This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zippered a tire today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zippered a tire today
    Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 7:42pm

I had a sidewall let go on my White 2-55 while mowing a hillside today. Not near enough to roll the tractor over but still a seat gripping experience. Tire size is the original 14.9X28 Firestone R-1 tread type. These have calcium in them so very heavy and stable on the hillside. I don't farm yet but this tractor will be doing hay work next year.

Thinking I'll upsize the tires to 16.9X28 as have already upsized the fronts from 6.50X15 to 7.50X15 Firestones as wanted a four rib steer tire. This raised the front of the tractor to an uphill stance. If I upsize the rear tires I'll need new rims to go from the current 13X28", to 15X28 size.

Really like the tractor so planning to keep it many years. Cost really isn't much of an issue here but good tires are. Tractor is always inside my shop unless my ass is in the seat so sunlight breakdown is not really a concern. I plan to ballast the new ones with beet juice rather than calcium as I understand it doesn't corrode the rims. My existing are suffering around the valve stems.

Although tractor is it's original White corporate Silver and dark gray, grand daughter prefers "Massey-Ferguson" Red so change is on the horizon. Tractor will be hers someday so may as well paint it like she wants.

Question here is tires. What brand, ply, etc. is recommended? I mow ditches primarily with this tractor and it's R-1 tires have always done well. I don't really worry about turf damage as have a nice zero turn mower for where the lawn needs to look good.

Thanks,

Edited by Codger - 18 Aug 2023 at 7:44pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 9:05pm
I would prefer Firestone, would NOT buy Goodyear!                  MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 9:40pm
Many D-17's have 16.9 x 28 tires on a 13 inch rim !! Thousands of them !! No need to go to a 15 inch rim.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 10:04pm
Thanks guys. I am inclined to stay with Firestone brand as I've had good service with them through the years. These rear tires are original from 1984 so got a bit of age on them.

Tire dealer where I purchased the front tires told me I needed the larger rims for upsizing the rear tires. I have no experience myself and still see several D-17 series tractors weekly. I'll have a look. I'm more interested in the diameter than the width really as the 14.9 size looks good to me but again the tractor has a bit of an "uphill" stance with the 7.50 tires on the steer. Not any kind of a problem however.

Thanks,
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 10:05pm
whatever you don’t buy Alliance tires they cracked like crazy in the first year. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

whatever you don’t buy Alliance tires they cracked like crazy in the first year. 

I have seen exactly that on some fairly new tractors that come in for service. Titan is another I've seen with early cracking to the rubber, but I do see that brand often.
560Dennis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 560Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:39am
thanks for the comments . Told my son to buy firestone , he was thinking bkt ,I talk to him about traction ,fuel economy and cracking. He went with Firestone. 
Spend all the money on tires and they ,rubber cracks open ,unacceptable. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:46am
Originally posted by 560Dennis 560Dennis wrote:

thanks for the comments . Told my son to buy firestone , he was thinking bkt ,I talk to him about traction ,fuel economy and cracking. He went with Firestone. 
Spend all the money on tires and they ,rubber cracks open ,unacceptable. 

BKT seems to be a good tire that holds up. I've seen tractors come in with this brand that was sold by a now defunct local dealer a lot. I remember them being a bit on the $$$ side a few years ago.

I've had the best luck with Bridgestone/Firestone tires through the years overall. Goodyear, not so good it seems although the rear set on my one ton Dodge have worn well. Only tire I could find at the time with steel in the sidewalls, (G-133) and they have been great tires.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

... I plan to ballast the new ones with beet juice rather than calcium as I understand it doesn't corrode the rims...

Does anyone know what the weight difference is between calcium-chloride solution and beet juice (Rim Guard) per gallon?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:01am
I've had a set of BKT 14.9 x 28's on my WD-45 for 11 years now. Lots of tractor rides and occasional moldboard plowing. No regrets. Would buy the same thing again.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:20am
Thanks for the update on your BKT tires. That reasons with what I've seen directly. I will not, and would not consider Carlisle Tires for anything but a lawnmower. Their rubber compound is far too soft and it's the only brand that I consistently see with rubber lugs literally ripped out of the tire. My skid steer has this same problem with the Carlisle tires. They are almost as soft as what you see on a home center lawn tractor.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:26am
I’ve had BKTs on my WD45 for 15 years . They still look like new. My tractor never sits outside. The bkts have very stiff sidewalls they are an 8 plié tire and we’re recommended by the tire dealer. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:42am
Found this on the internet regarding Beet Juice:

And something about both calcium chloride, and beet juice:

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 8:05am
Son has a FORD 4600 with 7.5 x 16 Carlisle tires on the front that just gave out yesterday.. I think these are 40 years old...3 rib...What would you buy ? 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 9:31am
Mine are eight ply Firestone. 
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 11:27am
I’ve got 20.8 38 Carlisle’s on the 7030. That’s Ian’s baling tractor. Three years old, 40 ish hours a year. Most incredible rears I have ever experienced.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:20pm
You might want to edit that post, captain. Lol
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:29pm
Lolol!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 6:48pm
Good service in the past from Carlisle tires is the reason I ordered them for my skid steer. "Guard Dog" is the line with the thick sidewall protecting the rim and bead area. Not much harder or durable than a rubber band used on a newspaper roll. Several cuts and abrasions working  in my gravel driveway at the shop. Got one sidewall against the state highway asphalt which is higher than the gravel and it peeled the rubber off to the sidewall cord. 

These were a Christmas gift from my family and I ordered the tires and new rims as they were USA made and mounted together. Less than a year in I found a railroad spike from where the former barn once stood so replaced the tire without further consideration but the flats without puncture, and tearout of the lugs have soured me on the brand. These have less than 500 hours on them and about 1/2 worn. The original Galaxy "Beefy Baby" tires went just shy of 1800 hours in the same service by the same operator on the same property for comparison. 

FWIW in comparison. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Found this on the internet regarding Beet Juice:

And something about both calcium chloride, and beet juice:

Thank you !
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:13am
Brought the tractor out of the storage garage yesterday around to inside the shop. Going to remove the rear tires and transport them to the tire shop to be broken down. I can then sandblast and repaint the rims and may need to repair one at the valve stem area as it looks compromised and very weak to me. I'm still likely to stay with Firestone, or go with BKT, and am not settled yet. Talked to the tire dealer yesterday who sells both, so just a choice to be made. We've been friends a long time so will be treated right regardless.

He tells me the calcium is still a very popular product and they install more of it than the beet juice which is probably from an "up front" cost perspective. I'd rather not have the corroded rims problem and tubeless tires myself, so planning to go with beet juice. The weight difference is negligible to me.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:37am
16.9's will work on 13" rims, but if you find a set of 15" rims it will spread them out nice and wide without any rounding. I have a set on my WD45 on 15" rims and a set on my D17 wiht 13 or 14's (I think 14's) and the 15 rims fit a lot nicer.
Depend on how bad your current rims are rotted around the valve
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:58am
Thank you and I agree. My front tires are rounded as I didn't go with wider rims with the wider and taller tires. I'm not really getting the benefit of the four rib fronts as only the two center ribs are usually in touch with the ground so this is to be addressed also. The 7.50-16 tire was the smallest I could find with the four rib pattern at the time.

Planning to keep this tractor and pass it to the next generation so going to do it right. Girls are just getting to the point they can operate it safely, so time to dress up a bit.  Maybe next year ole grandpa probably won't need to mow so much..... 
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 10:20am
Hard to tell from the picture. Does it have power adjust rims?
In the classifieds section, there is an online auction listed in Southers ILL. It ends in 2-3 days and has a set of 16.9x28 and 18.4x28 tires on spinout rims. So far they are only like $5
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 2:18pm
No spin out rims. Six loop type on the rear and I think six lug on the front. I want to say the fronts are 5-1/2 wide and need a 6-1/2 but that's from a not so good memory.

I'll look at the auction if I can find it this evening. Have a manlift kicking me square right now getting a cylinder extracted from the telescoping boom.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 8:31pm
Think I found a used set of rims in the warehouse that will fit. They are orange so assume from an Allis but appear to be the six loop style I need. Didn't have a tape measure and no electric lighting or flashlight with me. I'll look closer tomorrow. No good tires however as the ones mounted are quite worn. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 1:00am
Not updated this and meant to. I broke the tire down and patched both the tube, and booted the interior of the tire. The rim is extremely rough and pitted and I know it won't take a blasting without blowing through in several places so going to replace with new in the first 1/4 of the new year. Have settled on the BKT tires and the original Firestones are six ply so will probably stay with that rating as only mow with the tractor and don't really carry much on the three point. It will be ballasted again however as the stability afforded cannot be compromised. 

The used rims I found weren't good enough for new tires in my opinion. They had calcium in them are were pretty corroded on the interior also. One was actually a modification to a wedge clamp type rim and had the loops welded in by a novice. They held so cannot fault that, but didn't look the best. 

So for now I'm on the hunt for new 16.9-28 tires and 15X28 rims in six loop style. Don't need the expense this 1/4 but the new year is right around the corner.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 7:27am
Over the many years of antique tractor fixin, I've saved many a pretty rough inside of a rear rim with 2 or three layers of duct tape wrapped around the wheel to protect the tube from rubbing damage (after a heavy electric wire brushing off the scale/rust). Now, none of mine were ever a "working" tractor and no fluid, but if the rim looked pretty good on the outside, I seldom threw it away from inside pittting. Duct tape to the rescue !!!

Edited by DrAllis - 22 Dec 2023 at 8:02am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:10am
I have actually seen that done Doc. Never really knew of success, or failure with the practice in honesty. My rims are pitted badly around the loops too so not really certain it would hold up. I'm going to blast the rim today and have one off that 3020 also to do. I don't have a pump for the fluid so hanging from my skid steer fork up in the air captured into five gallon buckets. 5/16" fuel line slipped over the valve stem makes a great discharge tube into the buckets. Calcium is not going back in so not worried about hydraulic, or transmission oil contamination in the buckets. Local tire dealer says they'll take the calcium if I don't find another way to get rid of it.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:43am
Codger, I have a pair of basically new, 15X28" 6 loop rims, with 8 bolt centers I would sell. You might want to paint them as they are currently yellow, came off a deere of some sort. Found a picture  of one, while I was removing the tires.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 22 Dec 2023 at 8:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic