This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where to get a 175 cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
is he the wizard? that's who I would want to speak with.
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

1800-426-2261 can craft speak with charles

That number is for Cam Craft Cams ?

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 7:18am
There's a number of cam grinders Charlie. Crane, Cam Craft, Lunati, Comp Cams, just to name a few names. There's smaller less common names for example Mike Jones is a camshaft design expert who I have talked to and given information and flow numbers to and had grind cams in the past. Gary Baker a well known Farmall engine builder out of Michigan grinds cams. Just like everything else, there's dozens more out there.

In dealing with Mike Jones, he has sent me cams but service is slow, I had mike do a few cams for different engines. his numbers four some different engines were close to what I had wanted weather the engines were simple slightly modified 240 did or 400+ cid ones. Gary Baker has a grind that works well and takes the time to grind a split duration cam, meaning the intake and exhaust lobes have different grinds on them. Gary is fairley quick and I'll send him several cores machined and prepped for grinding at a time to make it easy. Berry is fine and reasonably fast, but don't let them do the thinking.    

And yes pank, I did read Larry's post. He traded you an old cam that had been passed around the block and bought one that worked much better....you used a cam in an engine that you don't know if it really worked or not. Couldn't move the boat on the first run and on the fifth run it went kaboom....so you're only helping me reenforce my point. Had your engine been so successfull and exceeded expectations, a simple repair would have been done and you'd be pulling. Instead you quit.

You do make a fine secretary though pank. You are able to look up phone numbers and post them as well as avoid questions by Cranky and Dr Allis. Larry wants you to post some information, Dr wants some information and Cranky wants to know why the cam ramp has no effect on lifter acceleration.

Just as in the good old days your man crush on me is evident. You'll reply to my posts and ignore others questions.   
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:01am
I cannot find the numbers for the old ISKY cam, but here is what the machine shop did.  Springs installed  1.715 @ 110#, open  1.140 @ 230#, bind @ 1.055.  All I can say about that cam is it was a wide open, high rpm cam that was good for brush pulling but not mph pulling.  When I started that, I switched cams.  I have a Barney cam in it and the cam got in trade from you Pank is setting here waiting on my pulling funds to quit paying college tuition for my kids.  After that, we'll go pullin again. 
Another question that I have is who ground the cam I ended up with? Is there any numbers out there floating around for it? 

Edited by Larry(OH) - 28 Aug 2014 at 1:34pm
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:20am
Marty cranky asked who the wizard is . your post is the first post calling one the wizard so tell him who you were talking about and I kept going with . Dr allis 12.5 runs well on 110 motor octane for years with no indication of detonation on pistons when engine gets freshened . yes camcraft cams is the number that is given

Edited by mgburchard - 28 Aug 2014 at 8:21am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:24am
Larry give Mitch a call 423-242-8596
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:31pm
Sooooo, you don't actually KNOW what the timing is set at.......TDC or 30 degrees BTDC.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 3:20pm
Yes Dr.I know where the timing is . its where it runs best . surely your a old hand and know how to time by ear
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:52pm
Not something with that kind of compression.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 6:56pm
Yes with that compression . one of the most common mistakes a person makes is timing one to a preset number instead of what the engine wants .the higher the compression the less total timing the engine wants. NGK -9 race plugs to can't run the ole ac45 .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 7:04pm
The dynamic compression is just 12.5.1 because of what the can blows down and the gas is 110 motor octane not 110 advertised . advertised trips a lot of guys up on cams and gas
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:34pm
If yours isn't running anymore (as someone reported earlier in the thread that it may be blown up...again), maybe setting the timing by the way it sounds isn't the best way to do it and should not be advised to others?? It appears you have a lot of theoretical info that doesn't work very well in real life. That's been mentioned a time or two on here also. There are a few pullers on here that are looking for sound advice and don't want to spend good money after bad from getting bad advice.

If you have ran your tractor (this summer)and it has repeatedly done well then I stand corrected.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 28 Aug 2014 at 9:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:58am
Motor that's stuck in everybody's head was in 2010 its sept 2014 now right.plug readings will tell you where timing is and Pankey has two timing lights that have advance .yes I agree with you on the theoretical stuff this thread is a good example where Marty's theory on camshaft was proven wrong by real world running.

Edited by mgburchard - 29 Aug 2014 at 7:00am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:51am
Can you provide any results? Why Brian even offered to cover the august dyno challenge in the Hook magazine....rember your thread on yt wanting an engine build off? An event was scheduled a matter of a few hours away from you and the date had already been set. I made you well aware of the event at that time.

Now please address Cranky's question as to why you say duration has no effect on lifter acceleration.....he's a real wizard.

I did not call you a wizard, I called you a "self proclaimed wizard". Meaning you think your a wizard, and the rest of us think you are a joker.

If you'd like me to explain in some simple terms, 2 cams with same duration numbers but different lift numbers would have different lifter acceleration rates (with the same lifter of course). If 2 cams had the same advertised duration, but different .050" duration numbers, the lifter acceleration rate would be different on them, the ramp rate is different.

Please explain why duration numbers have no effect on lifter acceleration, as I just explained they do. You posted earlier they don't.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:53am
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

The wizard says ramp rate or lifter acceleration depends solely on lifter diameter not duration.

Just do you don't get lost.
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 2:14pm
Building an engine has to do with A lot more important things, other than cam timing & duration. The combinations of dimensions of all parts, such as rod to stroke ratio, that controls the piston duration at TDC & BDC. Piston pins offset right or left & A lot more things I won't get into here and now. I have built all kinds of engines, for 45 years & I still don't  know what all the right answers are, so lets all learn together, I learn something everyday, & I still don't know  half of what some people claim they to know. Its all about competition, thats why its fun.     
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:43pm
If the cam grinder uses .002 lifter rise for his starting and stopping point then his advertised duration may be 280 but the cam will not be as big as the other cam grinder that uses .010 lifter rise for starting and stopping point for a 280 degree advertised duration . again cams have to be compared at the same lifter rise . advertise duration is manipulated to sell cams to people who don't know camshafts and want the bigest . duration is time measured from a lifter rise starting point grinder chooses to use for opening point till it gets back to that number on closing side of cam .

Edited by mgburchard - 29 Aug 2014 at 8:42pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 7:58am
Marty maybe cranky will explain minor and major intensity to you . and why its important where the duration is and not solely what the duration numerically is .

Edited by mgburchard - 30 Aug 2014 at 10:17am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:37am
Congratulations, you're starting to learn, a few days searching around the net is doing you some good. Now you'll be able to figure out why your previous statements are incorrect.

Now let's work on the 56 degrees of overlap, but you'll first need to figure out more of your cam profile to know if the valves are moving or not.

You see w all have different expectations, for some taking pictures of their tractor on the trailer or in the garage makes them happy. For others competing and doing well meets their expectations. For others, it's doing well in nothing but the highest levels of competition.

As Mike pointed out earlier, all your "theories" are just that until proven. So where's the proof, a video of an engine running rough in the garage doesn't mean much......solid results from success in high levels of competition will.
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:29am
it seems this post veered off to .050 lift duration compared to advertised duration specs of camshafts.by using industry accepted intensity values for each application we can see that some cam specs. listed on this post are not within most engine builders desired range.to simplify valve motion in the range of .000 -.050 lift is to be considered,too slow and valve burning may occur,too violent(fast) and seat and valve face deterioration will occur,some refer to this as seating velocity.the lifter dia. limits valve opening rates but does not dictate opening rates.cam lobe design primarily controls valve action.to overcome lifter dia.limits nascar engines were built with tilted or canted lifter bores to increase opening rates..these engine were limited to .875 dia.(ford size) to level the playing field.this "trick" was utilized well over 25 years ago.i strongly suggest that most pullers will benefit from the years of knowledge and experience gained by cam experts,charles at camcraft was listed and is more than competent to advise anyone needing cam help.

Edited by cranky - 31 Aug 2014 at 10:01am
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:46am
to clarify lifter dia. limits valve lift rates, the larger the lifter dia. the faster the cam can be designed to open valves.if you exceed these opening rates for a given lifter face dia. the edge of the lifter will gouge or dig into to the camshaft lobe with disastrous results.

Edited by cranky - 31 Aug 2014 at 6:58pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:27am
Another factor is camshaft base diameter is taken into account, for a larger base diameter, either a faster rate could be achieved if needed, or a nominal rate to be gentler on the parts involved.

Would you grind billet cams cranky? Or would you prefer to make the blank also? I'm just thinking out loud here. I made a few billets in the past and had sent them out for a roller cam in an oliver project where we were able to make some pretty good dyno numbers on.

Edited by wi50 - 31 Aug 2014 at 10:32am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:38am
Cranky please tell Marty what design flank the allis factory cam core design that's going to be reground is ? He is starting to learn maybe. I still don't think he has the advertised duration difference down pat yet. In order to know what a can hydraulic ,major and minor intensity is you must have more than advertised duration .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:46am
A mushroom lifter diamter of 1.25 can actually have more intensity than a .842 roller lifter up to a point . I would have to do some computing to find the point where roller would surpass mushroom but i would think it would be way up the rpm range out of antique pulling rpms
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:58am
To sum this up Marty took one piece of info advertised duration and started as a lot of inexperienced people do filling in the rest of the blanks and making assumptions . Marty says camshaft is to slow on his assumptions and would burn valves. Larry says camshaft was passed around and no engines burned valves that's the proof Marty can't see. I do agree with cranky Charles is a cam grinder and more qualified to get as in depth as client needs or wants to go.

Edited by mgburchard - 31 Aug 2014 at 10:59am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 11:34am
No cam grinder advertises their advertised duration at .002".... Sorry that's like saying my cam has 360* duration but the lifter isn't moving for 100*.

You should thank cranky for exposing to you why your previous statements are wrong, as of course they are.

Parts get passed around when they don't work up to someones expectations. Rember, I explained that different people have different expectations. Larry bought a cam with reasonable numbers as I pointed out, and walla, works better.

Earlier you were claiming an intake valve closing point of 68*abdc.....depending on ICL, rocker arms used I have a very good idea of the duration. You can't try and bs us into thinking that this engine was competitive. Though it ran well enough to shoot a video of idleing in the garage I'm sure. I'm certain those stock rods held up fine, as the cylinder pressure was quite low and of course the cast pistons were fine. Timing on it would not be near as critical as of it was built properly.

Now build an engine at 16/1 comp ratio as your example and build it to have a reasonable rate of volumetric efficiency and see if it makes a run.

Edited by wi50 - 31 Aug 2014 at 12:20pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:32pm
Marty you silly silly boy . cam grinders do use different lifter rises for advertised lift . if we do like cam grinders say and look at two cams at .050 lifter rise and have the same duration at .050 for both cams even though they both have different advertised durations they will make the same peak horsepower. Now you say lifter rise is to slow and valve will burn it didn't Larry proved that . reason is your looking at one point instead of all things like the big orange fellow recomended . the lifter raisers raisers the pushrod pushing the rocker arm at a ratio and opens the valve . lifter rise velocity ×rocker ratio = valve speed and that's at what you were worried about burning but as Larry stated it doesn't .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:47pm
Did you know that isky typically uses .020" lifter rise for a advertised duration. Sometimes you'll see .006", maybe .007" or .012" for some.

When you learn what the numbers on the cam card mean, you'll figure out where the decimal point goes. There's a significant difference from .020"-.002". Tape measures just don't suffice.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:52pm
Intake closing point was figured with 7.5 rod 4.5 stroke 4.125 bore much like what Larry ran cam in that again didn't burn valves like you said . Larry said it ran well for brush pulling . I do not know how much compression Larry ran however the one you dubbed wizard did show that I believe if it had 16.2 static it would fall to 12.5 dynamic compression . which is still a good compression for low end torque without having to advance the cam to increase cylinder pressure as most do . it is safe to say that most builders pullers don't get into this level of knowledge most who do are just trying to impress their lesser knowlageable friends . however it is safe to say that you can be successful and not need this level of detail or understanding . Marty has won some pulls not understanding it all .

Edited by mgburchard - 31 Aug 2014 at 1:57pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 2:04pm
And this 16.2:1 static engine you speak of is only theoretical....here you were telling us how great it ran, now its theoretical just as it was when you first mentioned it.....stop lying and pulling numbers from thin air for online calculates.   Read my signature line.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic