This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 AC
    Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:39pm
What's is opinion of painting a maroon belly black?
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:51pm
Some of the later 7000's were black. It;s your tractor and your choice.

Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:18pm
leave it maroon
1969 220,1967 190DXT,1968 190DXT, LGT's 710,,716
bleeds orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:39pm
Keep it maroon, and get new decals that look like original style decals for that year and model.
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:53pm
The tractor I have was originally maroon. A dealer I bought it from, years ago, had painted it black. I didn't really care at the time. Now I am restoring the tractor and know it should be maroon but the black looks better. I like equipment to be as original as possible so maroon it is.
I see lots of comments about paint. Am I correct that the orange would be P.O. #2? What the preference for paint brand? Appreciate all the comments.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:16pm
I have a maroon 7000. Ya, maybe it would look better black. But it is what is, and I don't mind the maroon color. Orange color should be PO#2. I use PPG paint.    Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm
I just went through the entire trans and diff. Had to replace the counter shaft, 1st gear and reverse idler. Plus bearings in the power shift and all the seals and gaskets. What a project. Ready to put the rear housing back on. This is why I am asking about the paint. After this much work a nice paint job would be appropriate. Thinking about putting it in a tractor show later in the year.
Thanks for the help.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:06pm
That does sound like a big project. What was going on that made you tear into it.   Tim
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
Wouldn't shift and stay in reverse. Gears worn really bad. I have heard this is the tractors weak link. It has set for almost 10 years. I like to restore trucks, tractors, heavy equipment as a hobby. Decided it was the 7000's turn this winter. Fairly easy tractor to work on. It's very practical the way it's built.
Do you do your own repairs or have a shop do it?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:02am
Any tractor re-painted black over maroon I can tell. Every time a piece of the black paint comes off, from a power washer or wrenching, the maroon still shows up underneath.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:15am
I'm on the fence with color. Prefer the black but also like originality. Having said that, I did put steps on my own maroon 7060 and am currently installing a black belly cab kit. I think these changes make it more user friendly.
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:00am
I would like better steps. Have seen a few pics of some that have been made. Thinking about making a set. The originals are a little dangerous. I don't have a cab. Have ROPS with a canopy top.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:18am
As much as I like all the 7000 series, my favorite Allis really, whoever thought maroon goes with orange has got to be color blind.  Still think it looks like primer they never got around to painting and therefore looks unfinished/ cheap.

Hey, just my opinion, don't shoot me!LOL
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:27am
Glad you chose the maroon. Maroon belly paint, like it or hate it, it reminds me of that era’s initiated numerous RADICAL CHANGES & NEW FEATURES that demonstrated Allis-Chalmers’ commitment.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:27am
After you update the cab steps, replace the steering wheel with the newer, shallower, smaller diameter one. Makes in and out of the cab much easier.
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
Can't disagree with that. Hard to believe that many people had to make that color decision and thought it was a good one.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
We just got done with my open station 7040 last fall, and using automotive paint, the maroon looks amazing! We did do the orange in corporate though. There's pics of it on my FB page and on my phone, never have been good at posting pics here though lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:39am
this is the step mod done 40 years ago ,lengthen back stay out by 3 inchs puts steps on a better angle.also have to add a bit to the bottom rod. Small steering wheel was added a short time later.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
JPG, your 7060 looks awesome! Thanks for sharing pictures. Aside from my previous post’s plug for AC, those original steps design could have only been an 11th hour after thought?? Nothing but shin busters from the start. Your step & steering wheel are great updates.

InjectionEd, if you PM me, I’ll post your 7040 pictures.

Edited by AC7060IL - 31 Jan 2019 at 9:34am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:02am
Well,like others,I like black bellys the best for appearance but think the maroons with the correct decals should not be altered. It's yours so do what you want.Probably no one around there who cares or knows the difference besides you. Good luck.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm
Tearing into the transmission Jerry I would not do it by myself, I'd have it done. My 7000 comes out of first real hard, so I don't use that gear. I need to adjust trans brake, have you done that. I forgot to mention that I get the maroon paint from Maibach Tractor. I did buy a black belly step for it from Heitman's In WI. I'll paint that and the fuel tank maroon. Do you have a ROPS and a roof on your 7000. Here's Ed's tractor.
  Tim
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

As much as I like all the 7000 series, my favorite Allis really, whoever thought maroon goes with orange has got to be color blind.  Still think it looks like primer they never got around to painting and therefore looks unfinished/ cheap.

I won't shoot you, I very much agree with you. Of all the colors in the world why did they pic maroon?  My maroon bellied 7040 is now a black belly, like it should have been from the start.Smile
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:55pm
Tim, I have already completed the trans and diff. Ready to put it back together. As far as the trans brake, I will get that adjusted once it's running again. I have an Allis shop manual that spells everything out really well. The best thing I made was a heavy duty cart to hold the housing while working on it. I will try to post a few pics but the pic files are too large. Need to figure out how to resize them.
acnh210 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acnh210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:08pm
Terra Tiger, WD, 7040ps, 8050 with westendorf loader, 8050ps fwa.
acnh210 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acnh210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
I don't post many pictures, obviously. This is a 40 that has the black belly steps, steering wheel and stadium light bar. Had decals custom made. One of my favorites.
Terra Tiger, WD, 7040ps, 8050 with westendorf loader, 8050ps fwa.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:30pm
Didn't AC come out with the maroon about the same time Hesston changed from red to brown? Wasn't there some reason? I seem to remember something about lead paint, but that was a long time ago!!!
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm
Nice looking tractor. I am enjoying restoring mine. Looking forward to getting it done.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I won't shoot you. When I brought mine home I was 100% certain I would be changing it to black. But...the more I worked on it the more the maroon grew on me - I kept it maroon. I think it turned out OK.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Luv the maroon , although at first I did think Allis had ran out of paint when I first seen them but it does grow on you
Alex (wi) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex (wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:09pm
I've always wanted to see an all Orange 7000 series.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic