obvious, keeping the blades sharp and balanced helps a lot with the sickling through it.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 6:43am
The 620/720 Tractors are pretty cool, and $1500. to me is a great price, but I'm wit' Myron on the zero turn. Those machines are incredible the way they cut grass and maneuver. The landscapers around this neck of the woods rock n' roll on those things. You get two of those things rollin' around here on a 4 acre lawn, and those things will kick that lawns a$$ in no time flat! Next thing ya know, they're loadin' them things into the trailer and away they go to the next house! I'm gonna git' one of those buggers some day. My old finish mower though makes my property look like a golf coarse after I git' done mowin' it. Takes me a good 3.5-4 hrs to do my 3 acre lawn, but it looks sweet when done. Ken's right to. Gotta' keep them blades sharp for a nice cut! My plans are to git' one of them dare Orange Husquvarna jobbies one day to mow wit'. Neighbor down the road has a commercial one and loves it. Does his lawn in half the time I do mine, and he's got more lawn to cut. I might even get Jo Jo to mow the lawn. She sees how fast these Landscapers around here fly! LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:25am
quality of cut is all about the blades and the correct blade tip feet per second    just because the blades have been sharpened dosnt mean that they arnt wore out also the deck levaled with the front of the deck being 1/4" to1/2" lower than the back.        canot find my litttle rpm chart for blade tip speed .             longer blade less rpm shorter blade more rpm
John Price View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:20am
My Woods mower is a RM59.  Wonder what that could mean!  It is the same width as the tractor and high flotation tires.  It has three spindles and is 2000 RPM PTO driven to a pulley and a hefty belt that must be a mile long looped back and forth and twisted a couple times.  The pulley sizes reduce the RPM speed to something subsonic.  So far no problems with anything and it cuts like crazy.   I hope I do not need to ever figure out how to put the belt on it and I ought to look for a belt routing decal or take several cell phone pictures now!  I do need to sharpen the blades for the season.  

Zeros are way capable, but can they push and blow snow? Plow and till and blade? Mount a loader or a backhoe? Compete in a tractor pull or simply be as cool as a AC large frame?  Don't think so.  JP
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:44am
My deck is set up correctly including difference in height from front to rear and my blades are always sharp but I have never tried a "High Lift" blade so as to cut all the grass nicer at a slightly higher speed. If I could do that I would just keep my reliable MTD...actually it is a LOWES. I'm sure you guys know the story of this particular model MTD.

Edited by Ken P - 29 May 2015 at 11:47am
If youre always in control you're not driving fast enough
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:50am
Thanks JP That's why I want a bigger faster tractor so I can do things like move trailers around and possibly blow snow or even till my garden. 
Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:08pm
If you decide not to buy the 620, how about passing the deal along to the rest of us? I'd be interested depending on where it's located.

GB :)
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:09pm
Now yer' talkin' peaches n' apples. If you want to do all that other stuff that JP mentioned, then you better nab that 620! You only talked about mowing yer lawn in the original post. Make sure that 620 is in YOUR driveway this weekend! LOL!!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:21pm
Im going to look at it tomorrow morning if all goes well. if ultimately I don't buy it then yes I will tell everyone here about it.

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:22pm
What part number from which supplier are the high lift blades?
A $70 experiment would be worthwhile for me.
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:28pm
Well, I guess I was already thinking about what else the new owner could do besides mow-'cause I see a 3 point back blade in the background!  Looks like a cat. 0 to me!  Guess I should stop dreaming about attachments I would like, and let Ken make his own decision!

LOL!
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 10:46am
Its taking you too long to mow your lawn with the MTD. I could mow about an acre in about an hour with my Simplicity Landlord with 50" deck or JD345 with 54" deck. I don't mow when its wet. It makes a big difference cutting dry grass. If you mow wet grass and don't clean the deck out all the time you can expect the deck to rust through.

10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:26pm
Well, Ken = all of us are anxiously awaiting your conclusion and decision!
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:02am
I decided to try a modern set of blades for my Lowes/MTD. Mine does have the more desireable deck that doesent scalp with all of its wheels and is true floating but for $70 its worth a try.
   The AC runs well, turns, changes direction and cuts grass as well as I guess it should but deck control does not go up properly, the guy seems to think the bleed or down valve may be hanging open. He says the same hydro pump drives the trans and the deck piston under the seat so obviously the pump is ok. Also if it were mine I'd disassemble the thing completely, sandblast each piece and re assemble the thing so it would look sa good as my MTD. As of now I don't need another project.
       Possibly for a few more bucks and a little luck I can get something that I wont have the never ending desire to completely disassemble and clean up. All my junk is older as I keep stuff forever but it is all clean under a small layer of dirt like my MTD.
   If he still has it after I try a newer design blade on my existing machine and still am not happy I may check it out again if he still has it. He is a friend of mine so I don't think its right to ask him to hold it for me as I may not buy it so I am going to add this link to the craigs list listing he has it under. It is in Adamstown which is in  Frederick County Maryland. 
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/5010131187.html
Ken P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:12am
Good luck to all of you I enjoyed my short but sweet membership to your forum. I can see this would be a welcoming place to get all kinds of useful information. I will stay a member but won't be active at all as I don't own a AC or even what would most consider an interesting yet useful  classic machine. I think the AC would fit this desire well. When I was 13 my neighbor had an AC 16 Horse single cylinder with 4 tiny headlamps and that thing was a beast. Thats why I consider AC my first choice in heavy duty homeowner garden capable tractors. Maybe in the future, who knows!!

Ken

Edited by Ken P - 01 Jun 2015 at 11:14am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:01pm
Welcome aboard Ken.
You're close enough to be a member of this group! 
You had an exposure to an AC and now you want one!

Ken & Brian C:
I get my hi lift blades from Stens.
chainweaver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainweaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:16pm
Imho, you should jump on the 620. I have one, and a jd gt235, and just inherited a cub cadet enforcer zero turn. The cub doesn't have any suspension and in my rough yard rides like crap and dont like hills! 30 minutes on it & i bail. I prefer the allis.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:59am
Stens site: www.stens.com 

I talked to them yesterday about becoming a distributor/dealer. 
Phone number is on the site and I'd call them to find out where the nearest dealer is to you. HTH.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:07pm
ad was pulled yesterday
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 6:56pm
I am waiting for the grass to get tall again. I will remove the rock guard, cut the grass, and report here. Last I said was the deck was choking on tall grass, wadded it up and then puked it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic