This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT went to the shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

How's the tractor coming along Darrel?

I have to stop by the shop where it's at today, and pick up the pump and injectors, so I can send them to injEd. I'll probably get a look at the engine, if he has it tore down. Maybe have a report on it tonight. Darrel
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
hide yer billfold and check book before you walk in!
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:17pm
Yes Darrel, you are going to be spending some big money. But we all know what a fairly new 90 horse tractor costs.  Ed has got my pump and injectors right now for my 7000. Your going to enjoy field work this summer on that XT.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm
Well, I picked up the pump and injectors today, and just finished packaging them up. I'll send them off to Ed in the morning. Not sure yet what all is going on deep within yet; he didn't have the engine tore down that far yet.
   I've been stewing over this project for about two years now; whether to do it, or not to. I know I'll get a lot of money into it. I really love this tractor, and have been missing it since the engine went down on it. Thought about knocking it in the head, and moving onto something else, but the rest of the tractor is in nice shape. Wish it had three point, dual PTO, and hydraulic PTO clutch, but it will work for 95% of what I need it for anyhow. So, I decided to bite the bullet, and do it. If I keep it until I die, it won't seem so bad. Kind of like a pickup I bought and rebuilt 30+ years ago. I cried about how much I stuck into it, but now when I divide that amount by how many years I've had it (I still have it), it doesn't come out to much per year. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:34am
yep....and who's to say if you buy a different one, that it wouldn't need the same thing?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:10am
Got a call from the shop yesterday evening. He sent the head to a machine shop. Said that the head alone was going to set me back $1,400. Told me that who ever did the machine work on the head previously (before I owned it), had made a few mistakes that are costing me now. Also, when he was pulling sleeves, the O rings on them were not even all installed the same; same colored O rings were not all in the same position. Must have been a rocket scientist working on it. Hope when she gets all said and done, she'll work good and last a long time. Darrel
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:34am
O ring thing blows my mind, but that don't take much sometimes. Sounds like you got things going your way, good luck and I hope it's everything you expected when finished. Look at the bright side ,your thick wallet won't be a problem while in the seat of that fresh 190. Hope all goes well. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:44pm
yep....i'm thunking that that tractor is gonna be good for another 50 years or so!
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:05pm
$1400 sounds like a heck of a lot for a 301 head. It's such a common engine. I'd look around for a used one.
chuck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

$1400 sounds like a heck of a lot for a 301 head. It's such a common engine. I'd look around for a used one.
I agree I bought redone heads way less than that something don't seem right there.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
I've never priced one before. Certainly not going to put a used one on it that I don't know any history on. The shop rebuilding my engine says they've been using this machine shop for a while now, and has gotten nothing but top notch work out of them. Said that everything in the head will be new. I am open to better suggestions. I'm not thrilled about the 1,400 bucks, but I want it done right. Darrel
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:25pm
A fella I know needs a head for his 7020, used one is $2,200. Apparently the heads with brass inserts tend to crack worse. That’s a lot of money but compared to the 7020 it doesn’t sound so bad.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
chuck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I've never priced one before. Certainly not going to put a used one on it that I don't know any history on. The shop rebuilding my engine says they've been using this machine shop for a while now, and has gotten nothing but top notch work out of them. Said that everything in the head will be new. I am open to better suggestions. I'm not thrilled about the 1,400 bucks, but I want it done right. Darrel
I would ask what there going to do to it just got one redone last month by local machine shop that has same guy doing heads that's been there 25 years very good reputation. Head was cleaned checked for cracks,surfaced, all new valve train looks like new. Cost was $650 but valve train came from reliance parts and not agco, may make a big difference.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm
I have several used heads here. If they were checked, I would sell you one for almost nothing.
Cannot think what they are going to do that would cost 1400.00.
On second thought, come down and I will give you a used head.    MACK
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:34pm
I think what you are missing is he said that the machine shop is fixing the sins of the previous owners repairs. I regret to inform this message board that there are just not that many people in this part of the country and that makes used parts more scarce. If he has a good rebuild able core then that might be the one to use. How much would it cost to ship a head across the country? Will it go ups or will it have to come truck? Will they deliver 50 miles from the dock to his farm? Things are different out here. I might agree with him on using the one he currently has.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:21am
Spoken like a true North Dakotan.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:16am
The 1,400 head issue has raised more eyebrows than I expected, and I do sincerely appreciate all of the responses. Dennis (that's the name of the shop owner and is the guy doing the engine rebuild) is a good friend, and I trust him fully, even though I got accused of "not trusting him" early on in this thread. LOL. But anyhow, he sent the head to the machine shop that he has good faith in, because he gets work back from them that does not fail, thus costing him money and grief. When Dennis called me the other night to tell me about the all of the head issues, I was a little shocked at the price. He said that one of the "smoking guns" was a previous poor job of valve knurling that had been done. Now I am not a machinist, but have a pretty good grip on all of the components of the head, and when a machinist tells me what he's going to do, I understand it. But I don't have a 301 head rebuilt every day of the week, in fact this is my first one, so I didn't have much to compare it to. I am not sure what all is replaceable in this head; two things that jump out at me that I remember him saying, were "all new valves, and valve guides." I'm thinking that he said valve seats, too, but I could be wrong on that. But, basically, It would be pretty much a new head when done. Dennis called me Thursday evening, and I gave him the "go ahead" on it, purely out of trusting him, and no research. I kind of wish now, that maybe I would have told him that I'd think about it and research my options over the weekend. I probably could still back out on it, but I don't like to operate that way, especially if the machine shop already has parts ordered. I sort of think though, that even if I had all weekend to consider things, I may have had the same out come. Mack's offer does sound fantastic; not sure if he's giving me a head that's all ready to bolt on, or if it has to go in for a looking over as well. I know that with a few phone calls, I could have found some used 301 heads, that probably would have, but possibly would not have been, in better shape then mine. But by the time I would have ran around the country side to gather em up, and then have the machine shop give an estimate on them, too, I would have had a lot into that, plus an aggravated machinist. And supposing that I found one that didn't take too much work, because all wear items were "within specs," is that what I really want? Honestly, not really. Why.....? Because I've been stewing on this project for roughly two years. Money is not in abundance around here, and a philosophy that I try to adhere to is: "If you don't have the time and money to do it right, when are you going to have the time and money to do it over...?" Over the last two years, I was tempted several times, to dig into this engine, and fix just enough to make it useful again on a bare bones budget. Probably could have done it, and be using it again already now. Call it a strange form of OCC or what you will, but I really don't think that I would be "sitting as tall in the seat" with something that is done to "get by with", as I will be with something done as close to 100 % right as it can be.
     This engine rebuild is probably one of the very few projects of this caliper that I'll have done in a while. Like I said, money is tight. Have 100 other allis projects around here that could and should be done. I chose this one, because I love this tractor, and it is one of the most purposeful tractors I have on the place. Win, win situation. Do necessary farm chores with it, and wear a grin while doing them. I guess, all in all, about what I've accomplished with this post, is that I've talked myself into believing that I made the right decision on the head. Truthfully, if there was such thing available as a NOS head for it, that was ready to bolt on and didn't take a winning lottery ticket to acquire, that's the route I'd have went. If it wasn't one of my favorite Allis's, and wasn't a "once in a lifetime project" for me, well then I would have been cutting corners, and said no way to the head cost. But to satisfy my OCC, this project requires new, rather than "within specs". Over the years that I've owned this tractor, I've been fixing a lot of other little mechanical and cosmetic things on it, little by little, and I sincerely hope to get a fresh coat of paint, and new decals on it before the newness of the engine wears off. If'n I get to that point, I think that I'll be glad I didn't spare any expense on the head, even though it kind of bites hard now. Darrel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Darrel, some many years ago, I went to the Allis dealer and asked for new valves and expected valves in Agco or allis/duetz boxes... what I got instead was tisco boxes... So I took them and put them in my One-Seventy...  guides weren't the best and ground the seats that were in it. I didn't have time to drop the pan and push the pistons out and re-ring it at the time, that was about 13 years ago... Fast forward, now the engine is far tireder, leaks oil out of the seals and smokes and ... now one of them tisco valves are leaking on the ex. The engine is truly in a need of down time and a complete overhaul, to cure the bazillion hours it has on it.
 And I too would like to have this engine done right, with the best guides there are to be put in and quality valves... and an engine balancing too... Have used this tractor for 45 years and I could slap a new set of bearings and possibly just rering it, (got new pistons and sleeves for it) and go through the valves again and out last me, But I want it to be good for another 45 or more... For it to be still useful long after I am gone.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:17pm
The seats are probably all ground too deep and need replaced.It's amazing how much compression one loses that way. Makes em hart starting. The idiot that did the seats on my 8070(prior to my purchase) put new seats in but didn't grind them deep enough. Had slight valve marks in top of 2 pistons when I had it overhauled.Things definitely need done right when dealing with AC. Sounds like that's what you'll get,even though a little pricey.March on....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic