This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to Start....Lots of A/C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cincylaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to Start....Lots of A/C
    Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 2:25pm
Thanks for allowing me to join the forum everyone!

My father in law passed away in July last year and he was a huge Allis Chalmers aficionado. He, therefore, has a number of tractors and tons of parts all over his property in Mississippi. My wife has tasked me with helping clear things as none of his kids want or can take any tractors.

We were there last weekend and I have tons of photos of all the tractors (in various condition). Other than a shotgun posting here in the Classifieds (since I don't really know all the models and part #'s) and the conditions of the tractors are all over the place, does anyone have ideas on what I should do to sell all of them?

Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 4:06pm
Having a auction would save a lot of time ,no matter what you sell private you will have stuff that will lay around and cost family more time .One auction and its  gone .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 13 Mar 2024 at 4:07pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:23pm
What an auctioneer doesn't steal from you he'll charge you a fortune for his mouth for the day. Then he'll turn you over to the IRS for them to come after you with a calculator. In the long run it may be gone, but at what cost. I'd give stuff away before a crook auctioneer could set foot on my place. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:44pm
Auction is the only way... Put it on Craigslist or FB and you will have 100 LOOKERS and question... and spend TIME for nothing... GET IT DONE as Fred said.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:16pm
This is a hard question to give a simple answer to.  There are many factors, most of which we do not have the answers to yet.  
How many tractors are we talking about?  six or sixty?  That factor will affect what option for liquidation is best.
How big of a hurry are you in to get everything gone?
How much work and effort do you or your family want to put into this process?
How much knowledge do you have about these tractor?  I'm guessing little to none based on your post.
Do you want to make top dollar, or just want everything gone?
Location is also a factor.
Is it strictly tractors, or are there other things to get rid of?  Implements, other farm things, etc...

I find it interesting how many people do not think about all of these factors before jumping right to the auction or craigslist or FB replys.  There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these options.  We need to know more before informed suggestions are given.

Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm
As others have said an auction is a good way to get rid of the Equipment, parts and other farm miscellaneous items. 
 However I've become fond of using the online auctions to sell & buy. Find 1 or 2 doing them in the area the farm is in and discuss with them how to get items arranged and listed. For a fee they may have persons willing to come sort items and get them out of sheds so they can be seen & photographed. I'd consider making a fence or gated boundary to prevent lookers from driving among equipment & buildings, leave a space that allows people to walk through to look at larger things. You'll need someone with skid loader, tractor w/loader or an end loader to help load after the sale no matter how you do it. Usually a neighbor with such equipment can be hired to do loading for a few days. 
 Here in the midwest we have several online auctions that cover large areas. They post items from several states. Look for Auctioneers that are connected to list items online or at least in an area of 150 miles from the farm. please post on here when you have a list or Auction Bill. .. .. .. .. 2 online auctions in our area are; 
a. AuctionTime. 
b. Big Iron. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 8:21am
Some of the pieces?? Perhaps privately. All of the stuff?? AUCTION!! If you don't know anything about these items, then it's hard to represent them or place a value on them. A good auctioneer can help with this and the buyers will set the value. Best of all, at the end of the day, it's all sold.
cincylaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cincylaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 10:46am
Sorry if this isn't permitted but with the volume of tractors and parts (not all shown) I've uploaded the images to a shared drive sorted by a folder of my amateur identification of things. There's like 17 tractors and innumerable parts.

Really appreciate what folks have posted here or messaged to help so far.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Agxy0FhPe4sap0lbNeUQ9iRSPdg8?e=eLb8AY

Tractor Photos

Edited by cincylaw - 14 Mar 2024 at 10:49am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 2:55am
How many trips would one want to take from Illinois to Mississippi , figure time and gas -fuel money etc.  all adds up . it's a big task no mater how you look at . 
nonetheless ,still dead.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 5:07am
Sent you a PM Pivot Message
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 8:54am
as Fred said, the DISTANCE is going to be your problem... In the photos it appears most have been setting a LONG TIME.. so they probably dont run... the LITTLE guy is a "B"... there are a couple D17... the rest are WC, WD, WD45 as are most of the parts ... parts tractors can be $300- 500. maybe a little more if the sheetmetal is great... You going to drive several hundred miles to sell $1000. one weekend.. then do it again in a couple weeks ? ..... you could advertise LOTS of 5-6 tractors together and ONE MONEY for them... but the easy way is to have a auction, go there once for a week... and sell everything and be done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 11:32am
Also once the word gets out around the neighbor hood  that people are in and out hauling things away , and there's no one around to watch the place ,things could start to disappear . That even  happens where people are living .  Thief's watch everything going  on that's how they blend in and take stuff.  

Edited by Fred in Pa - 15 Mar 2024 at 11:37am
nonetheless ,still dead.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 1:21pm
Do you want top dollar or want it gone? Auction is best way to get rid of stuff without a lot of effort. Yes most auctioneers are crooks and yes they report to IRS . Do your homework, talk to some locals about the auctioneers in the area. Talk to an accountant about tax implications, estate and income. Best thing about an auction is they haul it away.
My father was an auction hound. He always claimed he liked going to a dead man's auction. He isn't keeping the good stuff and selling junk . The family is usually trying to get rid of everything.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 7:05pm
Good grief! The man has chit everywhere!! Yeah, I would say auction as well. Lots n' lots of good parts there for AC folks. Some of the implements are probably scrap along with some of the wheels and stuff laying around in the dirt.  Man, there's a career move there cleaning up that property!  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
cincylaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cincylaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 7:08pm
Right?! We get anxiety just stepping onto the property. And I didn’t share all the station wagons he had.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 9:34pm
Wow that’s a lot of stuff.
Sad part is a scrap guy will be bidding at auction 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 6:55am
Good of scrape guys bidding is they load and haul.
nonetheless ,still dead.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 7:04am
I saw the results of two auctions like that last year. The scrap guy got 90%. Someone tried to buy a rare part from the scrap guy, he would not sell. $115 a ton here now and then you pay auction fees. 
http://lonsallischalmers.com
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 7:22am
Scrappers intelligence varies a lot! Anywhere from hardly any to really quite bright. Anyone that would rather get $5 sending something to China than $50 selling to someone with cash in hand..... I've talked to some of those guys, always leave me scratching my head.

Have also bought several things from guys on the other end of the spectrum. Got an IH suitcase weight angle iron from one once. Asked him how much, oh, couple bucks. All I had was a five, said keep it. Really nice guy.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:52am
Scrap is less than $200. a ton.... WC-WD are in the 3000 # range....... Thats why i said if it has been PARKED for 20 years and not complete / run / flat tires...  your looking at $300. Each ..... Now a pile of Fenders and Gas tanks i would make sure to advertise and try to get someone to buy the LOT.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 9:54am
Scrap here is $150/t and YOU have to get it to the scrap yard for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic