This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XTIII As I was finishing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XTIII As I was finishing
    Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 8:49pm
My 8000 bales of first cutting this afternoon I was not ready for an awful sound which I had never ever heard. I stopped the PTO instantly and threw in the foot clutch just as a reaction. Then I saw antifreeze coolant spraying everywhere. After shutting down the XT and looking things over I discovered a fan blade had failed and shot through the top section of my 2year old new radiator. I grabbed the 185 which was on our NH 311 and finished the last load and a half. Then towed the XT to the shop. Do y'all think this fan blade failure was a freak catastrophic failure or is it more common than I think? Does Agco supply new fans for the XT?? Thanks for your opinions! Dana

Edited by captaindana - 01 Jul 2018 at 8:50pm
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:13pm
I was able to get a new fan from AGCO for my 175 a few years ago.  I would start with them - I am willing to bet they will have them available.  Sorry to hear about the 2 year old rad too!  My rad needed recoring when the blade came in touch with it.
I started having problems with the fan on my 175 when we would put cardboard in front of the rad in the winter time.  After a couple of fan blades breaking off, we gave that practice up.  It is common?  Depends on the history of the tractor maybe.  You gotta remember that it is 50 years old (give or take)...
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:31pm
Sorry to hear about the radiator on the XT. I was still in all about the 8000 bales in one day (I'm a small play farmer, located on the east coast and 800 is a big day!). How many balers do you folks have going and I'm taking that your talking small squares? Love to hear what it takes for that kind of operation!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 11:56pm
Captain Dana, sorry to hear of that kind of troubles. and on a two year old radiator to boot. Glad it wasn't the engine that blew. Never had a fan go through any of mine, but neighbor had a fan on his 5000 ford that ate his radiator
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 5:04am
I had a fan blade break off on a WD years ago tore up the radiator.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 5:15am
Allisbred! 8000 total first cutting in 8 days of baling with a NH 315 on the XT and 311 on a 185, we started cutting around June 6 and finished up yesterday. I flew 10 of those days and mowed, tedded, raked on 11 days, had a few rain days and baled on 8 days. 43 pound small squares of quality mixed grass hay. Ian and I totaled 150 field hours on the tachs for mowing, tedding, raking, hauling, etc., and burned 230 gals of diesel which figures out real close to 50 bales per tractor hour. I will call Sandy Lake @8 am. I suppose the failed blade could have been bent at some time, maybe by trying to turn the crank to set the timing or ???? Thanks!    Dana
                          Dana
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 7:01am
I was tensing up as I read this waiting to read “then something came out of the block and oil was everywhere”
I hate you lost a fan and maybe a radiator, but it could have been a lot worse!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 2:18pm
Oh man it could have been WAAAY worse. But here's the thing.....how to inspect all of my other 10 tractors? I use 6 a lot in my haying ops. As y'all know the blades are covered with millions of dead insects which would make it about impossible to see any faults using a light and mirror. C'mon guys how can we inspect them? Wiggle each blade to see if they all feel equal? Dr. Allis what's your take on inspection before failure? Thanks! Dana
                          Dana
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 2:33pm
8000 bales in 8 days of baling is some weather I have never seen in my life.

Not to be mean......But you just put up what, $30,000 or more worth of commodity in 8 days with nearly 50 year old tractors.  Fan may have simply fatigued, which without some serious scientific inspection is going to happen quite unannounced.  If you're going to rely on equipment that old for that kind of revenue, you either accept the risk or invest in some newer equipment.  Sorry, just my $.02

Edited by Tbone95 - 02 Jul 2018 at 2:34pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 2:47pm
Best test I could think of would be using liquid penetrant sold through grainier (Magna-flux)-- I use this at work to check surface discontinuities. I can walk you through a process for accurate results if needed. Think I would just do a visual inspection if there is concern. There are several factors that can cause material failures.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 3:22pm
I hate reading about stuf like this. The bearings turned loose on my L2 two years ago after cutting 50 acres of flood beans. The high temp alarm went off and when I got back there and saw it was a terrible feeling. That was 2 on a Saturday. Fortunately i had a parts combine behind the barn with a good radiator and water pump. Still took half the day to get going.

By the way. What are you hauling the hay with. NH bale wagon?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:17pm
Thanks for the replies guys! I enjoy running 45 year old balers and a fleet of 11 Allis' all but one older than 48 years old! And the fact they have been paid for almost forever and make us a lot of Money and give us more than money in pride of ownership and enjoyment. I made a comment earlier yesterday that we had only spent 120 bucks in parts this season before the XT mishap. So now we add another 700 some bucks. Who cares? Compared to monthly payments that's nothing! It's just the way I choose to run my business and keep raking in the dough with my old Allis Chalmers.😊 They get spray waxed every day before hitting the fields: I have always said if I'm going to work this hard out in these meadows when it's hot and dirty...I'm going to look good doing it. Lol. Anyhow I think I need to magniflux (sp ?) and check the other fans. We kick all of the 43 pound bales into kicker wagons usually 135 bales on a load. Thanks again! Dana
                          Dana
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:30pm
Well said Captain!  Tractors that are paid for, maintained and looked after are money in the bank.  Do they breakdown occasionally?  Yes, but so do the new computerized ones that cost thousands more (Just ask the guy who rents our land).  At least the older ACs are cheaper and easier to fix!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:40pm
I had the same thing happen on my gas XT. Skint things up a little but didn’t hurt the radiator

Edited by SteveMaskey(MO) - 02 Jul 2018 at 8:41pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys! I enjoy running 45 year old balers and a fleet of 11 Allis' all but one older than 48 years old! And the fact they have been paid for almost forever and make us a lot of Money and give us more than money in pride of ownership and enjoyment. I made a comment earlier yesterday that we had only spent 120 bucks in parts this season before the XT mishap. So now we add another 700 some bucks. Who cares? Compared to monthly payments that's nothing! It's just the way I choose to run my business and keep raking in the dough with my old Allis Chalmers.😊 They get spray waxed every day before hitting the fields: I have always said if I'm going to work this hard out in these meadows when it's hot and dirty...I'm going to look good doing it. Lol. Anyhow I think I need to magniflux (sp ?) and check the other fans. We kick all of the 43 pound bales into kicker wagons usually 135 bales on a load. Thanks again! Dana
Well, don't get me wrong...I farm with old stuff too.

My point is, looking for a fan blade that's about to fail possibly due to fatigue because you just had one fail is #1 looking for a needle in a haystack, and #2 like looking at bread for a chance of it making a crumb because you choked on a bread crumb!LOL  I'm well aware of magnaflux and it's capabilities and limitations.  You may find something, hey I hope you do. 

Good luck in your endeavors.  I meant no offense. 
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:48am
If you decide to inspect your blades with more than a visual, the materials needed will be; Magnaflux SKC-S cleaner (2 cans), Magnaflux SKL-SP1 penetrant (1 can), Magnaflux SKD-S2 developer (1 can), 1 small 1" foam brush, 1 roll of lint free towels. I would look at the broken fan and see if there was any evidence of the crack (dirt or discolor at the crack beginning possibly) and only inspect the remaining fans in that area. You can buy everything through Grainger or Fastenal. Another option could be a Magnetic Particle exam (better)if it is carbon steel and someone near by has a "yoke" for you to use as it will detect cracks below the surface. In any event, if you decide to persue these inspections, please call me and I will go over the correct procedure. Best of luck, Kevin 410 713 0547
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:10am
Pretty sure some of the newer fans have aluminum blades riveted to a steel spider. Fan blades don't break often, but unfortunately they do once in a great while.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:13pm
Thanks y’all again! I looked quickly out in the field and believe this blade had been cracked before this mishap, when I get back home to fix it I’ll post pics but I’m pretty sure it was cracked.
Ya know every day before any of the fleet leaves the stable we always do the walk around checking fluids, coolant and fan belt tension and I’ll usually wiggle on a blade just to check the water pump bearing, guess I just never happened to grab this blade. I’ll never complain because I love keeping up with the maintenance and these tractors are so reliable is a rarity to have issues. Thanks!!
                          Dana
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:22pm
CaptainDana, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I too enjoy using these AC pieces from the 1960s, 1970s, & 1980s. Visitors to the farm are always astonished how well they still function. Congrats on baling 8000 bales in 8 days - wow!  What you have shared about doing a fluid pre-check and/or walk-around is a great practice. But as you also mentioned, some of the more intense issues can be difficult to spot in a pre-check. 
So in the off season, try to do the more intense inspection procedures at least once a year. Maybe start an off-season inspection journal for each piece of equipment. In the journal, have a tab for each equipment piece along with it's items inspected, dates inspected, repairs, & any comments. A 3 ring binder works great for such journals, as you can add paper per item as needed. Thats the time to flush coolant, remove, clean, & inspect radiator, fan, & belts and the likes...    

Edited by AC7060IL - 03 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:07pm
Speaking of fan blades breaking years ago there was a fellow working on a Ford Model A
and had the hood up running the motor a fan blade flew off hit him in the chest and killed him on the spot.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:13pm
AC7060IL! I’m smiling reading your post! Each workhorse has its own spiral maintenance book as of this spring!!!! Same with my 2 cars, truck, wheeler, airplane etc. I just started writing down the transmission, hydraulic, engine oils and filters, antifreeze changes, fan belt changes, you name it whatever I do goes in the little spiral book one for each tractor I started this spring out of necessity there’s no way you can keep track without doing this ! Amen!
                          Dana
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 4:36pm
Captain, considering your profession I would say your equipment gets much better than average maintenance. Log books containing inspection, service, maintenance and historical records are a great idea. One fan blade failure on your 48+ year old fleet is not bad, just sorry that it decided to get a 2 year old radiator in the process. Any restriction to the air flow through the radiator (card board, trash, etc.) will put extra stress on the fan blades and make a crack more likely. Putting up 1,000 bales per day is awesome, I had to have a real good day to get 500 bales through a NH268 pulled by Dad's WD. I agree with you on paying a small amount for repairs rather than big $$$ to be using new equipment that is very likely not as reliable and costs more to repair.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:51pm
Wow that's crazy. I'd like to come visit you some time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic