This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

your opinion of value on AC tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your opinion of value on AC tractor
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:48pm
A guy wanted to know if I was interested in his 190 XT Diesel  for parts or fix , has  cab , runs real good,  overall good condition. Trans problem pops out of all gears except for reverse, he said it is because a shaft is broken in trans , does this sound right , would it be a large job to fix  , whats it worth? and what do you think?
1959 D 17 gas , 1964 190 gas, 1965 190xt gas AC 4bottom slat plow, 6 row 30in #72 planter Im not getting bigger my cloths are just getting smaller.
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:15pm
If it jumps out of every gear, I would not go over $2500.  For trans and rear end repairs, You'll be looking at an extra $2000 (give or take) to spend.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
brettIA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:20pm
before you go any further check if reverse has both high & low speeds , that is a whole different amount of money to fix besides the tranny!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 1:05am
All right, I did not sell or service a 190 but if the transmission is similar to a constant mesh WD45 and D series tractors it is the gears and collars of a constant mesh transmission.  That is still a heavy duty overhaul job.  Also, be certain you listen carefully to what Brett says.  I cannot confirm but that sounds serious.
In any event let us know what you do and what you find if you buy it.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 7:05am
Well with out seeing the tractor ,knowing more about it $1500.oo .Unless tires are all good ,front end tight ,etc. etc. etc.  .How many Hours on engine? . Did he have it checked out to know what shaft is broken?.
If you can not do the work yourself $2000.oo to $2500.oo is not going far .The unknowen can kill your piggy bank. Or make it a dead horse!
I will not give a price on fixing these tran's unless I have the tractor in the shop with top off trans ,then you still do not know everything you need, until it is totaly apart !
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 7:11am
Be great for blowing snow ! Seriously, inside could cost big bucks!! I have no knowledge of what's in there, just know from experience, things always are busted worse and cost more than anyone's crystal ball says !!
If cheap enough, great for parts, or if you can hold on, find one with a good tranny,blown engine, and make one good tractor....?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 8:03am
If it jumps out of all gears, 2000 won't buy all the gears. Never saw a shaft broke in a 190 trans.   MACK
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:35am
If my memory serves me a new 3rd gear for a 190 was around 500 bucks 10 years ago...that's just one gear!  Another thing to consider is tearing it apart to even get at the trans, it's a pain in the rear.  I think you have to take the entire rear end apart and pull the main shaft of the transmission out through the rear housing to get the gears off the main shaft, my point is that it's a really big job and takes alot of time and alot of money when you start replacing gears anywhere in those transmissions.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:45am
1,400-1,800 depending on variables as noted by others. Here's something to remember, not all the gearing,shafts, etc will need replacing [ well, maybe not ALL the parts] one can assume some of the trans. parts are OK to re-use. Some folks get hung-up on having everything new, I have seen top notch AC mechanic[s] re-use parts in good working condition. One big factor is the time investment, do you have better things to be doing?? 
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:12pm
If we can agree with a price i will post pics and other info, it has a cab and would like that for my 190, its cold and snowing here again 9 months of winter nice to have cab.
1959 D 17 gas , 1964 190 gas, 1965 190xt gas AC 4bottom slat plow, 6 row 30in #72 planter Im not getting bigger my cloths are just getting smaller.
Brad(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 7:06am
I bought used gears for my 180 trans.  I believe I paid around $150 each, and were like new.  You don't need to buy new stuff for an old tractor, unless you plan on using it daily and working it hard.  I would still go with used.  Might be able to buy a complete trans at a scrapyard for a good price.  Call one up and get an idea on price and availability.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:54am
i have a 190xt that i use for parts now so i have the parts its just a matter of how big of job it would be , to me its hard to imagine every gear is bad,i would guess it is something else, but i dont know. i would be doing the repairs myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic