This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who else is deaf as a post like me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who else is deaf as a post like me?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 11:03am
I have the Resound hearing aids that stream phone calls and any audio from my iPhone, but my wife still grumbles about the tv too loud. I see they have a thing called the TV Streamer 2 that’s supposed to do the same thing for tv.
Anyone else use anything like this?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 11:10am
I ignored the Insurance company telling me the Cheaper ones work as well and the ads saying 'do not spend all that much for aids' and went thru a Audiologist that could NOT Would NOT recommend the basic aids.  Mine are PHONAK, are electronically/Computer adjustable for frequencies and tones levels not just amplifiers, were NOT cheap but work well for me, get my phone calls thru them and can mute them when in too much too many directions noise as in crowded stores.  Still behind the ear but also rechargeable and bought the extended warranty that has already replaced the guts in one.  Molded to my ears inserts not the folded points ear pieces so can wear all day no digging discomfort.

Actually grumble AT my wife for TV too loud!!

Edited by DMiller - 02 Oct 2021 at 11:11am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 12:03pm
There are times my wife claims I am as deaf as a rock. For most of my life, I have been able to hear voices in a crowded room of those on the far side of the room, but have trouble hearing someone next to me.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm
 Mine are from uncle Sam now, the last set i bought was $6,500.00 and that's what uncle Sam said these would cost. They do use blue toothe from the phone but sure uses up battery fast if you do. I have not seen anything about sending the TV to the blue tooth for hearing aids.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
mostly deaf in my right ear mostly my fault for not wearing ear plugs when diong things like useing air chiesels and other things that make sharp noises over the years i try to wear ear plugs alot for the last fifteen years  
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm
Deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other one. After 36 years of working around jet engines most of my high frequency hearing is gone and old tractors and guns worked on the low frequency end. I have still not gotten hearing aids but if I tried them and heard what I was missing I might consider it. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:37pm
Open headers and rock and roll not to mention the 4-71 DD in the old twp grader. Was young and didn't know/care? how much it mattered. Hearing is fair but beginning to notice I can't participate in noisy room  where nearby conversations are happening.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 11:44pm
sometimes....silence is golden!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 2:14am
See they do now have Bluetooth output devices for TV to match with ear buds and thought of that for my use but then no one here to bother with increased volume . 
  lady I met is real hard of hearing and she starts signing to me - now as I don't sign makes for hard conversations and trying to talk on phone is real difficult with her hearing me . 
 Noticed my hearing has diminished over last couple years and last DOT physical Doc mentioned I might need to check into aids as whisper test on left side I could not hear him . Then said as long as hearing stays good on right 1 ear does pass physical. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 6:27am

Well,,I'm kinda like most here and I used to tell the wife that I did not really want to hear all the chit in the world that I started to hear when I wore one of my hearing aids I bought when hunting Elk cause I love to hear them big animals bugling!! CHIT,,I was hearing some chit I had NO idea what it was and,,,and,,not too sure I even wanted to find out what them noises were,,,??
 These days, tho,,,I got too many people telling me I HAVE to get some hearing aids but chit my insurance has such a high deductible, hell, it better to buy them El Cheapo ones,,,they's lots of them advertised these days for bout $200 for a pair.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 8:56am
I need them, don't know where to start.  Don't want to shell out big bucks for something that only helps a little bit, at least now I have an excuse around the house.  As for the tv, I would think that anything bluetooth would really cut into battery life, I have to use a bluetooth for my phone and the longest one I can get for it is 6hrs of talk time, idle time is longer but also after about 2-3 years the batteries give out.
Maximum use of available resources!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 10:39am
Hard time picking out a conversation If there is a lot of background noise. And with the pandemic people wearing masks talking thru barriers and not making eye contact it is very difficult to hear and understand. I guess when our hearing is going we actually learn to read lips a little bit. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:13pm
My rechargables are good all day driving, from when I get up at 3 until back to bed at 8 or 9, recharge in about three hours, no battery swaps.  Get phone calls on them generally all day or listen to YT video or Music noise when awaiting in line for loading.  Wife noted she cannot hear the car radio if I place volume where I now like it so they do work well.  

Yes were expensive, am wearing them now, got a two year warranty extension where should either fail in that time they replace both.  Can hear the crickets and heard the Cicadas call as I first got them not knowing they were as active as could not hear them.  Audiologist warned of basic amplifier aids causing more hearing loss than fixed as everything gets amp'd not just the spectrum of loss, mine are adjustable as to loss spectrum ONLY, no other sounds are amplified.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
I also have resound hearing aids.  When I wear them, I can turn the TV way down and hear it good.  Of course, the better half will turn it back up.  She's hard of hearing too.  She also has a pair of aids but does not like to wear them, don't like how they feel.  I received from the VA one of those devices to broadcast the sound through blue-tooth to my hearing aids.  It works great when my TV will cooperate and connect to it/send to my ears.  I found it more trouble than it is worth since my wife is always turning up the sound.

Hearing aids... darn things are great when there's not much noise/ppl talking in a crowd.  In those circumstances, it also raises that up too, along with the voice of whom I'm talking too.  I guess what I'm saying, it amplifies everything, can hear the noise better but because of that, does not help to understand whom I'm talking too.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Saying that, I love listening to my phone through blue-tooth, music, phone calls.  When running down the road on my motorcycle, I can hear my music over the streaming service quite easily.  I was told it would help my tinnitus to wear these.  That's Baloney, don't let anyone tell you it does.  They just allow me to crank up the music over the top of the constant and very loud sirens.  Yet, love the hearing aids. 

Oh, the batteries, they last from 5-6 days, my blue tooth is always on/connected to my phone.

Edited by NDBirdman - 03 Oct 2021 at 2:51pm
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:31am
It seems they can make a battery that lasts for bluetooth hearing aids but not for phone bluetooth  huh, course why would they if they can sell me a new one every 3 years.
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
Well, like most of you, my own fault, life time of open headers, rock n roll, and firearms with no protection. Got so bad, I could not hear on a cell phone. first set of hearing aids helped but still not great. actually, the second, first set was the cheapies, and were of no help at all! took them back after two weeks and traded for a considerably more expensive pair, which, as I say helped, but, I don't think the Audiologist knew what she was doing. She struggled with them, they were programable with a computer, and she wasn't getting it. Anyhow, had those for five years and they went belly up. So now I have Signa's.....not cheap, but they help tremendously. They can be adjusted via cell phone for local conditions, and they are rechargeable, which lasts about 20 hrs. Still not what God gave me, but way better than it was. 
The sad thing is I think my wife's hearing is diminished some because I always had the TV or radio so loud.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:27pm
I have hearing loss in left ear and Doc says hereditary. I don't know how he knows that he never met my parents! Now I have developed tinnitus. Sometimes it bothers me. I am going to an audiologist .
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 4:23am
My Aunt in ID and a few friends of mine have lost hearing in one ear, different doctors have told them ALL is a version of Chicken Pox Virus that has laid dormant then reactivates settling on specific nerves much as shingles does.  One gent I have been a co-worker and friend of lost total hearing in right ear, aids do nothing and has a screaming ring, that has been lessened by using a 'Gamma Knife' radiation technology to sever that damaged nerve to a greater part but not all which limits eventually ending the continued presence of the CP Virus in that nerve.
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:55am
I just got a new set, courtesy of the VA, and they work great. The VA also gave me a remote transmitter that broadcasts direct to my hearing aids. We go out to lunch once a month with neighbors and the gal sits across from me in the booth and is very soft spoken.  I put the new transmitter on the table and I could hear her great. My wife can wear it around her neck in the kitchen and is wonderful. They had given me the previous edition which did not work at all in the restaurant.
You hear complaints about the VA, but I have had nothing but good experiences with their care, over 20 years now.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by ford8nwd ford8nwd wrote:

I just got a new set, courtesy of the VA, and they work great. The VA also gave me a remote transmitter that broadcasts direct to my hearing aids. We go out to lunch once a month with neighbors and the gal sits across from me in the booth and is very soft spoken.  I put the new transmitter on the table and I could hear her great. My wife can wear it around her neck in the kitchen and is wonderful. They had given me the previous edition which did not work at all in the restaurant.
You hear complaints about the VA, but I have had nothing but good experiences with their care, over 20 years now.
I'd be interested in hear a bit more about them, make, model, etc
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic