This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yellow B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yellow B
    Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:45pm

The orange paint on my 38 B is flaking and there's yellow underneath. I noticed it when I brought it home and I assumed it had been repainted a few times in it's life. I've started working on it and it looks like it the yellow was the 1st coat. Did they paint any yellow from the factory? It's not a bright yellow, more like road equipment yellow.

Sponsored Links

JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:52pm
primer

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:54pm
yep, primer.. full of lead, and TOUGH stuff. THe PO1 will come off, but the yellow is tight !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hartland Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartland Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:47pm
I have a 1945 C that was bought new by the Weakley Co. TN highway department in 1945. The man I got it from said that he painted it orange but when he first got it it was school bus yellow. When I started taking the orange off sure enough one heavy coat of yellow. The yellow had run down in between the parts and was the first coat. I have heard this discussed before and many say that AC never painted any C's yellow from the factory. But that being said. If this tractor was orange from the factory it was completely taken apart, the orange stripped off,  put back together and painted yellow. I don't think that happened. Or the tractor was primered at the factory in yellow and the highway department used it that way. Or it came from the factory in yellow. Joe
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:51pm
The C we just brought home this summer, is all yellow as well, not a spec of orange on it, I was thinking Highway department as well, it is an early model, with the hand brakes.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
There wasn't any primer used on the tractors with the old lead paint. I'vce sanded and stripped 6 tractors from 39 to 57 and none of them had primer under the paint. One of the advantages of using paint with lead in it. If it is yellow, it was a raod dept tractor.
Bob
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:34am
When I stripped my '48 B it was yellow on the bottom layer and I got it from the original owner.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 6:35am
I have never seen anything next to the metal on any B or C or CA that I have parted out except extreamly faded and discolored PO1 or rust. I would like to here what Ed in NY who has parted out hundreds of Bs and Cs as to say. He should recall if he ever saw anything resembling yellow primer next to the metal. I just do not buy the yellow primer first coat theory. AC did not prime tractors. They painted them assembled with a LEAD based paint that was a metal primer and finish in one coat in a shade of AC Orange known as PO#1. This goes for the cast parts, the forged parts, the nuts and bolts and washers, and the sheetmetal. What happend paint wise after they left the factory paint department is no tellin what.
   I do believe the few Bs sold to the US war department were painted OD Green at the factory. Could be some tractors ordered by city and state governments were painted with something other than PO#1 at the factory. 
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:47am
Ive got a parts CA and it is yellow as the first coat , as far as I knew allis didnt start with the yellow primer until the D series , But this is just what I have seen in person,
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 2:14pm
As an option on the IB's you could pay extra to get them painted any color (within reason) you wanted.  A lot were sold to Counties and States for mowing on the roads and they wanted them painted their colors.
In fact, I saw a bunch of IB's at the Goto In Westminster, MD 1999 and several were painted other colors.
I would imagine on a special order you could get them painted a different color.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:03pm
  I have 48 B ground all the paint of yellow under neath  it was my grandfathers tractor he bought new 
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:28pm

The yellow is most likely primer.

With that said, AC was like any other tractor manuafacturer......but enough tractors and the factory would have made em any color.......
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:29pm
Haven't done "hundreds", but I've got about 30 or so in back, and about 20 more that have already been picked and disposed of, and none had yellow underneath.
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:45pm
 could it be from the paint just being so old or from sitting outside in the sun
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:52pm
I just tore the front off of my D15D and the steering support had yellow under it
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:30pm
I guess it's possible that batches were painted yellow for a large buyer, and then the order was cancelled before delivery, so they sent them back through the line for a coat of orange.
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:48pm
AC started priming when the D series came out
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Todd AL View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Murph-NC Murph-NC wrote:

I guess it's possible that batches were painted yellow for a large buyer, and then the order was cancelled before delivery, so they sent them back through the line for a coat of orange.

Yup, most likely scenario.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:41pm
When you got ONE tractor and you sand thru the layers of paint and find yellow next to the metal you think it must be primer and that they are all that way. That makes sense.
When you have 40 tractors and you sand thru the layers of paint and find only orange all the way down to the metal on all of them you think they are all that way and that no primer was used. That makes 40 times more sense. 
With all the paints available today and the many ways you may want to repaint your tractor, who really gives a hoot how Allis painted them back in the 30s 40s and 50s.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:53pm
I bought a CA that was yellow with no orange underneath. It belonged to a local highway dept. I'm also working on a D14 today and didn't find any yellow under the orange, Maybe they started using yellow primer when they started to use the PO#2. Bob
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 11:33pm
First tractor I drove was a early b with belly mower. all painted yellow. came from the highway dept.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic