This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT Update
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm
Dr A was right; timing wasn't my problem. I tore the head off figuring to have valves all checked out by local guru, which is what I will still do. I found cyl#1 like pictured. Whatever that thing is it is embedded into the piston in 2 pieces at 5 to 5:30 position...driven strait in! What it looks like is a needle from a bearing. What is it and where did it come from?

Head

Piston#1 with 2 embedded pieces

Other cyls and pistons look good

Sponsored Links

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:11pm
I am thinking this foreign object had to be dropped in through the injector hole 27 years ago???
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:33pm
Dang, thats one beat up piston! And i agree it had to been in there when assembled or through nozzle. Maybe a tip came off another nozzle at one time? Hard to tell but it sure did a number on it! Is the sleeve ok.  
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
The sleeve has to be replaced.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:02pm
OUCHYCry
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:19pm
Valve looks offset. Worn guides or bent?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
Oh, so my mechanic heard her run today and went home, telling me to take the head off and have the valves looked at. So this mess in cyl#1 really didn't have anything to do with her running incorrectly issues!
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 8:30am
Interesting looking piston -- the valves in first picture (right side) don't look to be seated properly. Whatever got into the piston may have also caused a valve issue. Nice to have a mechanic that makes "house calls" -- I'm looking for one of them fellers -LOL
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:34am
valves are fine.....pockets are made offset
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:44am
Thats weird, stuff like that only happens to me I thought...New sleeve and piston and I think itll be alright. Id replace the valves on # 1, keep us posted, good luck, Trev.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:46am
I think that bit of steel is the internal valve bit of the injector. From an injector that broke. See he impression right next to where it finallt stuck in the piston, its pointed.

Gerald J.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:57am
Seems that's what you get when you go and paint something.  I know a guy who had a Oliver 1850 painted, shortly afterward injection pump needed pulled and rebuilt.
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:05pm
That must have made an awful noise.
1944 Allis C
1960 Allis D-17 LP
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
Guys I dropped the head off to the guru, he will git er dun. Meantime I am somehow getting an original # 4022958 piston and #4023099 sleeve and rering the others; we should be good to growl again! It never made noise here...musta happened in it's pre 27 year hibernation days! Gerald I believe you are correct; thanks! I could hear the valces leaking so once they're corrected we shall see....still don't know why she starts to labor and knock and quit! My mech thought maybe the valves were floating and getting it out of time. He heard it...it didn't do this at first but lately every 10 minutes. Once I drop the pan we can check all the bearings. I have all the pan bolts out but need to jockey the wishbone anchor to drop pan! Thanks, Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic