This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working on the John Deere 70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on the John Deere 70
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:10pm
We were working on the John Deere 70 Rice last night and today
Got to love those southern tractors.

Decided to change out the water pump.
should have been an easy job.
6 bolts to take the pump out and put It back on.
I took the grill off so as to not have to work around the side of the grill.

when loosing up the bolts on the radiator side of the water pump.
trying to go about 1/4 turn tighten and then loosening some more and kept working so as not twist them off.
had to have one at the top that twisted off.

Tried the weld method but it just twist off again.
Trying to be careful about putting to much heat, since the gasket is right by that location.

Next method we used was to drill a hole in the cast to line up twisted bolt. Figure this would be faster because the more I would take this tractor apart more bolts would need to be drilled out.

We already had some bits that made to be longer.

work great and just tap out the hole.
Back together.

Also thought share picture of what can happen if you do not check to make sure the tractors over before hit the start button.
This is from the John Deere M it had a stuck exhaust valve and broke the top off the push rod.

The Valve was freed up and different push rod installed.
The M was last week fun.

Allis 190 rice needs a LP regulator.
That will be next weeks project to get running.
Does hit and Radiator is full of antifreeze.

Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 7:56pm
Wouldn't it have bee easier to have hoisted the rain cap up and slid another tractor under it? LOL     You can almost bet anything from down south is going to be problems, no matter how easy it looks to be to start with.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
Grandpa bought a 70 diesel to plow beside dad on a D15 back when. Ide love to have one someday. The wide front makes yours even more unique.
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 10:12pm
The John Deere 70 is a Rice/standard model.
Yes it needs sheet metal.
The transmission is quite and front end has little to no wear.
I Need to open up the Governor area to check a few bearings.
tractor runs good and will need the Carb cleaned and when decided to line some more gas this one will get done then also.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:56pm
Sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean about southern tractors? I'm from the north and I guess I don't understand.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean about southern tractors? I'm from the north and I guess I don't understand.

That 70 is a rice and cane model found in the southern states where rice and cane are typically grown
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Not sure if you mean about the model or the way Southern tractors are usually basket cases. The last post on the thread explained the model, but usually southern tractors are usually abused a lot more than tractors north of the Mason/Dixon line. From what I've seen on my travels, equipment up north is usually kept in a nice insulated barn, and will look brand new when it's 40 years old. (That may be a little exaggerated, but you get the point). Now down south, (Even here in OK I see this quite a bit) a lot of tractors sit outside, and....well...let's say a lot are only able to be started by the owner. LOL! One of my grandpa's is that way. He has a 2020 and 4020 JD, and both have a long starting procedure. Something like, "hook this wire to this terminal, but not for too long. Hurry and disconnect it after it starts, pull the cable by the dash to control the throttle because the regular throttle is broke, brakes don't work until you pump them 3 times, etc..." Just that kind of stuff. Cab tractors are a little worse because a lot (Granddad's 4430 included) have the doors removed. Because of this, the interiors tend to deteriorate quickly.  Again, a slight exaggeration, and this for sure ISN'T always the case, but it IS common.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 7:36pm
Another factor for southern tractors is the growing season can be long enough for double crops, so double the tractor field work per calendar year.

Gerald J.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 7:53pm
Large commercial outfits run large cane / rice farms .The work in these fields is rough .Plantation workers were hard on stuff .Employees do not care about equipment .Most farms up north are family oriented still so they keep watch of their stuff a lot closer.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense after you explain it. I guess things are different everywhere you go. Obviously I don't get out much.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic