This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who Owns a Allis Chalmers wd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Owns a Allis Chalmers wd?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 12:27pm

And do you like it (just wondering)?

In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Sponsored Links

Embellem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Embellem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:07pm
I have a '52 wide front. I don't work it real hard, snowplowing and mowing brush in a pasture, but it does what I want it to without complaining. The only problem with it is the gas tank has a lot of crud in it and needs a good cleaning.
JimVH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimVH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
I have a 52 wide front, and it is always my second choice over my WD45.  The gear noise in the rear end is so annoying that it has become my wife's tractor. It also suffers from armstrong steering, where the 45 has a Char-Lynn unit added.  As soon as I find a 185 it will go to a new home.
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:45pm
I have a 1950 and use it for hauling fire wood and snow plowing.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Rich(CentWI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich(CentWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:20pm
! have a 1950 Wd. Use it mostly for driving up and down the road.uploads/915/AC-done8-1.jpg
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:27pm

I have 3 WDs,  two early ones, one late one.   the oldest has the loader and chains on all year around, I aquired it from my brother.  The other old one has a D17 eng kit in it, lots of power, my Dad bought it on a neighbors farms sale 40 years ago.  The newer one my Dad bought from a neighbors widow when after her farm sale when she had to take it back due to a bounced check, that was about 25 years ago. there has been a WD on our farm for over 50 years!!!

bill2260 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill2260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:09pm
I have a 1952 WD my grandfather bought new. Also have a 56 WD45 my dad bought used in 1962. Use both very sparringly. Hard on the old body to make them work. Had a 1940 WC sold to my brother. Grandfather bought it new. Hated that darn tractor. Had to work it too much. Fine to look at, hard to work. Bill
John WV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John WV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:19pm
I have a '51 wd That I brought 20 years ago  used to use it for everything but now that I have dad's 160 it only is used for pulling wagons  and backing wagons in the shed
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:19pm
Still have the 1948 WD that my Dad bought new. Spent many hours on that tractor plowing, baling hay, and cutting pasture. Currently awaiting an engine rebuild. I have the sales receipt where he bought it in 1948.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:26pm

I think dad bought our WD in 1982.  We still work it very hard.  We plant 20 acres of corn every year with it.  We pulled our NH 273 baler with it this summer to bale our wheat straw (only because the other tractors were tied up doing other things).  It pulls silage wagons in the fall.  I'd much prefer to drive the wd than the other ones even though the ride isn't as smooth and it doesn't have power steering.  It can't do the chores of the bigger tractors but still plays an important part on our small farm.

8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
I am still using the '52 WD Dad bought new. I'm still driving/using it since 2 days after he bought it...yes...took him 2 days to trust me with it! It runs great and I use it for snow plowing/blowing and garden work.

Life is short...Make haste to be kind
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:36pm
I have a '51 that Grandpa bought new. Mainly used now for raking hay and some sickle mowing. Gramps used to farm 160 acres with it, it was his only tractor. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:23pm

We have Grandpas 1950 WD in town now.  Don't use it much, but not ready to get rid of it either!  It has a couple of hydraulic leaks (has a loader on it) and the smell around it reminds me of him!  I want to spruce it up in his honor someday, but will have to wait until after my kitchen gets done LOL!

Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:15pm
I used my 52' WD for all my raking and haybining but since gas has got so expensive I try to used the diesels when practical. It's a real easy tractor to drive and our family has been using WD's for more than 40 years now.

Edited by Lonn - 17 Jan 2011 at 6:18pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:22pm
 I just bought a 53 WD this weekend with an AC pull mower. 
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:23pm
I have a 51 that I lengthened the fram and made a grader, dont use it in the winter. s/n 76000
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm
I've got a '51 and it's still my main workhorse around the place. It has a #9  loader on it and sometimes has a snap coupler blade attached, sometimes a 3 bottom plow and usually a drawbar. Right now the loader has the snow blade on it. I've had it for 10 years. 
Anthony View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:51pm
I have a 1951 WD with an Allis Chalmers loader on it..........it was my granddad's.....just take it to shows and use if for little jobs around the farm
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:26pm
Have a 50 and 51. Use them for cutting/raking/baling hay, as well as spreading manure and other general farm work.

Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:35pm
I now have dad's WD he bought new in 49.Grandkids call it "the scoop tractor".

snowman(MI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
I own my Grandfather's 1950 WD that has always been in the family.  The next three generations restored this tractor in 2001.  My Dad is pictured driving the tractor he grew up on.  This picture is from the first Mackinac Bridge Antique Tractor parade.  Dad, my son and myself have had this tractor on many caravans.  Hickory Corners, Union Grove, Portland and a ride to the Mackinac Bridge.  In all our adventures with this tractor, we have grown to meet many fine Allis-Chalmers people along the way.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
I have 3 with wide fronts, one with a nf and one with a single front.  They basically sit there and take up space. Not much of a market for them out here, so I save them from China.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Tom Miller (IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Miller (IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm
I have my grandfathers 1950 WD and it was our main snow machine until I retired it about 10 years ago because I got a WD-45 and I restored the WD.
JayD-17(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:13pm
A WD was the one side of my family's 1st experience with AC. It must have made a good impression, because after a time, they farmed with AC's exclusively for a while and the Farmalls slowly disappeared. It is picture'd in the back of this photo (the only on I have of it), the 45 is up front:

I bought a WD about a dozen years ago. It was always well cared for. The local dealer took it in on trade, and kept it for his own personal use on his farm until selling it to a acquaintance in the late 70's .That gentlemen did nothing with it except plow his garden with it for the next 20 years, then I purchased it from him. All it needed was a coat of paint and new front tires:

As long as you NEVER compare it to the power of a wd45, you'll never be disappointed in one. Yes, the transmission could be a little whiny but these seemed to be mostly immune to the Allis disease of popping out of 3rd. I consider the WD the be Allis's 1st modern tractor simply because it came with foot breaks right from the start!

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
I have the 1949 my dad bought new, restored in 2004 after working  all its life prior to that, now pretty much a show and caravan tractor but do have a blade, disk, and plow that gets used a few times a year, also auger elevater up to this year when I quite grain farming.
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm
For some reason I can't get pictures to post but I have a 49 that I restored but still use it to plant and cultivate sweetcorn with as well as pushing snow and spraying chores. I like it so much that I'm looking for another one with a wide front.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 11:47pm

I have a WD, it's not my Grampas, I wish it was. It goes to shows, does the occasional fun pull or parade and a little plowing for fun.

I like it a lot. There's nothing much for it to do on a day to day basis, like the WD45 and the WC's it's a retired toy and anything it could do is done better by a D17 anyway.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:24am
I have a 1949 that my grandfather bought new from my great uncle's dealership.  I guess that it really is my son's, now.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Dennis IL Dennis IL wrote:

For some reason I can't get pictures to post but I have a 49 that I restored but still use it to plant and cultivate sweetcorn with as well as pushing snow and spraying chores. I like it so much that I'm looking for another one with a wide front.

Dennis, do you have a photobucket page set up? That's the only way I can post pics is thru photobucket. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:10am
I have a late '51 that my Dad and I rebuilt in '58 after it had been through a barn fire.
He built the front end loader from scratch (including the rams). I have an Oxnard blade on the back and the ol' WD sees lots of use moving dirt and skidding logs in the summer and moving snow in the winter.  It never started well with the 6 volts after we put the O.S. pistons in it so I converted it to 12 volts a few years ago. Wish my Dad could see it "crack off" now even at 5 below.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic