This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Y’all wish me luck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Y’all wish me luck
    Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:19am
I’m on a remodel for a hippie couple from Iowa. They don’t trust us. I’m not allowed to get material on ther time. They watch us constantly and offer help quite often. The wife has sent us home a couple times due to temp to cold. She asked us to go home so they could go grocery shop last week. They aren’t allowed in a couple different lumber yards. I’m the 4th crew on this remodel. I unloaded on the boss yesterday. He begged me to give it one more chance. The husband told me last night that he would start working with us. You should have seen the look he gave me when I offered up a bet that he wouldn’t be working with us.😂😂😂
The wife is constantly storming out the door asking where my helper is? I explained to her that he does exactly as I tell him. If I was to ask for a board and suppose someone else had him doing something different the whole job would come to an end.
I slept not a wink worrying about this. I’ve prayed hard for a good outcome for all. This morning I feel like there’s not a chance I’ll get along with this guys wife and finish this one. In 35 years I’ve never walked out on a customer.
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:39am
Sorry you have 'that' customer! I do renovations for the handicapped. We get the one I call a 'cobra' every once in a while! They're all nicey nice, but they are coiled up in the corner, just waiting to strike!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:06am
Saw a similar experience years ago, family could not keep a contractor on site so I was curious and watched, the woman would strawboss EVERY worker and aspect of the work, finally a contractor she got to stay awhile told her to LEAVE or they would and her work would Never get completed, she did and in two days all was done but with a caveat she was NOT satisfied with the work then refused to pay the bill. Lien added to their deed and finally she capitulated. They soon sold the house where they moved a WHOLE five miles down the road to Another project house but could not EVER get a contractor to set foot in and they finally moved away completely.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:06am
Thad that is the best thing about being my own boss. I cherry pick my jobs and people I work for. I cater to decent human beings. The jerks and beeeeetches can find someone else to beat up and pick on .I was worried when I went out on my own there would not be enough work, wow was I wrong. I had a full week scheduled before I woke up Monday morning. Got 13 calls before 10 o'clock Monday. Told 11 of them sorry too busy. Never liked to tell anyone no but I am learning.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:19am
leave... I've got the perfect 'contractor' for them !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

Thad, I understand you have a boss to answer to but I would explain things to him and ask him to spend a day on the job. There is not way he will make any money on that job. You are an artisan and a craftsman and should be treated as such. I would let them have memories of my truck going out the driveway, no way would I put up with that crap. Of course being basically retarded......err...retired now I am very picky about what jobs I will do. The word will get out and no reliable contractor will deal with them. Good luck on getting this worked out.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:00am
Yep, hope you can work it so you can continue to say 'never walked out on a job'...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:01am
 Dang,,Thad,,you into another toughie there,,My Friend,,,,,  But don't beat yourself up worryin bout walkin out on them AH's. In  my mind, they got it coming,,,!!  And this will give you the perfect opportunity to "raise Your Price" when they come back wantin you to come back. I did exactly THAT on a A/C clutch job that I did not want to do to start with. The AH started in telling me what and how to do the job till I threw the wrenches down and told him to take his friggin trk and go home. He got pee'ed but did leave,,,but he was back the very next morning tellin me he was ready to get his trk fixed. I told HIM the job was now gonna be $60 higher than my original quote,,,,,for the hour HE wasted. He got this green lookin look on his face and after gulpin a few times, he nodded OK. Then I told him to call for a ride as I would NOT start till he left,,,,he took off walking and I finished the job. He ain't been back for more work since. Sometimes you gotta just treat them AH's like they treat you. Life's toooo dang short to keep changing cheeks,,,,,Wink
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:02am
MY two cents worth, {it's worth Less}. That's not a job your on. She and he both want to be the contractor. Walk out and let them do it themselves, or hire a bunch of misfits that know nothing and let them be crew leaders as they apparently wish to do.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:31am
People that think they know how to do it are looking for someone to blame. Bosses tend to promise the world and expect the worker to give it to them. But he is the boss. Bosses sometimes jack the price in these situations but still don't make anything. Never a win deal. The boss would have been better off not starting it. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:42am
Damn Hippies.....Don't you have a Blacksmith Hammer Mill to be workin on anyway?  Tell her "Baby, it's cold outside" and head out!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Now that right there is a classic!!!

I think #1 would be to ask YOUR boss to go out on the job.  Whatever his answer is, that gives you an out.
#2 ask her WHO IS the contractor on this job.  I'm sure you can take it from there..... sure wish I could be there as either a mouse in the corner, or a co-conspirator against this beeeeech.... I'd have a ball with her.
Which reminds me, ask her what color her balls are,,,,,,,,,,,,she's acting like a man who knows how to use em.... duck fast as you might get slapped, I did.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 1:20pm
I had privacy fence put up a while back . Fence company owner told me he can tell pretty quick if he can work for someone . Said he gave one woman a job quote . She didn't wanna pay for 8' 4 by 4's when the fence was 6' . Guy couldn't make her understand that 2' has to go in the ground . He had quite a few similar stories
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:21pm
The boss called me this morning and we had words. He said we’ve had good customers in the past. He told me we have to take the good with the bad . I told him that was true but this wasn’t bad but unbearable. I let him know that there was no possible way I’d proceed as is. He met with the people and wecame back after lunch. They were much different and apologized. I’m not holding my breath but I feel like prayers were answered.
On the flip they had an insurance adjuster out. Trying to get a free roof while they’re roodfing the porch we built. They were denied and not happy.
As of now this is a load off my chest. My help have kids at home and need to be working regular. Were it just me this would put out of work I’d have already loaded up and gone. Thanks y’all for the advice.👍👍👍
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:56pm
I think a lot of times, just explaining the FACTS OF LIFE to the customers goes a long way. Many want to be a part of the crew and direct traffic.. EXPLAIN that YOU are in charge..

Remember an old sign at the local Auto Shop..... LABOR = $20 hour , $25 if you give advice, $30 if you help.....
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:32pm
I only worked for one guy that would always take the customers word over employees, couldn't leave due to a contract, but he couldn't fire me due to the same contract.  I never changed him but he damn sure cringed every time something came up.  Hope everything works out, life is too short. . . . .
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:20pm
Funny this comes up now because I and my coworker both had a similar problem at work. We both agreed that we should be permitted to carry a horse whip and get to use it once a quarter, no questions asked! Just kidding, a horse whip may not be heavy enough. we work with a lot of internationals, huge cultural differences. We will walk into a lab on occasion, and before we can even get tool box open, each person in the lab will take it upon themselves to come over and ask "what wrong"....everyone of them! for many of them, that's probably 30-40% of their entire English vocabulary! then, at least one will shadow us, so close we keep bumping into them, watching everything we do.

I did "accidently" give one young girl a pretty firm nudge across the bridge of the nose with my elbo on one occasion. She got the message.

I had one guy asking questions like a five year old, leaning over my shoulder, and poking at things....and I am working on live 220 equipment! I pretty quick told him politely but firmly I would stop working if he didn't get back
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 12:02am
I know a couple people like you mention, they plan their life that way because they have learned to be "cheaper" like ole Joe, or they are hiding something illegal! one family I know was never nor will they ever be satisfied with any type hired in work, they have learned thru the years or from parents that it'll usually get them the jobs done cheaper. they tried that on me once and I didn't bite. it still isn't done what they wanted after 20 years. you did the right thing Thad!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:09am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I know a couple people like you mention, they plan their life that way because they have learned to be "cheaper" like ole Joe, or they are hiding something illegal! one family I know was never nor will they ever be satisfied with any type hired in work, they have learned thru the years or from parents that it'll usually get them the jobs done cheaper. they tried that on me once and I didn't bite. it still isn't done what they wanted after 20 years. you did the right thing Thad!

Dale I hope I did the right thing? Only time will tell.
I have no problem with someone trying to save money. someone that wants something for nothing Is another story.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:27am
re:
...He told me we have to take the good with the bad ....

No, unless you're a baker, YOU do NOT have to work for everyone....
I've turned down lots of good paying jobs, or helping some, cause I finally figured out that life is mighty dang short and STRESS WILL KILL YOU. I don't need the BS from know-it-alls or demanding types. But ask nicely, be civil and accept I KNOW what I'm doing , and I'll help .

I'm on the 'flipside' here with the 'great job'( HIS words)  he did on the garage roof. After 110 dayze I just shrug my shoulders and carry on with small projects.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 7:33am
I will have to say I just retired from the trades and don't miss any of the problems being described here. Best line I ever used was -It can be done now, I'll just go home!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
  UMmmmm,,,what did you say your address is, Shameless,,???Wink
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:02pm
Thad, I think I worked for that couple a few years ago. I wondered where they moved to. I was also asked to leave the house when the decided to go to lunch.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:00am
 Hey Thad,,I'm hopin you will get this figured out to your satisfaction,,,Life's work is hard enough without havin to dread goin to go work for AH's like them,,,Good Luck,,!!Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:51am
Joe it’s been better. It won’t last. They’re gradually resorting back to their ways. First sign of trouble and I’ll be on the phone. The boss told them that I want to see this through. They said they don’t want to lose another contractor on this. He and they brought up all my short falls then I nicely reminded him that I’ve made it much farther on this job than anyone else has.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 9:47am
I'm with Shameless. when someone is so distrustful that they feel the need to supervise every second of your time they are as crooked as the day is long and they are hiding something. And Thad, your boss should know, these are the people that will sue over everything after the job is done!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I'm with Shameless. when someone is so distrustful that they feel the need to supervise every second of your time they are as crooked as the day is long and they are hiding something. And Thad, your boss should know, these are the people that will sue over everything after the job is done!

Lou no doubt in my mind you’re correct. The boss is a young buck trust fund baby that feels like he is so well liked by all that it can’t happen to him. His mom is married to my brother and I’ve known him all his life. These people spend every hour of every day looking for something for nothing.
I’m done trying to protect the boss. I’ve let all my subs know ahead of time and they all know the risks. They’ve picked their own HVAC and plumbers. She told me we’ve doubled her electric bill this month. I told her maybe it was the 3 space heaters on the porch so they’re warm while they watch us. She let me know that electric infared heaters don’t use much electric.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:22pm
Thad,
 I had a tough last two years on my job. Not contracting work but still was a struggle each day. Had to grin and bear it most days. I feel some of your pain. 
Your boss doesn't sound like he has your back on this either. Which means you are in a no win scenario. Keep plugging away at it. Have your own back up plan in place and you might have to be prepared to leave this boos too, at some point, if he is not going to back you up? I remember you mentioning this job way back when you started it. Must be a lot of work in the project? Remember you are dealing with humans! Not a easy task some days, as some are wrapped tighter than others!

"He and they brought up all my short falls then I nicely reminded him that I’ve made it much farther on this job than anyone else has."

You might have to at some point walk out, and nicely remind both of them Customers and your boss, that your done!

I was pretty sore when I retired. we were supposed to set up all this stuff many months in advance with HR when we were going to retire. I waited as long as I could till I had a sign.
The sign was a date: 11-12-13! I gave notice. I was done 1 month later!

Good luck!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

She let me know that electric infared heaters don’t use much electric.
They have this gadget that shows how much lectric is being used from any outlet.  They are pretty cheap too.  You could surprise the heck out of her with it.
How about maing up a sign and putting it on your tool box?
$20 per hour, $30 per hour is you watch, $40 per hour if you help, $80 per hour if you give advice.

One thing that always helped me was when they are saying "if you'd do this,,,,,"  Just hand em your hammer/screw driver/ what ever tool and say, show me how......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:09am
They had friends over and decided to do part of my job for me. I’ve worked around all their for days but apparently the friends were too good for that. I’m here for my boss only. This is one of the hardest tests I’ve ever been up against at work. I’m officially job searching.
I will hang here til something that suits me fine comes along. Not gonna put myself out in the cold for these folks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic