This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

your most favorite tractor find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis6080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your most favorite tractor find
    Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm
ok folks, what is your most favorite tractor find or "the fresh out of the barn find" that you have ever made? I sure would like to hear your stories!!

thanks allis6080
6060 s\n 5016

1947 JD B
Sponsored Links

split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 1:38pm
 My 2nd model E was my best barn find. It's not as nice as my 1st E but was found 20 miles from my house and the price was right.

1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 1:55pm
1938 UC with the 2 ribbed fenders, starter, and lights. It sat in a barn for 10 years. The man wouldn't sell it to me, so my dad went behind my back and kept after him from time to time. Then one day out of the blue, the man called dad and they made their deal. Dad gave it to me for a birthday present.

I have now found the 8" Guide head and tail ligts, HD powerlift / PTO, and the generator and bracket. (FYI the HD powerlift uses a different PTO shaft then the stardard powerlift)
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm
Found a beautiful originial D-12 in a guys garage for $1650 about 16 years ago. Drove by a hobby farm one day and saw a D-17 from the road. Drove in to talk a little. Told him to call if he every wanted to sell. A year later I owned a great originial D-17 iv diesel. On the way to pick up the D-12, I stopped at a salvage yard and spotted a Unstyled Speed Maintainer grader unit on a Farmall H. Bought the whole thing and when I went to pick it up, I walked the yard and found a WC wide front for $175 100 ft from the gate. Traded the Farmall H for a D-14 with power steering. Traded a WF for an unstlyed WC to mount the speed maintiner on. Going to a jobsite about 600 miles from home, I saw a TL-W loader at the road for sale. It was on the next load home. Traded a used snowblower to a dealer for a WD-45 diesel he said didn't run. The injector pump was not installed correctly. A lot more good stories. This a big part of the fun of the hobby and all the characters that I meet along the way!
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:39pm
Calvin, you have the best luck! If I had bought that 45 diesel, it wouldn't run again til I had replaced everything AND the block! LOL!
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:50pm
My uncle called one day and said he found a 45Diesel for sale.  Turns out it came from my Granddad's and Uncle's dealership, of course my uncle knew it, and I got a great running 45D for $1500. I drove it the 2 miles to my uncles shop that day.  When I found my 45 Distillate that was a great day as well.  And then last Thanksgiving, my uncle gave me a WD that my Granddad sold new, and the buyer later brought it back to have my uncle install factory power steering on it. I am thinking of putting the 445 loader with front auxillary pump on it.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:51pm
My 180 diesel.  A friends grandpa had it and he told me about it, but I really wasn't considering it because I didn't know what I would do with it.  Decided to go look at it anyway and when I saw that it had great potential and had a fair price I thought I couldn't go wrong, haven't regretted buying it yet.  Probably never will.  It has found plenty of work to do around here thats for sure.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
BrianC,Ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:05pm
A guy told my dad about an orange tractor beside a farmers barn. He thought it might be an older Kubota, couldn't see it very good because of the weeds were so high. Dad called me later that night to tell me that there were 2 6080 fwd sitting at the farm. The farmer had bought both of them on Dec 29 1985. They are very close to the end of production. One had a cab and a rebuilt motor and the other one was an open station with no motor or hood. $!300 for the pair, including trucking to get them home. That deal kind of makes up for the $1750 we paid for the early 35 WC on steel. Also found a D17 black bar grill with a blown motor and a mint 305 Henry loader. When we went pick it up, we bought a Ford pickup, a Chev van and a smashed up 2000 GMC truck from the guy. We made almost enough off of scrap and selling parts to pay for the D17.
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D15 Series II puller, D15 Series II with loader, 608 Lawn Tractor
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:10pm

About 1970 I was scrounging the junkyards to put my first car together and came across this old junker, not the XT, the udder one, LOL.

My favorite as it was the only one we had when dad was still alive. Price was steep. Weighed the trailer going in and weighed it loaded x scrap price.
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:16pm
Heard about an old orange tractor with a tree growing thru it way down in the woods. Finally tracked it down and went for a look. ED 40 with a broken right rear housing ,kinda leaning over ,with bushes and small trees all over it.  Guy  said his brother in law had hooked chain around axle and tried to use that like a winch to pull stuck tractor out!!!  5+ years ago!!After he showed me a complete RH housing I bought it.Two days ,2 batteries,5 gals diesel and alot of penetrating oil   drove it out to the road.Worked it with a 6foot bushog for years .
1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 10:30pm
  My Son found an  "E" 25_40 in the paper, asked Thurday night if he would hold it until Friday night, said yes we drove fast, got there saw the tractor with all the whistles and bells, this was IT,   When he came out and inquired if we came for this tractor, YES!   he sold it that morning.      Now for the best of the story  He had an auction a couple yrs later  we bought 2 "U"s  "WC' grader, and an "E" Cheap, and on the second load he was pushing the   E   "steel wheels" up the ramps, kept saying that I didn't have to take it, and I said just KEEP PUSHING!!
Wendell(OK/TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendell(OK/TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:56am
Actually my wife found my best one.  I was coming in from Dallas and She was shopping garage sales.  Called me and asked if a D-15 was what I had been looking for?  Next evening we were hauling a D-15II LPG with factory 3 pt and a brush hog to the house.
acgman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 3:32pm
  A G and four implements that were on an island in the Mississippi that did not flood.
acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 5:47pm
My WD45 diesel that was setting in a city of over 100,000  population in a industrial area
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:10pm
Mine would have to be the 1955 WD45 that dad bought new.  Also the first tractor I drove.  I was 6, couldnt reach the brake pedals.  I still have it.  The next would be the 1939 B with the belly mower.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:12pm
Well I am hoping that in a few months from now I will be telling y'all it was my 190XT III which I just paid cash for but can't get it home till the snow melts and the steep mountain side dries up. I paid a little more than scrap price!
tractorchuckie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorchuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:29pm
Mine was about two years ago when an friend for the allis club here in Ontario call me late sunday night and said he got an email about an A for sale north of me. He didn't want it and though I sould have it. Well I didn't get much sleep that night and called about it Monday am and it came home two weeks later. Thanks calivin.
still looking for the holy grail of Allis
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:32pm
I've found two AC tractors while bicycling in the area by my house (I'm staying in shape, haha). One is a WC sitting in a fencerow that would need a lot of work. The other is a WC/WD/WD45 (can't tell because it's too far back from the road). I'm going to stop and ask the guy about that tractor next week and see if he wants to sell it. It's amazing how much more stuff you notice when you're on a bike.

I'd really like to get either tractor because both of them were probably from the old local Allis dealership, and I think it would be neat to have a tractor from there.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:50am
Chuck, You are way too kind! The next best thing to great finds, is finding things for other people. It's a lot cheaper too!!!
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
The 35 WC A guy gave me to haul away, and that my friends from the AC Jamboree restored for me during the 10th show.  There will be a story in OAN on it eventually.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Eddie(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 2:19pm

I'm not sure what it is about a narrow front D19, that trips my trigger, but I just had to have one. I got lucky and found this one a couple years ago near Louisville, KY.  We've rebuilt the motor, with a few added touches, and I hope it's near 100 hp when it dynos. I hope to get it painted this year...though I doubt I can have it ready for Dale's show.

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Eddie(IL) Eddie(IL) wrote:

I'm not sure what it is about a narrow front D19, that trips my trigger, but I just had to have one. I got lucky and found this one a couple years ago near Louisville, KY.  We've rebuilt the motor, with a few added touches, and I hope it's near 100 hp when it dynos. I hope to get it painted this year...though I doubt I can have it ready for Dale's show.

I think most tractors look best with a narrow front end! And that d19 looks good!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 3:53pm
Dont worry about the paint Eddie, bring it to Dale's any way. Be a great one to look at.
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
Mine would be the 35 WC that my SIL showed me while we were mushroom hunting his grandpas timber. I got it home a few weeks later and have been tinkering with it ever since.

She was pretty rough everywhere but it was Leroy's first tractor and it was one of the first rubber tired tractors in the area.
Ted, what is the serial number of you WC? I have pictures of Butches boys while I was helping them swap out your tranny.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:09am
Hand's down. My Year 1919 ,Model E  18-30 ,I now have everything I  need to restore except sheet metal and it is just a phone call and a trip away to get the new made.
As Larry Swenson told me one day .Just how many Pre 1920 Tractor are still out there VERY FEW !
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:12am
BTW ,My L 15-25 would #2 ,then # 3  my 20-35 longfender then # 4 my WC Mantainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic