This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woohoo the mystery B!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woohoo the mystery B!
    Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:15pm
Awhile back I post about an FFA B Tractor that was abandoned when one director retired and another took over. I called it the Mystery B because no one could or would tell me much about it. It was a non runner but had new tires and rims and a suspect paint job. I had to rebuild the head(Thanks Lon(MN) for most of the parts) and the carb. Every time I took something off there was either no gasket or parts missing. Some trouble with the mag. But after replacing the muffler, air cleaner, and the drawbar I could not get it to start by hand cranking. Thought it was not pulling gas into cylinders because of maybe low compression. Any way short story I took it to the cabin out of frustration and hooked it behind the C. Pulled it 5ft and it started. No smoke, no timing adjustment or carb adjustment. I have oil in the filter but no pressure reading at the gauge. Not sure if the gauge is good. I will pull the valve cover to make sure I have oil coming. Bad part is the radiator leaks. Oh well. I really don't care it I have to pull start it right now as it runs. One happy old guy!

Edited by mdm1 - 18 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:36pm
I have a good used rad if you are interested
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ErikR View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:47pm
Congratulations!

I seem to remember something about being able to prime the oil pump? And if I remember, they my sometimes lose their prime and will not develop oil pressure?

I'm sure someone will write up on just how to do it....... right?????
1950 B
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:55pm
I did run oil down the tube inside the oil filter a few times. louSWPA if you want to PM me about your radiator. I have another B to get home that needs some work also so I need to kinda watch my funds. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:47pm
Make sure you have the right filter .Fram 159 works a full flow lets oil go back to crankcase and not to engine.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:57pm
Congratz! It is a great day when they fire for the first time in a long time!
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:29am
It's an AGCO filter looks just like a 159.  It was a new filter and had oil in it when I pulled it. There was oil leaking at the T in the line. The connection wasn't tight. The oil gauge had some condensation in it from the rain. 
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:32am
These engines with a vane oil pump are not self priming. Also if the shop class had the oil pump off and place the vanes in backwards or didn't get the thin gasket used under the cover it will not hold a prime.

I found the easiest way to prime the pump on this engine is to remove the filter, place a gas line type hose over the stand pipe, fill it with engine oil, refill the hose after a minute or so, start the engine and watch for oil to flow out the hose. Shut the engine off, replace the filter and you are in prime if the pump is good to go.   
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:17am
I worked on one of those FFA projects years ago, actually I was the guy elected to FIX it after everyone else messed it up.  I would not trust that anything was right based upon that experience and what you have said about it.

That being said If you had oil in the filter the only way it got there was because the pump is working to some extent. With a new empty filter the engine has to run a bit before any pressure will show on the gauge.  There are several things that could have been screwed up where it would pump a little oil but not enough to make any pressure on the gauge, one of them being the check ball and spring is missing behind the oil pump thus the oil can freely go down the camshaft. Another being they installed the thick oil pump gasket that is supplied with the cheapo gasket sets or as Dick suggested the oil pump was assembled wrong or it is worn out. There is also a trust/restriction that goes in the front of the camshaft that is often left out by the unknowing. First thing I would do is remove the gauge and start it, if oil comes out then I would replace the gauge with the correct new one. That is cheap and easy.Then if you still dont have any pressure on the new gauge your into a tear down to find out why.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 18 Jul 2018 at 7:46am
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:19am
Thumbs UpThumbs UpClap
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

(Thanks Lonn for most of the parts)
Wrong Lonn. You probably mean Lon(MN)
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:50am
Sorry I changed it.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:59am
if the tube in filter is pushed down to far gauge will not show pressure
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:25am
Alvin how far should the tube be pushed in? It's not an original tube.
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 9:13am
That's what she said! LOL
"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 9:13am

If I remember correctly I think the original tubes were restricted on the tip of it if just piece of steel line probably will not restrict properly to get oil pressure  up properly. Leon

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm
need the right tube 70203899 .not sure how far to put tube in .I think it is 4" from base to top of tube . if to long tube will hit top of filter tube is 4 1/2 long over all 
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:36am
I think I like Dick's idea. Thanks
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:00am
Do as you please but since the filter had oil in it  lack of prime is not the issue, otherwise the filter would have been dry.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 19 Jul 2018 at 8:00am
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:21am
Butch that is what I had thought but I really want the piece of mind knowing. I did put oil down the tube hole to prime it if needed. I am going to try to contact the retired FFA director today and see if he can tell me what they did to it.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 3:44am
Got back to my B. Changed the timing just a bit and finally was able to crank start it. Pulled the valve cover and checked the clearance. Took off the oil filter and started it up and had oil squirting out the tube. Gauge still showed no pressure. Time for a different gauge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic