This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You're not going to believe this one!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You're not going to believe this one!
    Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:19pm
I restored a '51 CA Allis 35 years ago. At that time I installed 149 cu. in. engine I understood came out of a combine. I've never had my fingers inside this engine. Always ran real good until about a year ago when it began to start hard. Once running it ran good. Had to pull the throttle down past idle to get it to start so I thought it was a carb problem. Rebuilt it with no luck. Then new points, condenser, plugs and wires. No luck. Then compression check, all cylinders at 140 pounds. Pulled the plug out of the intake and had good vacuum. Starting to run out of ideas! Pulled the magneto out and bench tested it and the spark was somewhat weak. Installed a rebuilt mag. No luck, but now I found another problem. The mag is timed right, #1 TDC and FIRE line in the hole, I could only get 10 degrees advance with the slotted adjustment. It should 30 degrees past idle. Now what? Scratched the head for a while and decided what do I have to loose. I pulled the mag and front governor cover and turned the governor gear 1 tooth advanced and guess what, runs great! 30 degrees advance with the mag parallel with the block. Tractor runs great but I'm still wondering what's going on inside this engine???       
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
wonder if the NEW mag  is 1 tooth off on the fiber gear inside the housing ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CA Ron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
I checked the rebuilt mag for alignment a couple times. I was hoping it was that.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:19am
Get ahold of TomMN ..... he has on his web page how to do the timing,
http://www.allis01.com/fossto/44WC/ac-wc-mag-timing.html

But up at Hutch this year he showed a few of us an EASY way to do it!  Had to do with lining up the damper pulley lugs.  I'd rather he told you how he did it, as I'd probably screw it up.  But I'll try............He took everything apart, spun the mag and the engine and then just lined it all up with #1 at the top of the compression stroke and the lugs vertical and the mag horizontal and put it back together.  Fired right up on the second crank.  He forgot to turn off the kill switch on the first pull. LOL

If he's at Hutch again next year, and I'll bet he will be, I'll see if he wants to do it again and make a movie out of it.  It was SOOOoooo simple, I can do it!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm
Nice tractor and loader!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic