This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zip tie causes grief

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zip tie causes grief
    Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 6:36pm
Finally got around to fixing the shifting problem on my 7580 today, and it turned out to be nothing more than a broken zip tie! A zip tie is what was used to hold the end of the shifter cable end in the slot. Guess it must be factory, and it did last a long time, so I just replaced it, only with 2 zip ties this time. What a long drive home the other day in 1st gear  for nothing more than a broken zip tie. Darrel
Sponsored Links

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:27pm
Yup we found out that with our 7045!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:40pm
Same thing on the 8050 this past winter. The little wire rusted in two and cable fell out. Would shift from high to low but would not go into park. Not real safe.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:44am
My 7020 won't go into park.  Where does this zip tie go?  Maybe that is my problem as I can go from low to high as well.
smokey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 5:02am
You'll need a big phillips screw driver, and a 1/2 or 9/16, take the side panel off right hand side of seat on the console, then you can see the linkage, if I'am reading this right had to replace the cable on my 7000 last fall, not to bad.
But you may need to adjust your linkage or your cab mounts get bad it will mess things up, I'am sure that someone has more input on this.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:40am
Double stran of galvinesed electric fencer wire works good. Not as pretty but works longer.
     MACK
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:47am
Might want to use black zips.  They are UV rated, and will last longer outside than the white, or other colors!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:10am
Yep black ones are best and another spot is for hydraulic cables on the valve stack.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:39am
I'll third that.  White zips are only good for garbage bags.  Black for everything else.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:09pm

Ours broke under the cab, so out comes the seat and floorboard. We didn't realize how much dust and moisture had collected under the cab. It was definitly time to clean it out.

Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:52pm

Same thing on an 8070 PS High/low range lever.

boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:01pm
Hey Darrell got my 190 going  good , gov needed adjudtment now it works good. thanks.
1959 D 17 gas , 1964 190 gas, 1965 190xt gas AC 4bottom slat plow, 6 row 30in #72 planter Im not getting bigger my cloths are just getting smaller.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:37pm
Glad to hear your 190 is running good, Boscoe! As for the zip ties, I did use the blacks. The one that broke was black also, but it was about 10 degrees below 0 the day it broke, so it may have been a little brittle, and it had lasted at least 8 years, because that's how long I've owned the tractor, and I've never changed it before. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic