This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where to get a 175 cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
All I can say is Martys set up on engines has been unbeaten in official pulls. And in B/S pulls, been beaten one time. I cant say nothing else for a fact. Statistics are one thing footage is another!
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Sponsored Links

mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 4:19pm
Pankey says the biggest cam he ever seen duration wise was a comp cams grind in a allis g226 bored to 4 5/8 with a Ross flat top piston with 1.3 compression height on a 8 inch rod swung by a 6 inch stroked crank . He says anyone can figure the static comp.by those values . He says that Barney Taylor and Chad Steineger both pulled against it and both agreed it didn't have lugging power on the other end but both agree it was good enough when it died to win about as many natpa points championships as it got featured in hook magazine .mike tarbils 403ci engine had a lot stacked up against it I guess but some how it persevered. Sometimes what's on paper as a parts list don't add up but makes headlines in papers of popular pulling magazines. Cotton crazy you would have never known how Marty's stuff worked or didn't work if you hadn't listen to Mitch and removed the had clutch. However the stuff you had before might have worked if you had removed the hand clutch and made the wheel adapter before doing Marty's work and Pankey work all at the same time

Edited by mgburchard - 31 Aug 2014 at 4:25pm
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:15pm

yes wi 50 we can grind from billet or produce the cam core/billet.these are pics of some billet cams we sell for the j-d 720/730 diesel.these were made from 8620 3" diameter round bar and are carburized to harden and prevent abnormal wear .high helix angle cam gears can present a challenge depending on camshaft configuration.we would be interested in discussing your needs,just private message me thanks
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:04am
Pank, to clarify.....I never had any valve problems other than bent push rods Cant say about the other tractors that cam was in.

Do you still have the numbers for that cam you got? I cannot find them or I'd put them out here.

Go ahead and put the numbers out for the cam I got from you...no matter to me

Edited by Larry(OH) - 01 Sep 2014 at 9:05am
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:04am
You mean to tell me cottoncrazy that you're hitting the most popular pulls in Tennessee and surrounding areas. Running all types of classes of various weights, speeds and are practically undefeated?

Why just reading this forum I thought everyone needed at a minimum of 400cid to even compete. I read here how much pulling pank claims to be doing and how many engines he and his 5 highly skilled employees are cranking out. Surely you could pull the choke and give all pankeys engines a chance one of these times.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, removing the hand clutch is some serious rocket science......and I don't have a clue about engines, induction systems and camshafts.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:04am
Cottoncrazy's enthusiasm is making me want to shake the mothballs off a couple of tractors and get back into the frackus.

That being said, there are a very few folk I've seen on here (or met as a result of the Allis Forum) that I'd want to consult/collaborate on building a tractor. I'll list them.

Dr. Allis
OPS heads
wi50
Dave Karpel
Steve@B&B

They each have their specialities - and I'll definitely be talking to them if the "fever" ever gets a hold on me enough to start pulling again.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:13pm
Cotton crazy pulls in middle tn . Marty tell them how you did when you attempted to pull natpa against tarbills as you say to big ci for head to big a cam to big a intake valve to much compression . oh we know how it went no nelson wc featured in hook magazine. Dave karpell freshens don karpells Ronnie shipman built motor like WiFi does Taylor built motors .

Edited by mgburchard - 01 Sep 2014 at 12:16pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:18pm
Hey Panky, while your at it - why don't you tell the folks how you did against us?

I'm gettin' about as tired of your crap as anybody else. Results are the gist of braggin' rights - and I haven't seen yours. Plain and simple.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:25pm
Oh Pankey got beat by guys that gave up on allis engines and built a Chevy engine. The Chevy didn't fair well against the IH red diamond of russels though.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm
I don't pull natpa. Never did, but I have several customers who are either in the top and very competitive, or dominant..... I ran outlaw high rpm and not much on my tractor was legal for natpa. If you weren't so ignorant pank, you would know that by the pictures of my tractor.

I do pull NTPA amongst the highest levels of competition and the best builders in this country and perhaps the world. I do just fine, you can check the results for yourself.

We each have our own expectations. Though mine are much higher than yours.

Edited by wi50 - 01 Sep 2014 at 12:42pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm
Mistaken identity I guess wrong nelson kid remembered I guess sept 12 th be a date to remember.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

Oh Pankey got beat by guys that gave up on allis engines and built a Chevy engine. The Chevy didn't fair well against the IH red diamond of russels though.

We didn't give up on Allis engines, we just played the rules the boys who couldn't beat the Allis' set.

It isn't our fault they changed the rules that any engine a particular manufacturer used could be used in the same manufacturers tractor. The Oliver boys happened to forget Allis used the 292. They blew the horn on Russell's 292 powered H, and he moved right on up to the 650 CI IH Red Diamond.

True on Russell's tractor! Beast for sure. But, he put us in the trophy spot by breaking as much as he beat us. Way too much torque in too small a package. Which is why he moved on up to Molines. His big Red Diamond in a 560/656 would be nasty combination - but too heavy for a W-type Allis class.

WD's just do it better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:37pm
Well Pankey went there to pull against tractors with tractor engines but everyone got scared and put him against tractors with vehicle engines . so he finished third and didn't break like the Chevy did . water and steam at the end of the second pull it made . Of coarse he made more than two pulls .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:50pm
Pankey says thank you .says your complement is thanks . not to shabby for a four banger to by your account take second place .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 2:59pm
We pulled for 20 years before 2003. Saw and was involved in about any modification practical for a W-engine a long time ago.

I hang around here to see how those combos have either been refined, or recycled. The only real excitement for me is Marty's flowbench work and results - which are obviously able to tailor to about any combo for a W-engine out there. From a 221 up to whatever.

WD's just do it better.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 7:57pm

. The wizard went over this with you when you was arquing that 60 teeth in 360 degree was a 6 degree timing change but now your agreeing with wizard that its more . the allis 226 can gear tooth is about .400 thick a 8 degree eccentric cam bushing has .090 more material on one side . if .090 is 8 degrees how much is .400 ?

Ole Cotton sure seems like a sensible guy to me Pank? He is winning, how is the Tenn Scud doing?? (just question #8 or 10 that you have been asked and wont answer)

Any gear that has 60 teeth moves 6 degrees per tooth, I dont care if it is .000002" diameter or 102 miles diameter. That is basic first day geometry, Every circle is 360 degree, divide that by 60 equal  parts and the answer is 6. Marty was right, and still is right 6 on the cam 12 on the crank. My camshafts all run 1/2 crank, so do Marty's, I don't know what you Tennessee nitrogenouses are trying to run??? Are your overdriving your camshafts at 1 1/2 to 1 to get more air in the engine???

As for your question about the cam bushing your question shows that you are still not up to speed with degrees, are you still looking at a thermometer instead of a degree wheel??? I bet the guys at Summit got a laugh when you asked for a degree wheel with both F and C scales?? LOL
 You have been told here 25 times that the distance that makes a one degree arc on any diameter changes with the given diameter but you need not believe any of us so just keep looking at that twin scale degree wheel and let us know when you figure out why your cam timing moves from summer to winter. 

Edited by Butch(OH) - 02 Sep 2014 at 6:41am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:05pm

Mistaken identity I guess wrong nelson kid remembered I guess sept 12 th be a date to remember.

Mistaken identity, no. Pure stupidity though I can believe. You've spent 4 years trying unsuccessfully to prove your genius to me. Note Ithe unsuccessfully part, I wouldn't want your poor reading comprehension level to make you believe something else.

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Larry(OH) Larry(OH) wrote:

Pank, to clarify.....I never had any valve problems other than bent push rods Cant say about the other tractors that cam was in.

Do you still have the numbers for that cam you got? I cannot find them or I'd put them out here.

Go ahead and put the numbers out for the cam I got from you...no matter to me

If you can't get any data to which seams to be the case here after multiple requests, I could measure it up and give you some fairley accurate data and then give you an idea what application it would be well suited in. I don't have a fancy electronic cam measuring system, but I do have degree wheels, dial indicators, ets and have spent my for share of time with them. A friend has a Cam Dr and at times I head over and see him. Various cam grinders will also measure it and give you accurate data.

In this case, acquiring accurate data will be helpful so you don't wind up with the wrong parts in the wrong engine, or at least have a saleable or trade worthy part. Don't take someone's word for it, get the numbers for yourself.

I've got several cams around people have traded me, some of them are going to work in some applications and some are going to stay on the shelf until my kids throw scrap away.

Edited by wi50 - 01 Sep 2014 at 9:26pm
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:32am
Thanks wi.  I'll give him a call and see what it is for sure.  He told me, but I cannot find where I wrote the numbers down.  I would let someone see them and decide.  THe old cam he got from me was a RPM cam, nothing else.  Mine ran good around 5000, but drop the rpm, it fell quick.  Great for brush pulling around here, but no way you could use it at 2000 rpm, mph class. 
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:16pm
A lot of difference in volume of a 240 ci engine vs 440 ci engine . for every 50ci the cam needs 10 degrees more duration at .050 I've never tried to impress WiFi . I successfully show his ignorance 280 advertised duration can if you know what lifter rise it was measured at hit 214 degrees at .050 lifter rise . lunati cams has several in catalog that do just that . sometimes you just put bait out to catch the not so smart fish in the sea.

Edited by mgburchard - 02 Sep 2014 at 7:36pm
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 5:45am
"For every 50CI the cam needs 10 degrees more duration at .050" ?????? This piece of wisdom should be in the Bosch Automotive Handbook, or maybe Pank should write his own.  WOW, what a thread!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

"For every 50CI the cam needs 10 degrees more duration at .050" ?????? This piece of wisdom should be in the Bosch Automotive Handbook, or maybe Pank should write his own.  WOW, what a thread!

Ya, add that one to the long list of others and a person could publish and pretty darned funny book. LOLLOLLOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 6:48pm
Yep for every 50 ci increase with same head and intake will need 10 more degrees of duration to run in same rpm range as the lesser cubed smaller cam engine
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:38pm
Hudsonator, is this pank guy for real?

We should give pank a round of applause for being the enviromentalist he is. Just think of the fuel he would waste going to the dyno challenge or a tractor pull, just getting on the trailer without a winch would be a challenge.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 5:15pm
Anyone got the sept./Oct.edition of antique puller magazine?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 3:47pm
Larry Ohio post isky cam specification here so readers can see Pankey was telling truth about most cams come from who ever at 280* advertised
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 11:08am
Originally posted by cranky cranky wrote:

yes wi 50 we can grind from billet or produce the cam core/billet.these are pics of some billet cams we sell for the j-d 720/730 diesel.these were made from 8620 3" diameter round bar and are carburized to harden and prevent abnormal wear .high helix angle cam gears can present a challenge depending on camshaft configuration.we would be interested in discussing your needs,just private message me thanks
here you go butch the can Pankey traded Larry has a lobe like this one of crankys
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:12pm
Panky says this, panky says that, why can't panky speak for himself???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic