This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 Dwell and Rpm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 Dwell and Rpm
    Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:24pm
According to my 50 year old hand held meter , the dwell is 34 at idle and 32 wide open . Rpm is 800 idle and 1800 WOT . Runs good , so I'm guessing this is ok ? Any thoughts ? Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 02 May 2023 at 1:27pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 1:02pm
Wide open throttle is to be 2,200 RPM on a D-15.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 1:41pm
Okay, sounds like something ain't quite right? Plan B . Thanks Dr Allis
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:20pm
On the right side of the engine, there is a stop bolt that the governor spring lever hits when at the wide open position. Remove this bolt and adjust linkage to gain RPM's at the full throttle position. The governor spring lever can only rotate CCW so far and it will hit the vertical governor cross arm. That is the maximum RPM you can achieve with that spring. A new spring/plunger assembly is usually stiffer than an old one and will increase RPM's.

Edited by DrAllis - 22 Apr 2023 at 6:43am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 6:45am
Thanks Dr Allis . I noticed this gov lever had a good bit of wiggle . Took it off and cleaned it up and found it had been brazed . Guess it broke years ago , before I bought it . Someone also wrapped teflon tape around the vertical nipple it goes on . Guess it's worn and needs a bushing ? Don't see one on the Agco site . Says new arm comes with bushing . Should say this Governor lever arm is #70234113 . Thanks again !

Edited by ACinSC - 22 Apr 2023 at 6:48am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 2:35pm
Have a #70234113 governor lever arm on the way . Nice to be able to get parts for my 60 year old tractor . When it arrives I'll install it and go from there . Would like to get the RPM up to 2,200 . Thanks !
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 2:38pm
New governor spring/plunger would be good.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 4:42pm
Is that the short spring with the metal piece inside? Thanks!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 5:22pm
YES. That spring controls your speed and especially top speed.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 6:20pm
Okay thanks Dr Allis. I'll see if I can get them.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 1:34pm
Test run today with new #70234113 governor lever arm . WOT is still 1,800 rpm . Idle rpm is down from 800 to 600 . Plan to replace the #7022316 plunger and spring and re-test . Thanks !
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 2:10pm
Did you remove the stop bolt and readjust the linkage so it cranks the lever all the way around ?????????????
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:21pm
Stop bolt doesn't touch this new lever arm unless I hold throttle lever all the way down . Thanks DR Allis !
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:40pm
if you disconnect the carburetor rod on the left side of the tractor where it attaches to the governor cross arm.... will the throttle go to wide open and touch the Stop ?

make sure that cross arm is not dragging on the thermostat housing or hose when at WIDE open.

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 May 2023 at 3:44pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:53pm
I told you to remove the stop bolt and then adjust the linkage so the governor spring lever is rotated as far as it can go !! That's how you increase RPM's
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 4:24pm
No Steve , makes no difference with carb rod off . Thanks !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 4:26pm
I'm not understanding , Dr Allis . Adjust/bend the linkage behind the rad , or something else ? Thanks !
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 4:59pm
Step #1. Remove the governor spring lever stop bolt and throw it away.   Step #2. Remove the right side panel under the fuel tank.   Step #3. Find the throttle rod that activates the governor spring arm. Loosen the setscrew and adjust this rod so it is LONGER. Make it long enough to make that governor spring arm swing around as far as it can go, with the hand throttle still going clear DOWN horizontal. Recheck and make sure you can still reach slow idle speed.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 5:53pm
Got it! Thanks Dr Allis. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 11:25am
Lengthened throttle rod about 1/2" , just about to the very end of rod . WOT is up from 1800 to 1900 . Pulled gov arm back by hand and that's as far as it goes . Gonna see if I can borrow another meter , maybe mine's not reading right ? THANKS !!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 12:22pm
what stops the arm from moving further ??   Or are you saying its hitting Internal ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 12:50pm
The governor spring arm can only swing so far and it hits the governor cross arm that goes in front of the engine. That's as far as it can go. I often times put a twist in the end of the gov spring arm to get a little more RPM out of it and a new spring usually helps s little too. I question the accuracy of his RPM meter.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:11pm
Not sure what's hitting Steve, but it's sure far as it'll go. Have a line on another meter and I'll retest. Thanks
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 3:08pm
Dr Allis is right ! Gov arm hits the linkage behind the rad and that's far as it will go . Wonder if a new plunger and spring would increase the RPM ? Thanks !!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:13am
Installed new #70223516 spring/plunger today . WOT is now right at 2,220 rpm . Guess my old spring was weak and not opening the governor enough ? Idle is still 600 rpm . THANKS DR Allis and Steve !!

Edited by ACinSC - 09 May 2023 at 12:45pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 11:28am
Here's the old post I was talking about Madcow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic