This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Maroon Belly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Maroon Belly?
    Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 11:48am
In reading the post asking about the best looking tractor, I saw some comments about the 7000 series maroon belly tractors.  One comment said he liked the black belly as the maroon ones seemed cheap, like they were primed and not painted.  I agree with that thought.
What was the reason/logic for the maroon color.  It definitely does not compliment the A/C orange.

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:11pm
Oil leaks weren't as easily noticed on darker colors.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:34pm
I have no idea why, but when I brought my 7000 home I had no intention of keeping the maroon. The more I worked on it the more the maroon grew on me.

It would have been a lot cheaper & easier to switch it to black, I kept it maroon and have no regrets at all. I like it!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:37pm
It was the 70's. Weird things were happening.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:03pm
I kinda wonder why they were maroon too. A friend of mine has two 7050s, both repainted black because he hated maroon.

I also wonder why they changed the bin decals of the earliest L/M Gleaners. I thought they looked pretty cool. 
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:04pm
Someone in the accounting dept noticed that when they ordered paint by the 55 gallon drum the cost per gallon was way cheaper ($1 a gallon) then when they got it in 5 gallon buckets ($2 a gallon)  and when they ordered it by the semi tanker load  (50 cents a gallon) it was even cheaper per gallon then by the 55 gallon drum.

Given that they figured the biggest volume they could order it by would thus be the cheapest yet so they ordered one tanker train load (10 cents a gallon) of the stuff or ~100 33,000 gallon rail cars worth.  Tongue

It takes a long time to burn up that much paint so be glad that the AC manufacturing plants were far inland and not near seaports where that accountant could have ordered a load of paint by the ocean tanker load (pennies per gallon you know) otherwise AC would have been all red primer from top to bottom just like the old Ford tractors were basically primer grey from top to bottom!  Wink 
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 2:24pm
Huh????
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 3:12pm
Now that's a conspiracy theory Big smile
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by JayIN JayIN wrote:

Huh????

I take you have never worked in a place where accounting either had you restricted to only ever ordering one item at a time to keep inventory numbers down or went the opposite way and pushed so hard for you to use bulk order price breaks that you ended up with a lifetimes supply of an item on the shelf and just looked for ways to use it even if it wasn't necessary?   

As someone who has been a service tech in one fashion or another all my life I have fought that battle too many times.  Either I had a certain part that I used a lot but could not bulk order due to concerns over inventory numbers or they pushed me to order so damn many of something to get the best price break possible I doubted I would ever use them all up. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 8:35pm
Allis company was soooo huge I doubt paint was much of an item. They bought about every color possible for all the things they built. At least that's my take.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 12:57am
some farmers are like that too
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:29am
I asked Norm Swinford this exact question. His reply was like Dr Allis said they wanted a darker color because oil leaks didnt show as easily, the intent was black, but they had a mock up that was in prime, and the president of the company seen it and said he liked that color, so keep it, and after a lot of negative feed back it was eventually changed to the intended black. His words, not mine
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 11:55am
If hiding oil leaks was a concern every tractor ever built would be painted black. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
^^^Yeah!

And, like someone above said, that primer-maroon color and the orange do not compliment each other in the slightest. That president dude, his wife musta matched his socks, slacks, and tie for work each day.
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:31pm
Guess I'm in the minority, I think the maroon belly tractors look good as long as it's not faded out.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by ACFarmer ACFarmer wrote:

Guess I'm in the minority, I think the maroon belly tractors look good as long as it's not faded out.
I agree, I've always liked the looks of them. I like the black bellies too but when someone paints a maroon belly black it doesn't look right to me, guess I'm just use to maroon paint with the different cab, decals and cream wheels and top. I think they look especially good with ROPS or an open station.
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 3:00pm
Milwaukee is a seaport via the St Laurence seaway.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by ACFarmer ACFarmer wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority as well as I always liked the maroon belly. Especially when they were new and glossy. Additionally, same colors as my alma mater: Virginia Tech!
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
AC Orange 1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Orange 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:54am
I'll put my vote in for the maroon belly 7000 series as well.  I think the Orange and Maroon look good together.  Like said before...painting a factory maroon belly tractor "black" just looks wrong.  I like to see things in their "original" form.  Of course I may be biased because I have a 7050.  I just love the first-year 7030 and 7050 with the maroon belly and black cab front.  Very unique.  With all that said...I would NEVER throw out a black belly 7000 series tractor in my shed...love them too!
1937 (AC WC), 1952 (AC WD), 1957 (AC D17 SERIES 1), 1964 (AC D17 SERIES IV WITH FACTORY 3PT), 1970 (AC ONE-NINETY XT SERIES III), 1971 (AC ONE-EIGHTY)
Keith M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 3:09pm
I had a 7030 only truly new tractor I ever bought. Part of my purchase deal was remove all maroon paint and paint it black. When they got to my farm I scraped off paint behind the rails to make sure. They had and got to unload. I Never regretted my decision or the cost. I Hate the maroon some Moron chose.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:14pm
WHY NOT !!  I like the way they looked .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:34pm
I bet ya a dollar that sales would have been better if the 7000's came out with black bellies. They were such a shock to the system the way it was,then you add in that "out of place" maroon ......YUCK!
Keith M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:47pm
The reason I despised them was they looked like a teen aged girl picked the paint scheme. I’d just as soon owned a pink tractor.
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:53am
Well i have always prefered the maroon models, And i never liked the look of the black belly cabs always thought the earlier cabs looked better.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:11am
Nice looking 7060 !
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:41am
I tend to favor the early cab as well. The proportions are better but that front panel I'll bet was a bear to make. From the operator's seat it makes little difference. I don't remember ever seeing a moroon belly when they were new. Was the color dull then or shiny?
Check that, looking at a side by side photo of mine I see the flat panel offers more glass to reduce a blind spot.

Edited by plummerscarin - 21 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:38am
Yes, that early cab had a lot more work involved with those front panels. I never understood the point of that design, was it for looks or was it something to do with sound deadening? I guess if I had to pick one I think the newer flat version looks a little better and less "busy" to me.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:38am
I always figured the early cab’s lower windows where designed as a “cultivator view” window. Long days of row cultivating could hurt an operator’s neck. Look at front axle row marker rod, then turn and see cultivator behaving or not(1st gear @ idle, fenders, rolling fenders, shovels, shank angles, etc...).

The early year-a-round cabs weren’t conducive to cultivating. Lots of open station umbrellas used though.

So AC’s newer acoustic cabs allowed operator air conditioning, shade, music, comfy seat, & great views of the crop rows.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:43am
JPG AUSTRALIA, I love your maroon 7060. Can see it’s spelled out “Allis-Chalmers” intercooler peeking out under its hood. It’s fatback tire’s are great too. What year is it? I don’t see a PS decal, so Power director - right? Is it’s fuel tank metal or plastic?

Edited by AC7060IL - 21 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 11:20am
It sure did not hurt the sales like the Deutz color you all like so much !!  LOL
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic