This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT liner standout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT liner standout
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 6:51pm
OK experts the book says liner standout should be .002 to .005. My used liner I installed is a tad more like .007. Good? No good? I don't want to do this job again. Thanks, Dana
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:12pm
Dana, that is too much. Clean the counterbore really well, clean the shoulder really well. Possibility is is setting up on ledge because of rust. Measure it again after a good clean and wire brush job. HTH Tracy Martin

Edited by Tracy Martin TN - 25 Apr 2012 at 7:12pm
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
Like Tracy said, clean it out.  You need those bores clean enough that without any o-rings, the sleeve will spin just by making a fist inside it and turning your wrist (i.e. the sleeve should spin pretty easily).  I think I spent probably 4 or 5 hours with sand paper, diesel fuel, wire brushes, and paper towels cleaning out the bores of my block... 

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:24pm
Cap'n, check for a small radius in the c'bore interfering with a square corner on the outside of the sleeve. Like the others said make sure everything is CLEAN and no burrs. The measurement should be taken with the sleeve clamped down also. Maybe a couple big washers and 2 short bolts in  the block.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
OK guys. I had everything cleaned and could spin the liner with my hand inside like hurst said. I will take her back out. ugh...
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
All liners should stand out the same amount. If one is higher, it might lead to problems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:40pm
Most important is the variation between 2 adjacent liners. If they all measure .007 you could probably get away with it.Dr Allis or Mack would know.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:45am
Piece of cake guys. Tapped her out, recleaned top radius and set her back in after cleaning. The other 5 and now this one are all around .003 to .004. New Orings and that'll be done. Thank you!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:34pm
Funny how that works.You knew you had it clean the first time. Kinda like flying a jet plane .....close ain't good enough. Some things matter.
  You are going to have a real sense of satisfaction after you get this thing ironed out.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:25am
On O-rings, I was told to use vegetable oil to prevent swelling and reduce the risk of scoring from swelled o-rings contracting the sleeve slightly.  I believe the manual says to use motor oil, but I was told there is a chance this could cause a problem, so stick with vegetable oil.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 5:01pm
Have had good luck using olive oil for lubing O-rings
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic