This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts on this tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts on this tractor
    Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:29pm
A friend of mine passed away last spring and his son is cleaning up his place and disposing of some of his stuff. One of the things he is going to get rid of is a WD45 that A.J. put a 353 Detroit in. I had a very small part in building this tractor and it was A.J.'s so I think I would like to add it to my collection.

Problem is, that I hate pricing other peoples stuff. I have a number in mind but the parts and pieces on this thing are worth more than the completed tractor. I only have a couple of pictures but I will post one. Would you guys give me your thought on this beast?

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:40pm
I always have thought a 2-71 into a unstyled WD was my idea but the 3-71 into a WD has to be a real challenge. 
 Your right the 3-71 running is a value higher than the WD and together I am not sure of what the price would be. 
 same as a 2-71 as i have a unit setting here that I am unsure of what all it needs to get running but the head if good is worth over what I want for full unit. But to buy a running engine is worth 4 times the cost of head. 
 Would like to see a few more pictures , and for value I would have no idea what to ask or offer someone. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:13pm
Not sure of value, but if you get it keep plenty of oil dry and ear plugs around!!
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:12pm
If it isnt running, a bit more than any non running WD....not cheap to get back running with that 3-53
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:21pm
If I were the son of your friend AJ I would want you to have the tractor. Any token amount of money would be OK, unless the estate is needing to justify the sale. I would hope the son would value your friendship with AJ  and consider that in sale price. I would be honest and offer what your heart say's it worth as it sit's, not considering value of engine/parts separate from the "project" that it was started by his dad. 
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Chris/CT Chris/CT wrote:

If I were the son of your friend AJ I would want you to have the tractor. Any token amount of money would be OK, unless the estate is needing to justify the sale. I would hope the son would value your friendship with AJ  and consider that in sale price. I would be honest and offer what your heart say's it worth as it sit's, not considering value of engine/parts separate from the "project" that it was started by his dad. 
Chris, you and I are on the same page and I think A.J.'s son is reading our book because he wants me to have the tractor because it keeps the memory of his dad alive for someone else.

You guys would have appreciated A.J. He was an onery old fart but loved to tinker in his shop and build stuff. Given enough time he couls make anything work and if he didn't have a part he made it.

I don't have anymore pictures of this tractor that are any better than the one I posted, but I will put up a picture of one of his other projects that used a Thermo-King refer motor. It will give you a pretty good idea what is going on with the tractor that I am wanting.

BrianC,Ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:45pm
John; I would like to see the pics of the tractor with the Thermo King in it. We bought a reefer trialer for storage, and I thought that the 4 cyl diesel would make a neat swap into something. I remember posting on the old forum about the motor, but no one knew what hp it would be or if you could put some sort of goveror on it.

Brian
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D15 Series II puller, D15 Series II with loader, 608 Lawn Tractor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
Brian, apparently my photo file is full and I haven't been able to delete any pictures so I can post a picture of the Thermo-King tractor. A.J. had 3 of them, and they sounded like a refer running through the field. They must have had plenty of horsepower because he ran a backhoe loader with one of them.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
I think I would offer between $500 and $1000 for it. A lot less then it's worth as parts but how many people really want such a machine or for that matter, all the parts if they have to take it apart.  I passed along a few of my folks things to their friends after they were gone.  In most cases the friends were more attached to the gifts then I was.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:23pm
Big John, I think whatever you have on your mind to offer for that project would be an honest one knowing you. And I'm sure AJ's son would appreciate you finishing his Dad's project. If anybody were to finish it, it would be you! Go for it!
Steve@B&B
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:52pm
Since the two of you appear to be on good terms  I would just go and ask him what he thinks would be a fair price then take it from there either he will shoot you a fair price or you may find out how far apart you are.  Or you could ask him if there are any other things in the estate that you could help him with and maybe work out a deal.

Edited by DanWi - 15 Jan 2012 at 9:55pm
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 7:05am
I have been there. I helped a friends wife dispose of his collection a few years back. I was able to retain two of his tractors.One of them was an RC that I had chased around the country trying to buy before he bought it. It is nice to have some tractors to remember them by. I do regret not buying an early WD that belonged to his Dad, but it did go to a good home just up the road at Cameron, Mo.   Dave.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 8:11am
John,  I have a sililar type deal sitting in the back of my barn. A Farmall that dad installed a Chevy engine and we farmed with for several years (when gas was 29 cents, LOL) Darned valuable tractor to me and maybe my sons but such tractors have little value outside of personal attachments. I would expect it to bring scrap value at an auction. Offer what you feel good about,  then you will feel good no matter if they accept it, or decline it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by BrianC,Ont BrianC,Ont wrote:

John; I would like to see the pics of the tractor with the Thermo King in it. We bought a reefer trialer for storage, and I thought that the 4 cyl diesel would make a neat swap into something. I remember posting on the old forum about the motor, but no one knew what hp it would be or if you could put some sort of goveror on it.

Brian
Here you go Brian, I was finally able to get some room in my photo file.

This is the one with the loader/backhoe on it.

Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 1:13am
I have a isuzu motor and a engineless WD also waiting for the same thing to happen. Thanks for posting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic