This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zerk fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zerk fitting
    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:00pm
Removed a damaged Zerk fitting. Discovered it was a press in. Are these still available and what size should it be. As always thanks.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:40pm
Google is your friend, pull the fitting, get size from a dial caliper, then order.  My suggestion would be McMaster-Carr...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
There are several different sizes, so the question is not what size it should be, but what size is the one you need.  DiyDave has given you good info about McMaster where you can see the sizes, and order from if you want after measuring.

You may be able to find them at your local NAPA (or other parts store), or equipment dealer.  They may well have a selection of them.  Between your measurement and taking the old one with you to match to you should be able to get one.
Kruger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:43pm
Thanks gentlemen.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:58am
They don 't really press in. More like tap in wiht a hammer. They have little barbs on them. You can Find them at tractor, NAPA or about any farm store. I don't like them, becasue when you're gun gets stuck on one and you pull hard, they tend to pull out.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 8:04am
I get mine from the local JD shop if I bring in the old one they get me the correct size new one. they come in a box with a bunch of sizes that look the same. but one will stay in the rest don't fit correctly you have to tap pretty hard to seat them.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:01am
     Depending on what it is I have drilled and threaded the hole then used a standard screw in fitting. I don't like the drive in fittings.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:09am
Yeah I had two drive in ones on my old Knoedler seat and the local machine shop that pressed the pin out drilled and tapped me a hole for the small threaded ones. Way better.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:47am
Drill/tap/install threaded one ------ problem solved forever!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:22am
Mass production at its finest. Save time and money. Pound em' in, don't screw em' in, takes to much time to screw em' in!  OR don't put em' in at all. Fords better idea!  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:56am
I HATE press in zerks!! On my bean planter, (800 cyclo) it had two broken ones. Disassemble the lift-assist wheels. Drill, tap for pipe threads and reassemble. Don't remember how long that took but quite awhile. Screwing out the old ones, cleaning the bad grease out of the holes and screwing new zerks in wouldn't have taken long at all!
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:14am
Would they have had press in zerks on the front spindle of a D17 IV?  I couldn't get the grease gun off of a zerk on one of the spindles and the zerk just pulled out.  I didn't realize it could have been a press in until this happened.  I did manage to force it back in but this sure caught me by surprise and I was going to blame things on a bad grease gun, but . . .
Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:08am
The only tractor with grease zerks on the front wheel spindles was on my dad's IH F-20. I've added zerks to a couple of my tractors.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:57am
The Ol' Man schooled all of us boys on greasing on the farm growing up, if he saw you with a grease gun he would ask where you were go'in & "what are you greasing"? Taught us when little to always wipe the zerk first and leave a dab of grease on it when done. Also not to "over grease".
Replaced press fits on each D-Series front spindle as they came out over the years, plenty of grease on tap and tap slow and straight as you only have one shot if you use the original hole, or you'll be stepping up in size.
Newer 3 and 4-jaw grease gun tips being junk don't help either, spend the money for best ones I can get when replaced and if they act up, install a new end before getting stuck on another zirk but zirks that have been "dinged" enough to slightly change their shape has to be watched for as well.
Jeez, you'd think a zirk in a 50+ year old tractor spindle would last longer . . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic