This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working on the B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on the B
    Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 9:19am
Finally got the B into the shop. Had to free up the frozen brakes and seized engine. Have the head off and the rear axle now turns. The engine is now also free and turns easily with the crank but as I turn it the mag makes a clicking sound as the points close, is this normal? Also shouldn't I get spark simply by turning the engine over?
Sponsored Links

Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:13am
that's Probibly the impulse coupler snaping. it is normal. yes, it should spark when it is cranked over.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 11:33am
Clicking is good.

There is lots of things that will keep a spark from happening inside that mag, even though it turns. If you don't have spark, and don't want to get an education on magnetos, there are quite a few vendors who can help you. Steve at B&B is near me, and a good friend. I put him at the top of my list, but there are others who can help.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic