This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet another Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another Shop Talk
    Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:34am
So here's a new flavor of "Shop Talk".  I've been considering this for quite some time, and a variety of circumstances prevented me from making this move, but opportunity and circumstance presented itself, and I jumped in...

INterestingly enough, I had very little to go on... I'm certain other guys have done this, but the number of detailed writeups is basically nil.

I have a grain-drying bin that is no longer economical to continue using for grain drying.  It's a Behlen bin, was built around 1963 or so.  It is 27ft in diameter, 20ft tall side walls (5 rings) and about another four feet to the top of the crown.  It has four oval-shaped hatches in the top  It was fitted with a louvered drying floor on wire zig-zag risers, a 10hp blower and propane burner.  There's an extraction auger to withdraw the contents, a sweep-auger to push contents towards the extraction auger.  Hanging from the ceiling is a twin-auger stirrator, and up top is a Scattergrain receiving spinner.  The access door is oval, center elevated about 7ft above the slab.

The bin has a 100A service fed from my main property utility pole, and there's a disconnected and capped, but still intact 1" liquid propane line going to my tank farm.

The access stairway is shot, and from the outside, it shows all the typical corrosion gremlins.  Most of the bottom ring is in surprisingly good condition, with exception of the area immediately surrounding the drying blower duct... there's some missing metal in that area, and the gap is one of many reasons why it was retired from duty. 

It DOES, however, have good structural integrity otherwise, the concrete floor appeared to be uncracked, and it is sufficient in size to serve as a automotive and tractor workshop area.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:46am
Now, when a guy does this kind of thing, it's important to get stuff out of the way.  I found that out... after I did a bunch of the work, because I hadn't done this before, and didn't see anyone else's instructions on it... LOL
But here it is, getting introduced to the Stihl TS-4xx Cutquik, with an abrasive blade:

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:50am
And a little persuasion...
And some combined force between my son and I:

Now, for darned little of this, did I actually have any help... Nick was home over Christmas Break, and had a few minutes to help me, other than that, I was on my own...
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:01am
Next step, was to get some electrical and cutting capacity inside.  I have my big torch kit, and my small welder-generator on a forkliftable 'tote', and I carry it around either on one of my forklifts, or (when the ground conditions aren't favorable) using the fork face 3-point attachment on my D-17:
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:08am
Next, get it fitted up with electricity, because daylight is darned short up here, and temperature ain't warm...

Here's the old drying controls.  I disconnected it's 100A main (after locking out the feeder from the main  pole) unthreaded the conduit, then lifted the cabinet off.

Then I re-piped the conduit into the bin with Schedule 80 PVC:

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:12am
Then it was time to preassemble a breaker panel with two receptacle plugs (a 120v quad, and a 240/50A)...

and then hook it up:

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:17am

Edited by DaveKamp - 23 Jan 2022 at 2:20am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:27am
Next, is to start removing the grain-drying floor.

It takes a special screwdriver to take out all the metal... a #4 phillips, but with tool flats...

As you can see from the discoloration, I just welded a coupling nut to the shank... with an adjustable wrench on this one, taking out the screws is easy.  I broke them loose with this, then zipped 'em out with a 1/4" impact driver.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:37am
Dave, that is a cool project. My late cousin had a property that had 4 or 5 old small bins on it. Think he sold one or two. Made a gazebo out of one and a garage of sorts of another. I wasn't there when he did it but think he cut the 'door' in much the same way you did. I will try to get a pic or two when it warms up, providing I remember to.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:45am

Pulling out the zillion screws holding the sheeting down was somewhat tedious.  I used the big screwdriver with an open-end wrench to break them loose, then used my impact driver to back them rest of the way out, and a bucket for all the fasteners.  They're big sheet-metal screws, and beneath the seam, is a strip of sheet metal about 4ft long, so I've got lots of strips to go with this perforated sheeting...

And while I was working away, we got a little snow...

But with daylight, I was able to drag most of the sheets out.  They're somewhat of a bear to wrestle, as the edges along the radius are fixed to the wall with tiny rusted-out sheet metal screws and fine wire mesh, those screws don't back out, the mesh has to be ripped off.  Once pulled out, the remains of the screws snag on the wire support.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:53am
Eventually, it's clear enough to make other things happen.  The wire supports are clipped together at the top by little metal straps.  I found the best way to disengage those clips, is with a 1-1/4" wrench about 20" long... just hook between the sides, and pry down, the clip deforms and releases (mostly.... usually...)  and sometimes, it leaves at an enthusiastic velocity... straight up...

Now, bein's that there was lots of snow showing up, I scrambled to move several things that either needed to be in this space for future OR... needed to be out of my way somewhere else, to get this done.  The power trowel and welding supplies being in the latter category, the woodburning furnace being in the former.  More on them later.  I'm gradually working my way towards the far side, pulling sheet, unclipping wire.. and working around the extraction auger blocking the middle of the floor...

And this part is kinda like eating an elephant... one bite at a time...

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:58am
The wire is piling up, because my access from outside is somewhat arctic in landscape.

But at this point, I DID find a lovely piece of material and some clamps to cover most of that big hole to keep the snow on the other side (sorta).

At this point, you'll notice that the woodburning furnace is now in a general location where the dryer ductwork comes in.  There's electricity conveniently near, and a concrete pad out there on the other side of the tin wall, more on that later... but for now, if I can get this old bugger to host a fire, it should make my work here more tolerable...

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:13am
So what is the "plan"... work shop with a storage upstairs ?  Due to the size of the door im thinking you plan to work on some equipment inside, so OPEN bay center... tools along the side ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:20am
Cool project, Dave!  Should make a good shop with a little insulation.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:30am
Nice work so far. There is a bin up the road has had similar work done. Tho his is a drive through set up.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:14pm
Thanks, Guys!

My PLAN... is to get some immediately-available flat concrete surface with wind, sun, and precip protection operable for auto and machinery repairs.  None of my other outbuildings have a solid floor, and the driveway in front of my wife's garage, and the gravel driveway, really aren't suitable for real progress on anything.  It will be a while before my machine-shop building is done, and the main building will be even further out, in the meantime, I need the ability to get things fixed independant of Mother Nature and daylight hours, so this will do for now.

The END plan for this building, once everything else is done, is to use it for vehicle repairs, and restoration assembly-disassembly work.  Being round, it's actually very well-suited for access all around.  I will PROBABLY have a 4-post lift in it, and a rotating overhead bridge crane.... the latter being a bit pricey, and totally homemade, but the ultimate for round-room lifting flexibility.

I'll probably do a second-story above it, in which case, the floor would be supported by the same posts that the overhead crane's ring would sit upon.  Use for the space would be questionable... I want this space to have the high ceiling, and with the ring and crane up there, the remaining space won't be volumnous or tall, so I may just relegate it to placement of a large compressed-air tank and dryer-filter system... with a vertical air compressor down on the floor, against the wall.

Insulation... yes, and a sensible vehicle and man door.  I'll probably frame in the inside with steel studs, then have it sprayed with foam, then cover the interior with steel... but for now, I'm just making it useable.

This one is my 'learning experience'... I have one more that is same footprint, but slightly taller, about 150ft to the north.  It sits 4ft from the side of a wood-frame/steel covered grainery building, I'll integrate those two together somehow, and turn THAT one into something special, too
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:27pm
Here's the furnace:
It's nothing particularly special... I acquired it at my favorite price from a friend who bought a house that it was in... and his insurance company didn't like it.  My outlay was  a half-our each way, and time, tools, and muscle required to extract it from the basement of a victorian-era river captain's house...

(which I find quite amusing, because the house had a functional coal chute feeding the coal room next to the furnace room that housed the then-state-of-the-art gravity furnace... that burned...   wood and coal... with only two things about this one being different... this one is square, and has both a forced air blower (rather than just convection) and an electric blower for induction air)

It seemed a daunting and dangerous task for most, I extracted it with an appliance dolly, a strap-type come-along, and two pieces of 2x4 screwed togeter, with carpet scrap stapled tight around it...  it came right up the stairs, all by myself... no prob.  I made the steel frame beneath 1) so I could move it around with pallet forks and 2) so that I wouldn't have to bend over to stoke or clean it. 

It had been sitting for a while, so I DID have to take apart the blowers, oil the motors, and break the stuck shafts free 'till they'd spin up and motor on their own... and currently the control scheme is 'plug it in'...  but I'll get to that later.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:39pm
With the paint burned off I can understand the Insurance Company stand.
I have installed furnaces part time for many years, and was licensed to do so. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 3:38pm
The paint burn wasn't their doing.  It was still shiny new when I got it... it sat for about six months in my pole barn, and a neighbor needed some heat in one of his buildings for the winter.  I'm not certain what he fed it, but I don't think he had the blowers plugged in when he did.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:01pm
Man, you got it made!  Round shop accumulates no sh!t in the corners!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:40pm
A neighbor has been thinking about converting their old slurrystore into a machine shed. They got started on the idea right before the pandemic so with the price and availability of material they haven't gone any farther with their plan to put a roof on it.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Man, you got it made!  Round shop accumulates no sh!t in the corners!Wink

Y'know, even if it was packed full, there'd be NO corners that I COULDn'T get to!  LOLLOL

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:31pm
So, after a couple of weekends of grunty-work, and a few hours of this, that, and the other thing, it picked up rapidly this weekend, and all came together quickly.  I even got my big TIG moved out of the heated garage and into the bin (need space in the garage!) and decided that since the D17 did the hard work, and the floor space was open, there's no reason to make her sleep outside tonight...

Now if I can get the Hyster started, I'll lift the combine tires/wheels unloaded from the trailer, and set 'em in here, get the WD ready to move in, so it can get fitted with some new shoes...  (after I replace the U-joints in my daughter's car)
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:45am
Now that project is real re-cycling!Wink
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:19am
I can tell you are having fun... even though it is 'work'... probably feels good to have all the preliminary work done (screw and stuff removal) so you can start making it the way you want it.     I did a small 500 bushel bin by making it a round top (quansit hut style) used the roof for one end and filled in the other end with door for entrance.  Not big enough for what you are doing but is a small shed.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:30pm
I've considered doing the same thing with an 18' bin I have.  It's near the irrigation pump so I have power available.  Would be a good workshop at the farm, which is 6 miles from my home shop.
At one time I thought about buying a big (40') bin new but with not as many rings, maybe 16' high for a machine shed.  Trying to get any kind of building permitted in this county is usually a 1 year project.  They are easier on grain bins for some reason, maybe they don't think people will convert them into houses.  Anyway, once the final inspection is done, I would cut a door in and use the section cut out as a sliding door.  Another great idea that will not happen...

Edited by JohnColo - 24 Jan 2022 at 1:31pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
I like your idea John, guys usually frame out the door way so they can install a door, if you had some way to make a curved track or maybe just some roller guides you could have a curved door for the opening. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:17am

That is a GREAT idea and project, Dave,,,wisht I had one to use,,,,,
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:31pm
I had that idea a few years ago, but the farmer near by sold it to someone.  He was gonna GIVE it to me.....guess I shoulda went and got it right away.  Oh well, I hope you enjoy yours!
Just remember one day in the future,,,,,,,when you can hardly walk through it,,,,,,,,,,send us a pic then!!LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:09pm
That’s a great 27’ shop!
You may want to use its excess metal panel(s) taken from the main opening & create a front porch roof & side walls (wind breaks) on each side of porch ??
Maybe do spray-on expanding foam insulation onto side walls to conserve heat & also act as a sound absorbsion material.
NOISY!! Sound waves created inside a round grain bin typically concentrate inwards. Keep your hearing safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic