This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT transmission
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 11:08am
Last august I bought a 1967? 190xt for dirt cheap with a bad turbo. I put a good turbo on and was able to test the power director under load and it worked perfectly and tractor does not pop out of gear. However I did have it get stuck between gears (on the 4 speed not the PD) so I took the top cover off and realigned it by hand and away it went, that was for 3erd gear (4spd) one day it decided it would not go into 4th (4spd) at all. and yesterday it did it to reverse and will not go into reverse. I took the cover off and have determand the problem is the side and vertical play of the gear assembly (almost 2/3 inch in all ways) the main bearings are shot also 1st gear (4spd) has a few chips in it and should be replaced. How bad is it to replace the trans bearings? would I be splitting it at the back of the torque tube? can the trans bearings be done without a total rear end teardown?
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 2:39pm
This is a project for sure , gotta tear it all apart from the rear just to get to the bearings, gears etc, and can get very xpensive ! Sometime its better to find one with a bad engine and swap the transmission back- but most are parked cause of transmission problems

Edited by DougG - 22 Feb 2020 at 2:41pm
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 3:41pm
 I did a rebuild on a 190 XT 2 years ago, yes split the rear end and everything has to come out. We put in new bearings and input shaft, couple of shift collars and one gear and clutch. Lots of hours but my time doesn't count. I think we had $2000 in it in parts.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
youngorange2000 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:42pm
How bad is removing the operators platform on these tractors? I have decided its a fix im willing to do as I like the tractor and its in overall decent shape and I think its a neat tractor (it has 23.1.30 rears,swinging drawbar,and no three point. Plus even if it cost $2000 to fix I would be into the whole rig for $2500 and have a repaired trans. Does anyone have any pictures of a splitting stand or similar setup?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:45pm
or if anyone's got nice tight rear end from one or a tractor with a bad engine for cheap near central MN I might be willing to go that route. mine is SN 11169DXT
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:52pm
Just out of curiosity, is this a slant fender or a flat fender?? Makes no difference in the fix, just curious. I wish I had the tools/knowledge on how to take on a project like this, KUDOS to you !!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:00pm
You don't remove the platform/fuel tank. You raise them up at the rear about 8 inches or so and roll the rear end out from underneath. Then, you tear the rear end apart while the front 2/3 of the tractor is supported by safety stands. Without a cab is easier than with a cab.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:01pm
Some guys loosen the bolts on the platform and jack it up to just remove the rear end assembly from the tactor, if you do that swap, a lot of stuff involved in everything

Edited by DougG - 23 Feb 2020 at 8:52am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:27pm
Draining the fuel tanks helps too.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:52pm
does anyone have any pictures of one being split at the back? or of the the platform lifted? its a slant fender with a white cab. the cab is coming off anyways intel it gets painted. the fuel tank has maybe 5 gals in it so that will help a ton
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:12pm
When my mechanic did our transmission he lifted the entire operator platform off the tractor.  Can't remember how, but it would make your life much easier for this undertaking.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:16pm
Like Dr. said, don't remove the platform, a lot of extra work for nothing. Have worked on them all my life and have never removed a platform.        MACK
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:21am
Youngorange2000, Here are some links to some older AC forum discussions & photos about XT trans/rear-end rebuilds. I have a 1967 XT trans project waiting on me too. Hope these help. Joe(OH) included some photos of how to raise/remove trans from behind XT (like Dr & Mack say).
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/190-xt-rear-end_topic9692.html

This link is two links in one. Once you open the first link & read down some you’ll see another orange highlighted link to open. The second link contains some photos from Cal(KS).
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/190-trans-gears_topic102834.html

Edited by AC7060IL - 23 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:24am
You'll need to remove some hood bolts and sides then lift the platform up high enough to put a 4x4 between platform and end of torque tube. I do have some pics of mine, I' try to post later. I also made a set of splitting jacks .
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:41am
I never lift it as high as the Service Manual said to be able to use a 4 x 4.  I even removed the sediment bowls for more clearance and tipped the nose of the transmission down when rolling it back to clear more things underneath the platform. No sheetmetal on the hoods ever touched. Never loosened any platform hardware. Seat frame stayed inside the cab if it had a cab. Never removed the battery box. Had vertical/threaded tube stands that sat just in front of each rear axle to connect to a fender mount bolt to raise and hold the platform. A cherry picker works (each rear corner of platform to lift from) but you still have to support it once up high enough as the cherry picker is in the way. Less fuel helps too. Not a big job for the experienced. When I was young, less than 4 hrs would roll the rear end away with the rear tires still on. In fact, I think I did one in 2 1/2 hrs once on a small wager.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:53am
Just like Dr. does, except use overhead hoist then stands under platform after transmission is out.
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 11:38am
If the info I’m looking at is right, your xt is a mid 1966 model.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 1:28pm
That maybe a problem, what size are the rear axles ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 3:59pm
Prior to s/n 9001 the axles are the small 2 3/4" diameter. Effective 9001 the axles became 3 1/4" diameter. Either way the transmission should be the updated version, because all XT's got the driveline updated (prior to 9001) but straight One-Ninety's did not.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:25pm
Here's a couple of pics. 
Leon B MO

ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:54pm
Leon, Nice rolling stands. Did you make them? Look to be easy to realign the sections with the 3 roller system.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
I never pulled the wheels off axel unless there was a bearing or axel problem.    MACK
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:41am
Mack, so did you remove the axle shaft and wheel as one piece? Was it difficult to re-assemble? We've got a 200 that jump out of 3rd, but it is just an auger/seeder tractor now and doesn't get many hours. I may tear into it this winter, I don't know.

ksbowman, yes I made them. I copied them from a set of stands that belongs to a very good retired AC mechanic. Yes, the jack screws make it very easy to adjust when going back together.
Leon B MO

Edited by Leon B MO - 24 Feb 2020 at 6:44am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:18am
Those splitting stands appear to be a copy of the official OTC brand stands A-C required dealers to have.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:18am
Yes, all together, move out just far enough to remove bull gears. Not too bad to get back in.            MACK
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:37am
Thank you guys for all the response I will be pulling mine into the shop next weekend to start the process. I am going to have to build a stand too
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm
Does the 3 point /PTO section need to be removed for the OP's tranny fix? Just curious is all. Seems like 3 or 4 years ago someone posted pics of a complete tear-down of an XT?? ILL Gleaner maybe?? The pics were impressive as to what was done Big smile .
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Does the 3 point /PTO section need to be removed for the OP's tranny fix? Just curious is all. .
Yes
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:55pm
Good job on the splitting stands also! I like how you repurposed the JD/KINZE parallel arms! , Mike
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:23pm
I like those stands too, would it be possible to get some more pics and possible dimensions of them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic