This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zink Oil Additive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zink Oil Additive
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 8:46am
A previous post about oil got me to thinking about the recommendation to use a zink additive to oil in old engines. Any documentation exist to support it? 
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:36am
The common slippery zinc additive has been reduced in the latest gas engine oils because it can damage the catalytic converter if there's oil consumption and most recent automotive engines have roller cam followers, not sliding cam followers. As far as I know, diesel oils still have a full dose of the zinc additive or an equivalent. And most of those diesel oils also carry a gas engine rating.

Oil makers claim their latest oil is good for engines of all ages in that department, some racers and vintage engine rebuilders disagree, having had rapid camshaft wear with the lower zinc oils.

There have been web pages and blogs on the topic, but I don't have any links at hand today.

Gerald J.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:57am
From what I know, zinc is generally best for providing additional lubrication in engines that have short moments of high RPMs. Zinc tends to "stick" to metals and it provides a sacrificial layer of protection during short moments when there are high revolutions and not enough oil flow to lubricate during the revolutions.

Zinc is also a poison. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the EPA had a hand in the reduction of zinc in motor oils. As for catalytic converters, diesels use them now too. In a nutshell, I doubt that zinc would be of much value in a slower older tractor engine. The usual questions I've always seen in regard to older engines is: detergent or non-detergent?

bitburn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:11pm
I believe the EPA is lowering Zinc and phosphate content mostly due the toxicity to aquatic life.  Zinc is an essential mineral for humans, but toxic in large quantities.

I have also seen rumors that diesel oil ZDDP levels have also been reduced.
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:41am
They were when the new rating came out for the trucks with cats.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 2:58pm
High levels of zinc are needed for high lift (racing) camshafts----especially when they are being broken in.  That's hardly the case with an old tractor engine--------either worn or freshly rebuilt.  However, you can go to an oil manufacturer's website (at least the good oil manufacturers) and find their oil specs including zinc content.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 3:33pm
yeap just needed for cam break in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic