This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zippered a tire today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 9:34am
I have no idea what rims are worth truthfully as have never purchased any. PM me a price please. I don't know where Newton, IA is but I'm west of Peoria, IL between Galesburg, and Peoria about equidistant.

Thanks,

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 11:33am
Codger, just replaced the tires and 1 rim on my 175D this  summer. I shopped all around for 16 x 28 rims and prices ranged from 650 to 800 dollars, nobody that sold new ones had used. I finally found a used rim for $100.oo because the valve stem hole was rusted badly, Grandson cut it out and welded in the one from the old rim. I dropped down to 15.9 /28's instead of 18,4's to save $$...Harvey
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Over the many years of antique tractor fixin, I've saved many a pretty rough inside of a rear rim with 2 or three layers of duct tape wrapped around the wheel to protect the tube from rubbing damage (after a heavy electric wire brushing off the scale/rust). Now, none of mine were ever a "working" tractor and no fluid, but if the rim looked pretty good on the outside, I seldom threw it away from inside pittting. Duct tape to the rescue !!!
dr allis has been watching too much Red Green
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 1:46pm
neat way to break the bead...
course if I try it, I'll left the dang tractor off the ground.....
then it'll roll back, jack comes off, flies at just under Mach3.4 and I'll be the 'headless wonder'.......
and tire will STILL be on the rim
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 5:31pm
I borrowed a bead breaker from a friend and it works well. Clamps onto the rim and you tighten both the clamping arm, and foot nut forcing a shoe down onto the tire bead. This one is Harbor Freight but works surprisingly well:

You may think an impact would be faster and it may well be but not needed or you'll lose the control this offers as the pressure is applied.

Edited by Codger - 22 Dec 2023 at 5:35pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 6:39pm
I have that one. Like it very well. I think an impact is not recommended. Can't remember, instruction manual is AWOL.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 10:09pm

Regarding your side hill stability... Try extending the wheel track width.
Lawn tractor companies sell spacers to scoot wheels out to avoid tipping over. Most farm tractors have that feature built in for row crops, even if just changing the hub cup direction.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 10:39pm
That is an option I'd considered when first getting the tractor a couple of years ago. It is very stable the way it is with the fluid but with the wider tires installed I may need to mount the center disc on the opposite side for clearance on the inside to tractor spacing. I don't really know how close the tire inner sidewall to fender bracing will be. Also don't know if the loop offset is all the same on this style rim, or if offsets are different with different rims?

I'm actually going to purchase a small "Woods" batwing mower next spring for this tractor that a guy I know is trading in. Don't mind putting a bit of $$$ into it as really like it and suits the purpose needed well.

Tractor:

Batwing mower:

Edited by Codger - 22 Dec 2023 at 10:48pm
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 11:36pm
Wheel weights hanging out there will add stability too…
What I’ll do is use the loader bucket to break beads…
Works with most all tractors tires…
My Wd45 has impressed me with stability with only 3 sets of wheel weights.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 12:22am
Thanks for the tips. I currently mow the roadside ditches with this and an RD-7200 three point mount mower and it works well, but have been waiting a good batwing to come in on trade as more useful overall to me. This one really does do pretty well and is not "tipsy" at all, but I do not know the slope the mowing is done at. Neither my wife, nor daughter would even think of mowing these areas although I have for over 23 years now without incident. I can't get the zero turn to track straight through these areas and it has difficulty climbing out of the low areas of the ditch. The tractor has no problems.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I currently mow the roadside ditches with this and an RD-7200 three point mount mower and it works well, but have been waiting a good batwing to come in on trade as more useful overall to me. This one really does do pretty well and is not "tipsy" at all, but I do not know the slope the mowing is done at. Neither my wife, nor daughter would even think of mowing these areas although I have for over 23 years now without incident. I can't get the zero turn to track straight through these areas and it has difficulty climbing out of the low areas of the ditch. The tractor has no problems.

There's a cheap solution for angle finding, Harbor Freight sells these:

For $4, you can find the angle, and read it on the go, by putting the AF on a piece of sheet metal, on your tractor.  Can also be used on a short length of light weight angle iron laying on the ground, in question.

I have an Altoz tracked ZTR mower, and it's the best on hills, I have ever used, so this comes from experience, with wheeled zero turn mowers, that touchas biting into the seat feeling generally occurs at 25-30 degrees, with losing control and sliding occurring somewhere around there. Since having the Altoz and the AF, I know that its moment happens at around 38 degrees.  The price paid for those extra 13 degrees is a little more wheel(track) marks, when making zero radius turns.  And a lot of wheel marks and skids are dependent on how wet the situation is, when you are mowing, as well as how you mow, i.e. ribbon striping vs regular round and round mowing.

Do what works best for your level of comfort, is my advice.  Sometimes, around here, alls it takes is 1 ground hog digging a new hole in a hillside, to really roll your day over...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 23 Dec 2023 at 4:08am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 4:04am
I broke a lot of beads with the 6080 and handyman jack! Works pretty good really. Last summer I bought one of the screw type breakers because it was the only way I could get the tires off my 'H'. Long story. They do recommend you don't use an impact on them because it will shear the roll pin that holds the nut to the screw. I use a DeWalt ratchet. Kind of wish I'd have bought it years ago, really handy!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 5:56pm
Got a new pair of rims ordered in several years ago but never picked up. Makes for a nice Christmas gift from the implement dealer I help out so this chapter is closed.

Thanks to the parties responding to help me out with used rims. I really like this tractor and plan to keep it the rest of my days passing it to family when I'm done. It does what I need, when I need, so nothing fancier is required.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic