This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Break Trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Break Trees
    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:56pm
We are looking for some trees to put along the west side of our grove. We have cleaned out our grove so now anyone driving past can see right into our yard. We are looking at this Hybrid Willow which looks to grow to about 35 feet and hopefully not wider than 20 feet. They are said to grow very quickly, about 15 feet the first year. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:56pm
Those look like the trees Rose Acre Farms put all the way around their chicken houses here. They grew fast. I'm not sure how "dirty" they are. If I can remember, I'll call #2 son tomorrow. He's been there long enough to give me the poo on them. Son that works for Rose Acres, a giant chicken farm is here. He says those trees work very well. But they had to remove them when the bird flue came thru. He said, cut a branch off, stick it in the ground and water it well. They will grow. I drove buy them for 11 years on my way to work. They always look good without much attention to them.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Apr 2020 at 11:27am
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:02pm
don't thank they will stand the wind very good.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:33am
hmm, come winter they don't hide much......

A friend planted 2 rows of trees. Roadside were 'xmas' trees, houseside , I think Aspen..been 40+ years. NOW he wished he'd planted MORE trees..has a sawmill.

Whatever the trees in 'waferboard' ( aspen and ?? ) are FAST growers.
A 'mix' of species is best and NO black walnut if a veggie garden is nearby !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:05am
why no black walnut if garden nearby

I planted a 300 foot row of Russian olive shrubs for a privacy fence

6 foot thick and 9 feet tall

takes an industrial hedge trimmer twice a year to trim it and also a forklift for one person to cut the top, but makes excellent privacy fence, not sure if they grow in your neck of woods
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:09am
In MO we are steadily REMOVING Russian Olive as is invasive, can take over from native plants in just a few years. I am doing native Cedars here, in good soil grow fast where tolerate poor soils, good canopy all year, scent is attractive and can harvest after a decade or two for post or saw logs.

Edited by DMiller - 08 Apr 2020 at 7:11am
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:32am
X 1,000,000,000 on the Russian (and Autumn) "Olives," as well as every other non-native/invasive species!!!

Hybrid willows WILL withstand the wind. So will most hybrid poplars.

My first plantings of hybrid poplars were purchased in 1979 from "Frysville Hybrid Poplars," Miles W. Fry & Son, Inc. in Frysville/Ephrata, PA. While I believe the company itself is still in business as a nursery, I do not think they're still in the hybrid poplar business. Too bad. They did have their own lines of what I still consider the best. Over the years, I've taken thousands of cuttings and used those unrooted cuttings to plant new stands. I have zero complaints, and they give no problems as longs as you plant, and use, them for their proper intended purpose(s).

When planning any and every planting, make certain you consider the future... how tall will the trees grow to be, and will that impact wires and buildings WHEN they eventually fall or have to be removed? How wide will they grow to be, and will they eventually be too close to anything including each other?

We will forever be plagued with invasive/non-native species. For us, it's autumn olive, multiflora rose, tartarian honeysuckle, and buckthorn. Entire woodlots, pastures and fields overgrown with them any place you go. Talk about COVID-19 being here to stay...
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:35am
Neighbor had some of those hybrid willows. Look good for awhile. They die off pretty quick and look kind of scroungy, 15 years or so.

Got about 15 acres that are overtaken with cedars. Best way/easiest is with a tree shear. I used one several years ago and it was awesome and quick so I bought one.
Anyone needs crappie bed material let me know.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:04am
The spot where my windbreak needed to go has anywhere from 1/2" to 6" of topsoil and then it's limestone bedrock. I pried out as many chunks of rock as I could and popped in a couple dozen cedars. I have a ton of them in my pasture so they're free and they're scrappy trees, so they should handle the shallow soil better than most.

I'd be concerned about those willows dying off, too. I'd be worried about wind damage down here but not sure if that's an issue for your area. No experience with the hybrids but the "normal" willows break off in the wind here. I'm sure they grow faster than most trees, though. I know some hate cedars but they're decent windbreak trees. Regular prescribed burning takes care of the unwanted cedars here.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
Black Walnut is poison to a lot of other plants.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:54am
We were paid to remove Russian olives, they take over if not controlled, my son went to school for landscaping, the faster a tree grows the shorter its life, at least that is what he was taught. We did think about planting some kind of fast growing because at our age they will outlive us anyway.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
Black walnut trees load their roots, buds, and nut hulls with the juglone toxin

The entire tree is FULL of the poison,sigh, and it DOES kill tomatoes and peppers an d a lot of other veggies. Poison will stay in the garden soil 4-5 years. I learned this the hard way, 100+ toms died...sniff,sniff.
 Goggle and read about juglone, black walnut......

I don't accept ANY loads of 'mulch' anymore for garden use though I will spread it inder trees or roadside, but nowhere it can leach into the garden !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 1:42pm
Arborvitae.  stagger the row, probably 8 to 10 feet apart.  they grow fast and block the wind and the view.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:12pm
Stagger rows, also stagger tree species, I would say use as many different species of trees, as you can.  Why?  because when the next bug to hop off the boat, from china, attacks it won't get all of 'em!  Leyland cypress is attacked by bagworms, as are most soft needle evergreens.  Wooly adelgids attack hemlocks some mites attack pines and spruces.  There are other pests, that attack, too.  I'd ask a local landscaper, or stop, when you see a windbreak, you like, and ask the owner how he likes the trees he has.  Some are stick droppers, like sycamore, or produce numerous prolific nasty roots, like silver maple.  Then there's the worst tree I've ever encountered, the Aus tree, it does both!

I generally say, beware of the latest new fad, in trees, and any tree that grows fast, likely dies fast!Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:39am
I had poplar on the north side of our house planted by my parents, when the trunks got to be about 8-10 inches...they died. pulled them out and [lanted long needled pines. the hail storm about 5 years ago killed them. pulled them out and took the backhoe and dug out several cedars from our CRP ground, they were about 3-4 ft tall, replanted them there and they are growing fast and look good, already a fine wind break and growing. planted them 10-12 ft apart and in 2 rows. soon there will be a solid block there.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 3:49am
I am particularly fond of Eastern Red Cedar.
They will grow anywhere, good soil or no soil; and, you can't pull one out with a bull-dozer, so the wind isn't going to up-root them.
They will have thick branches close to the ground and make a very good view-block.
They grow quick, but seldom get over thirty feet tall, and live indefinitely.
I have never known of them being susceptible to any sort of blight or insect plague.
Posts and lumber made from them is pretty much weather-proof and will last indefinitely.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 3:52am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Black walnut trees load their roots, buds, and nut hulls with the juglone toxin

The entire tree is FULL of the poison,sigh

Bed a horses stall with Walnut shavings or Walnut sawdust and you will soon be dragging off a dead horse.
The poison leaches into their system just from standing on the walnut.
At the very least, it will founder the horse, which is no better than just killing the horse outright.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:18am
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

I am particularly fond of Eastern Red Cedar.
They will grow anywhere, good soil or no soil; and, you can't pull one out with a bull-dozer, so the wind isn't going to up-root them.
They will have thick branches close to the ground and make a very good view-block.
They grow quick, but seldom get over thirty feet tall, and live indefinitely.
I have never known of them being susceptible to any sort of blight or insect plague.
Posts and lumber made from them is pretty much weather-proof and will last indefinitely.

ERC is also susceptible to bagworms, though not as susceptible as the soft needled evergreens, and is an alternate host to cedar apple rust, so if you have apple trees producing, nearby, be aware of this...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic