This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Youtube: Snap Coupler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youtube: Snap Coupler
    Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 1:52pm
Not comprehensive and not always accurate but still interesting:

CA13092
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 4:01pm
Had to chuckle, the guy has a shed full of Deere's, wearing an IH stocking cap and doing a video about A-C snap couplers.LOL
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 7:36pm
good little video
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 8:42am
Watched this, pretty good. I did leave a comment about the 52 plow at the 2:47 mark. It's a pin-hitch plow that got the farmer 'conversion' to snap-coupler. The one where you just use the original lift links. I harp on this when I see it but no one else seems to care. Those latches are there so that the implement can uncouple in a failure!
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 8:55am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke  <div>Those latches are there so that the implement can uncouple in a failure! <br>[/QUOTE IBWD MIke  
Those latches are there so that the implement can uncouple in a failure!
[/QUOTE wrote:

If that even really works, I don't believe that was the main intent when the snap

If that even really works, I don't believe that was the main intent when the snap coupler system was designed. .

Watch any A-C video about snap couplers and you will see the feaure touted by them was the coupling and uncoupling of attachments without leaving the tractor's seat.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 7:08am
While I was plowing the eye broke. Latches opened and the plow stayed in the ground. The hose to the tail wheel got a little longer.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 8:02am
Brian, My point is that with the pin-hitch style lift links, it WILL NOT STAY IN THE GROUND!! It's going to flip around and hit the operator in the back. Lon has first hand experience with this.

There are other factors involved; How worn out is the hitch in general and the spring in specific?

I've plowed with a 45 and snap-coupler plow quite a bit. Hit some pretty big rocks too. Never uncoupled the plow yet.

Maybe I should just forget about this but it gives the hitch a black eye that I don't think it deserves. Kind of like gear-jumping.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 8:07am
I've plowed with both and feel the snap-coupler is superior to any 3pt hitch on a plow. The fact that the plow can "free-swing" is a huge factor in rocky ground. Far less damage done to a plow if it can move to the side when coming in contact with a rock. Hitching and unhitching is far easier (for most) with snap-coupler. True draft sensing allows for more types of implements to be used too versus top-link sensing keeps you at fully mounted imps only.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 9:27am
“..Brian, My point is that with the pin-hitch style lift links, it WILL NOT STAY IN THE GROUND!! It's going to flip around and hit the operator in the back. Lon has first hand experience with this.”

Same thing happened to my Dad back in the ‘60s. Pin worked it’s way out and the plow flipped exactly like that.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 8:05pm
i had a snap coupler come uncoupled with a two bottom rollover and it never uncoupled the lift latches, i caught it fast enought that when the front of the hitch whent in the ground and the plow stood staight in the air and just about to get me and the seat.    scared me enought i got another tractor to pull the plow back down  i didnt dare try to back up,  all due to a broken spring  i check my bell very regular now
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 12:46pm
Good find, very interesting and lots of cool shots of ads.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 7:54pm
Run a safety chain..... of course I don't practice what I preach. I never heard of the problem until hearing about it on this forum many years ago.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic