This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB Ford 460 ci motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Ford 460 ci motor
    Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 8:40pm
Well we vented the 429 in the 79 tandem grain truck, totally my own fault. I hate to just junk the truck. Looking for a running 460 big block to drop in for next fall. East-central MO. PM me here if you have something.
 Thanks all
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 10:19am
429 ?????

In a grain truck ?

Send me a few photos...
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 10:50am
429 was used in medium-duty trucks and isn't the same as a 429 in a car or pickup. I don't know how much different the 460 is, because it was never used in a medium duty truck to my knowledge. 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 11:05am
I'd be interested in either one. It did ok with 625 bu of corn but it just goes from farm to farm.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 4:30pm
I've got a good running 7.3 diesel for sale in central Iowa.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 4:50pm
Would that bolt right in place of the 429 as far as the bell housing of the 13 speed Eaton transmission? Does that come with a turbo also?
Leon B
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 5:52pm
It might be easier to find either a 389XD or 391 truck engine. I think they were in the same family as the truck 429. The passenger car version was different, but for the life of me I can't remember what that difference was. Block casting possibly. (?) You have to watch on the Medium and HD Ford Trucks, the engine blocks had differences between the years. Typical Ford. Kept changing stuff year to year.......  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

429 was used in medium-duty trucks and isn't the same as a 429 in a car or pickup. I don't know how much different the 460 is, because it was never used in a medium duty truck to my knowledge. 

I believe you're right doc. I want to say the 460 was used in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and motorhomes. If I remember right the bore was the same with a longer stroke
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 7:17pm
A lot of 460's in motor homes. My friend has one in a 97 coach. Does a good job and not too bad on fuel. Works hard in hilly country and of course sucks up a lot more fuel then. This one is TBI.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 7:51pm
361-389-391 same family.  370-429 TRUCK engines same family. Not saying the 460 bell housing wouldn't bolt up, I just know it's not an Industrial H.D. version probably without a steel crankshaft, sodium exhaust valves and forged pistons.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 8:25pm
I can't answer for the truck versions of the Ford engines as never really ran anything other than a 330 in an old F-600. It did alright for what it was. If not against converting to diesel, a good IH DT-466 would be a good fit and pretty much match what you had for power. May even best it. Not priced anywhere near a 5.9ltr Cummins engine either from my experience. it wouldn't be a slip fit, but not difficult either. Depends upon your fabrication skills and tolerance for trial and testing while proving/correcting errors. SAE flywheel housings and flywheels are readily available in SAE #2, and SAE#3 also to match your transmission. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 8:28pm
This replacement motor doesn't need to a hot rod. Dad did have a 460 in an 80 1 ton pickup, got 6 mpg, that's why I asked if one was available. I have 925 acres in a circle of about 10 miles to the central local where my bins are at. I'm a small fish if a big pond. I have the 79 ford 429 and a 76 chevy with a 427, both 13 speed Eatons ,twin screw. For what I ask of them they are perfect. Actually the chevy will hold about 50 bushels more but that truck has more guts than any 427 I've been around and will definitely out do the 429 with less bu. Not really concerned about fuel consumption, both trucks only go through about 4 tanks of fuel in the fall. More concerned about power to get out on the road and out of the way of everyone else and also to get from a soggy, hilly dirt farm road to the bins. I hire a semi to take the grain to ADM. Thanks again for all the input.
Leon B MO
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 8:50pm
I drive this during harvest for my cousin. About 680 to 720 bushel of corn or beans each trip and the truck does very well in this task and been doing the same thing for several years for him:

Edited by Codger - 03 Nov 2023 at 8:52pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:02am
The 7.3 diesel that I have is a non turbo, no emission engine. It came out of a 1990 Ford E3 one ton shuttle van from an airport parking lot. It had a transmission problem and was taken out of service. Approximately 70,000 miles on this engine. We had the engine out and running on the floor of the shop. A battery and fuel supply is all it took. Runs good. I don't know about other transmission interchange possibilities. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 10:02am
370/429/460 are all the same family, same bellhousing. 370 was only hd truck engine, 429/460 could be truck or passenger car engine. I'd think any 429/460 would bolt in, just not 100% sure the flywheel bolt pattern is the same on the truck engine vs car. The FT series, HD version of the FE series is completely different including it's round bellhousing. I'd think there would be enough 460's out and about to find one. Thinking about it more makes me think back of crank is different for bigger pilot bearings. I do know the FT/FE differences are significant on the front and rear of cranks. 429/460 not sure about though. I still have a 429 that came out of a buddy's ranchero he put a 460 crate motor in. Was running fine when removed, but it's been sitting in my shed for 15 years. I've kept as spare since we have a drag car we run 385 series 460 engine in. Haven't raced it in a decade lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic