This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Dream plane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Dream plane
    Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:21am
This is mine   North American P51-D. both are for sale top one 1.4 mill, bottom one 2.145 mill. Id just settle for a ride once.
Cowboy UP
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:19am
My dad had a chance to buy one for $10K, including a years worth of fuel and all the dual needed to get him solo'd! that was back in the mid '50's though! should'a, could'a, would'a! oh well!
to be fair to dad though, that $10 grand probably relates to in excess of $100K today
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Eddie(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:50am

The P-51 is without a doubt, a spectacular piece of engineering and design. We have a collector at the Vermilion County Airport, here at Danville, that has a P-51, along with a P-47 and an AT-6. My folks live just a mile from the airport, and you can here that Merlin coming long before you see the plane. We hired the owner a couple of years back, to take my father up for his birthaday in the 51, and he still raves about what a ride it was!

I still prefer the big bombers of that era, the B-17, 24, and 29. Every couple of years a group flies in a 17 and a 24 for viewing and rides. Here's some pics I took of my favorite, the B17 on take-off from the airport here in Danville.

Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:14am
If I could have any plane right now I'd take an A-10 Warthog.  Maneuverable, very durable and relatively inexpensive to fly.  Wouldn't hurt if it came with a few of them there bullets either.  Course, I like the Beech Super III's too.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:14am
My Dad put in a lot of hours in the B-17, P-38 and I believe C46 (He flew over 30 missions 'over the hump' to China during WWII.  He flew 37 types of aircraft in his career.
He said the P-38 was by far the one he enjoyed flying the most.  That said, he believes the P-38 is what probably cost him his flying status due to hearing problems.  The cockpit sits right between the engines.  It was real noisy.

My brothers and I once wanted to buy him a ride in a B-17 so we could see him in it, but he said no, that there is no way he would pay money to fly in something they used to pay him to fly.

Edited by Greg (Hillsboro, OH) - 01 Mar 2011 at 11:15am
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:57pm
I like a F4U in Marine blue. I'd need a big fuel budjet to go with it. I guess I'll just stay with the PA 20 and C150 that I already have.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 01 Mar 2011 at 1:01pm
jmm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 1:04pm
supermarine spitfire!!
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 1:08pm
I SAW ON  military channel last fall (sometimes they run free for a cpl days ).. it said the P51 .. was chosen best of the best .. they even included the new jets of today and all military planes from other countries ...
my favorite will always be the B 17 
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 2:23pm
How many on here have their pilots license? I have Single engine land, Day and night, but never took my instrument test.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:02pm
I love the Corsair and it's gull wing design.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:06pm
When I get the money, or rather, when my parents are able to hold up their end of the deal (that started in the beginning of HS, I'm in college now) I will finish my flight instruction, take my test, and get my license. 

I would just love to have the plane my grandfather flew in to canada every year. A very good family friend was a pilot and owned the plane. Dad located it a few years ago and found it was owned by another local flying family that were very well known aviators. It happened to be for sale, sadly the timing just wasnt right, as he had bought a motorcycle the week before. It was later sold and is currently on long island. I'm going to contact the owners at some point and ask to have first right of refusal.

If you ever see N2765K, say Hi to it for me. It's a Luscombe 8E. What I wouldn't do to have that thing...
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:15pm
Commercial Pilot, Single Engine Land, Single Engine Sea, Multi Engine Land, Instrument Airplane... Sadly, I can't work for 14,000.00 a year...

And this would be mine....

Edited by MilesGray (CO/KS) - 01 Mar 2011 at 3:28pm
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:27pm
I hear you Miles. I was 18 and on top of the world. Was gonna see the world on somebody elses dime....

I had the chance to piggy back on some charters and realized the job meant flying other people cool places and waiting around for them to finish having fun.  Decided just to do enough to have fun myself, and figured if it was bad enough to need instruments, I didn't want to be up there!  LOL

And I loved the B25.............

Edited by GlenninPA - 01 Mar 2011 at 3:29pm
BLee Mn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:29pm
Commercial SEL, this is what i used to fly
Cowboy UP
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:30pm
Nothing better than the sound of that Merlin engine wound tight.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:35pm
An Instrument rating is a good thing to have, it allows you to get above a cloud deck, or through one if you need to land. I'll never forget the first time I popped out on top of the fluffy white clouds, it was the second best thing ever, after getting my license.
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:43pm
Av Gas is 5.38/Gallon in Wichita for Self Serve... within the last 30 days... guess I'll keep driving nine hours each way!

Texas Allis - Except for the sound of the round engines... but they both give me goose bumps!

Edited by MilesGray (CO/KS) - 01 Mar 2011 at 3:46pm
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:14pm
I love the Mustang!! Very beautiful airplane.. But you also have to give credit to the P-40 Warhawk for being a mean fighter and doing the part of the P-51 until they put the Rolls Royce Merlin in it.

P-51D

P-40

1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:21pm
Fastest P47 (K?) was faster than the fastest P51, but the Mustang was prettier and got all the attention.  Same with the B24 v B17.
I read Bob Johnson's "Thunderbolt" - he was one of the top aces and did it all with a P47.  Good book.  One tough plane, kinda big and homely though.  Kinda reminds me of one of my old girlfriends....
cheers
Creek
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:42pm

I didn't remember reading the P47 was faster but it's been a while since I studied these WWII war birds. WWII airplanes used to be my favorite topic until I got the Allis bug. My favorite used to be the P51 but cause it seemed to be everybodies favorite I think it might now be the P38 Lightning.

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Creek Jenkins Creek Jenkins wrote:

Fastest P47 (K?) was faster than the fastest P51, but the Mustang was prettier and got all the attention.  Same with the B24 v B17.
I read Bob Johnson's "Thunderbolt" - he was one of the top aces and did it all with a P47.  Good book.  One tough plane, kinda big and homely though.  Kinda reminds me of one of my old girlfriends....
cheers
Creek
From what I've read on the B24 was that it wouldn't take the beating a B17 would and still make it home. I just like them all and have lately gottin interest in the Japan zero and the formidable German 109 and 190 and the Russian Yaks.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:51pm
No real reason but I wanted one like this one, Aerospatiale Tobago.  Not much more than a Cessna 172, just looks sleaker.  I have my sinlge engine land, seems so long ago, took one cross country in a Cesna 150, felt like I could have walked there faster.

Edited by JW in MO - 01 Mar 2011 at 5:52pm
BLee Mn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:55pm
they said if you want to come back from a mission , fly a P47, if you want to get the girls, fly a P51. Wonder if they ever got all the "Ghost Squadron" 38s lifted out of the ice in the artic?
Cowboy UP
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:04pm
I guess I'm an oddity. For the old planes, I'm a B-17 guy. For modern, F-15's my choice. Just for the heck of it. A U-2. That would be pretty cool to be up that high in the atmosphere. Either that or a C-17. 
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:05pm
here's a picture of an SBD Dauntless i took today on the carrier Yorktown in Charleston, on my way home from the goto.  there's a corsair behind it, but i don't have a picture.  so all you guys who like the warbirds, make plans now to come to world war 2 week-end in reading, pa., the first week-end in june.  you'll see a lot of planes, including b24,b17, b25, b29, mustang, corsair, and many others.  check it out on maam.org.

Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:15pm
Favorite Warbirds: Tie between the P40-E Warhawk and the F4U Corsair
Favorite GA Plane: Twin Beach

Since I can't afford the fuel burn for any of those, I fly a Cessna Cardinal RG.

I'm rated single engine land and instrument.
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by BLee Mn BLee Mn wrote:

they said if you want to come back from a mission , fly a P47, if you want to get the girls, fly a P51. Wonder if they ever got all the "Ghost Squadron" 38s lifted out of the ice in the artic?

I thought they only retrieved the one now known as Glacier Girl.  That's the first one I'd seen at Oshkosh in a long time.
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:43pm
Oh, I just remembered one. I want to change my vote..SR71

1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:45pm
I had thought about that one. Must be nice to burn less fuel the faster you go!
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm

Of course it'd have to be an F4U Corsair.  

But I love the first pic here as well...the P51D.....and add B17G's and P47N to my list of favorites.

Mike 

1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic